+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Document fraud

Lodry

Oct 19, 2018
Hello, does anyone know how long it takes a visa office to investigate a document to make sure it is legitimate? My document is legitimate, I just want to know if they can drag it out forever or if they have a time frame they have to get back to me by. It has been 2 weeks already. I checked it out on the Government of Canada website and it said they usually call or fax to verify the document - this sounds like it shouldn't be taking more than 2 weeks unless they still have it sitting in a pile and no one even looked at it yet. The visa officer said he would get back to me ASAP.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello, does anyone know how long it takes a visa office to investigate a document to make sure it is legitimate? My document is legitimate, I just want to know if they can drag it out forever or if they have a time frame they have to get back to me by. It has been 2 weeks already. I checked it out on the Government of Canada website and it said they usually call or fax to verify the document - this sounds like it shouldn't be taking more than 2 weeks unless they still have it sitting in a pile and no one even looked at it yet. The visa officer said he would get back to me ASAP.
They can take as long as they need. Why are you even asking about document fraud if you are saying that it's legitimate?

Lodry

Oct 19, 2018
They can take as long as they need. Why are you even asking about document fraud if you are saying that it's legitimate?
Because they accused me of document fraud. I am just wanting to know if anyone had it happen to them before and if they know how long it takes. The VO told me in about 2 days or as soon as possible.

Last edited:

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They can take as long as they need to verify your documents. What documents are they?

Lodry

Oct 19, 2018
They can take as long as they need to verify your documents. What documents are they?
It's just a life insurance document listing my wife as the beneficiary. I purchased it since I applied when I changed jobs, so I took it to the interview with me with our new proofs. His problem was with the amount of the policy for my age - he thought they only have one set amount you can purchase for your age (like if I am 35 I can only get a policy for 50,000 and no other amount). I told him it depends on what you want to pay - you can get different amounts. I had the original with me and gave it to him. It is stamped and everything. It's not that he could have thought it was done with Photoshop or anything. He just kept saying it is not the right amount for my age. I don't think he understands life insurance. I wouldn't think this would take very long to verify - he can just call the company and ask what are their policy amounts and premiums, or fax them my original document and get them to check it. That is why he said he would get back to us in about 2 days or ASAP. I am wondering if he forgot about us, or just tried to contact them once and they didn't get back to him. I could be waiting here forever. He kept my original too.

Marilyn13

Jul 8, 2018
It's just a life insurance document listing my wife as the beneficiary. I purchased it since I applied when I changed jobs, so I took it to the interview with me with our new proofs. His problem was with the amount of the policy for my age - he thought they only have one set amount you can purchase for your age (like if I am 35 I can only get a policy for 50,000 and no other amount). I told him it depends on what you want to pay - you can get different amounts. I had the original with me and gave it to him. It is stamped and everything. It's not that he could have thought it was done with Photoshop or anything. He just kept saying it is not the right amount for my age. I don't think he understands life insurance. I wouldn't think this would take very long to verify - he can just call the company and ask what are their policy amounts and premiums, or fax them my original document and get them to check it. That is why he said he would get back to us in about 2 days or ASAP. I am wondering if he forgot about us, or just tried to contact them once and they didn't get back to him. I could be waiting here forever. He kept my original too.
That sucks, but I think you just have to wait for them to get back to you. If your past the 12 months you could fill out the webform inquiring about your application, maybe they will check with the visa officer for you. It is probably just that the insurance company didn't get back to him and he didn't follow back up with them yet.

Gavin83

Jun 21, 2018
Because they accused me of document fraud. I am just wanting to know if anyone had it happen to them before and if they know how long it takes. The VO told me in about 2 days or as soon as possible.
I didn't think they actually came out and accused people. I thought they just checked your documents after you left without telling you. I read on CIC webstite they can check your documents at any stage during the application right up until you have the visa in your hand. They also randomly check peoples applications for fraud, and they say that is one reason why some applications take longer than 12 months. The bad news is they could be checking all of your other documents again and that is why it is taking so long, but as long as they are all legitimate, it is just going to take longer for your application to go through and you should still get your visa. Good luck - hope you hear something back soon.

Lodry

Oct 19, 2018
That sucks, but I think you just have to wait for them to get back to you. If your past the 12 months you could fill out the webform inquiring about your application, maybe they will check with the visa officer for you. It is probably just that the insurance company didn't get back to him and he didn't follow back up with them yet.
My wife did fill out the webform, but they will probably just say the same thing "will take as long as they need". This is just 1 document that should be very easy to verify - the VO shouldn't have told me about 2 days or ASAP if he was going to make me wait another month or more. We have been waiting 14 months as it is and seemed to only get the interview that soon because an MP got involved.

Lodry

Oct 19, 2018
I didn't think they actually came out and accused people. I thought they just checked your documents after you left without telling you. I read on CIC webstite they can check your documents at any stage during the application right up until you have the visa in your hand. They also randomly check peoples applications for fraud, and they say that is one reason why some applications take longer than 12 months. The bad news is they could be checking all of your other documents again and that is why it is taking so long, but as long as they are all legitimate, it is just going to take longer for your application to go through and you should still get your visa. Good luck - hope you hear something back soon.
I have already been waiting 14 months, but I guess it is what it is!

Reactions: Gavin83

Lodry

Oct 19, 2018
Well here's an interesting update. My wife's MP's office emailed her yesterday saying their contact at the IRCC just replied to their email about our insurance document. Apparently, the IRCC told the MP's office that they emailed the head office of my insurance company on Nov. 1st to confirm the document and were waiting for their reply.

Interestingly, we received our GCMS notes today and they show an email correspondence from October 19th between the visa office and the head office of my insurance company where the insurance company responds to them on the same day (October 19th) telling them that my insurance document is valid.

The IRCC is saying not hearing from the insurance company is the only thing holding up our application??

Galahad

Feb 5, 2018
Well here's an interesting update. My wife's MP's office emailed her yesterday saying their contact at the IRCC just replied to their email about our insurance document. Apparently, the IRCC told the MP's office that they emailed the head office of my insurance company on Nov. 1st to confirm the document and were waiting for their reply.

Interestingly, we received our GCMS notes today and they show an email correspondence from October 19th between the visa office and the head office of my insurance company where the insurance company responds to them on the same day (October 19th) telling them that my insurance document is valid.

The IRCC is saying not hearing from the insurance company is the only thing holding up our application??
Obviously the visa office is lying/stalling for time for some reason. Tell your MP what is in your notes.

Reactions: Lodry