+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do wife and children get separate passport requests ?

vprasady266

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
I am sponsoring my wife and children for PR. I recently got a passport request email, I see there is only my wife's UCI number mentioned in the email. Do my children who are dependents in the application get separate emails requesting passports or is this the email requesting passports for both my wife and children?

Reactions: Var2k

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am sponsoring my wife and children for PR. I recently got a passport request email, I see there is only my wife's UCI number mentioned in the email. Do my children who are dependents in the application get separate emails requesting passports or is this the email requesting passports for both my wife and children?
Ours only had one passport request addressed to the principal applicant to cover spouse and all dependents (accompanying). If you read carefully the letter indicates you must provide the passports for all accompanying family members as well.

Reactions: Armstrong17

vprasady266

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
Currently VFS is closed and we were asked in a separate email to request two way transmission of passports. When we called VFS they say they have passport request only for my wife and not my children. They asked us to contact high commission to get more details and request letters for my children. Confused about what is happening!!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Currently VFS is closed and we were asked in a separate email to request two way transmission of passports. When we called VFS they say they have passport request only for my wife and not my children. They asked us to contact high commission to get more details and request letters for my children. Confused about what is happening!!
I doubt vfs knows - they likely only got the same passport request letter as you. I can't say for sure, though - did they say they usually get info on dependents as well?

Again, there's only one passport request letter that covers accompanying dependents.

Beyond that, can't say, except that vfs in my case was absolutely useless and clueless. I'd contact ircc or high commission if you're still really concerned.

vprasady266

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
VFS was telling they don't have information on UCI numbers of my children and asked us to contact high commission to get separate passport requests for them.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
VFS was telling they don't have information on UCI numbers of my children and asked us to contact high commission to get separate passport requests for them.
Well, do try that, or through ircc by phone or webform too.

But I don't trust vfs at all for basic info like this.

You could also send the passports to vfs with a note in parallel to high commission.

puneet5

Jul 9, 2017
I m also having the same issue...there are several others on ndvo group having same concern...we sent email to embassy and tweeted too...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I m also having the same issue...there are several others on ndvo group having same concern...we sent email to embassy and tweeted too...
If it's a choice between IRCC / NDVO completely screwing up at the same time a large number of files and forgetting that family class sponsorship will often include dependents and not including them on the one hand; and,
VFS local or global help line having no idea what they're talking about ...

Well, between those two options, my guess is that VFS is misinformed.

Keep in mind that (again, as far as I'm aware) VFS checks the files and sends to the high commissions/embassies - it has no authority or decision making and primarily fulfills a logistics function.

And the PPR letters sent out are addressed to principal applicant - there is no separate letter for dependents.

Reactions: puneet5

vprasady266

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
I sent a mail to IRCC and Delhi Immigration office too, waiting for their response. Unfortunately have only 30 days to fix all this!!
I am planning to send all passports to immigration office, will this be a good thing to do or would it be better to wait till IRCC comes back with a response?

muscletech

May 26, 2020
App. Filed.......
24-02-2020
AOR Received.
10-03-2020
I sent a mail to IRCC and Delhi Immigration office too, waiting for their response. Unfortunately have only 30 days to fix all this!!
I am planning to send all passports to immigration office, will this be a good thing to do or would it be better to wait till IRCC comes back with a response?
On the website and tweets, it is clearly mentioned that unasked passports will be returned back. There isn’t any point in sending passports of the people of whom VFS has no instructions.

vprasady266

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
I have checked some previous emails my friends got for passport request, their emails seem to mention just the UCI of principal applicant and file number.
I have spoken to VFS people, under the new system where VFS centers are closed, there is a separate two-way transmission email for pickup/drop of passport.
I have been sent only one two-way transmission email mentioning my wife's UCI. This is why VFS is not willing to take in passports of my kids.
In the passport request email, I find this -
------------
2) Photographs

Please provide two (2) recent photographs along with your passports for yourself and each accompanying dependent. For instructions on photo requirements and specifications, see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445EB-e.pdf
--------------
I suppose this means we need to send passports of dependents as well?
I did get separate medical examination request emails mentioning UCI of each member in the application, would it be the same with passport requests too?

vprasady266

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
I checked with several people who got passport requests previously(last year and just before the pandemic), the request email has UCI of principal applicant only, asking to send passports of each dependent separately in separate envelopes. Looks like the two-way transmission email is what is causing the confusion. Passport request has the UCI of just principal applicant and application number in it.
I spoke to VFS again and this time they said they can pickup and send passports, so I paid and arranged a pickup.
I will keep this thread posted on what happens here after...........

Reactions: armoured

puneet5

Jul 9, 2017
I checked with several people who got passport requests previously(last year and just before the pandemic), the request email has UCI of principal applicant only, asking to send passports of each dependent separately in separate envelopes. Looks like the two-way transmission email is what is causing the confusion. Passport request has the UCI of just principal applicant and application number in it.
I spoke to VFS again and this time they said they can pickup and send passports, so I paid and arranged a pickup.
I will keep this thread posted on what happens here after...........
Great...did u speak today? And they agreed? How much u paid