+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do wife and children get separate passport requests ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Please provide two (2) recent photographs along with your passports for yourself and each accompanying dependent. For instructions on photo requirements and specifications, see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445EB-e.pdf
--------------
I suppose this means we need to send passports of dependents as well?
I did get separate medical examination request emails mentioning UCI of each member in the application, would it be the same with passport requests too?
On the website and tweets, it is clearly mentioned that unasked passports will be returned back. There isn’t any point in sending passports of the people of whom VFS has no instructions.
Each recipient has to look at their letter - but it is not VFS that decides what are 'unrequested passports.' The letter from IRCC (in all cases I am aware of) says to submit passports for principal applicant and dependents. Specific language for those that need visas is "provide your passport or travel document and a passport or travel document for each accompanying family member."

So the question is not whether the passport has been requested for the other accompanying family members; the question is whether the VFS person spoken to actually knows what they are talking about.

My own experience has been that info from VFS office - only one, cannot speak for others - and through their online chat/telephone helplines is not reliable. On top of that, I was never able to get info specific about my file - just general statements that turned out to be worse than zero information because did not apply to my case.

Each will have to decide on their own what to do, but the passports for the PA and accompanying family members have been requested (if the text of the letter is same as quoted above, and it appears it is).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Dear all,

They are accepting both passports now for pa and dependent.
Glad you got this.

I gather that VFS in India's procedures a bit different in that you have to 'book' delivery of each passport separately or they wont' even receive it. This seems like a logistics wrinkle that VFS is not using in other locales, and hopefully worked out.

My guess is somehow they've crossed their wires at VFS about procedures for some other type of passport requests where there are separate applications for each family member (eg TRV) and new covid-delivery procedures different from physical delivery.

In other words, hopefully this is a temporary confusion issue and once VFS/IRCC gets it straightened out will go more smoothly. (For comfort, similar VFS issues in other locales too as their procedures weren't designed to only accept passports by courier)

vprasady266

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
My application is fully approved now and passports are on their way for my wife and children.
So that no one has confusions like I did, please note the below:

1 - There will be only one email that comes and only the UCI of the principle applicant will be mentioned in the email.
2 - Children/dependents in the application will not get separate emails for sending passports or VFS two-way transmissions. VFS was misinformed/has confusions in this regard.

Thanks to other senior members in forum for pointing these to me, I used the information to discuss and convince the VFS team to take in the passports of my children too.

Thanks again and hope this information helps others who could get into a confusion like I did.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks to other senior members in forum for pointing these to me, I used the information to discuss and convince the VFS team to take in the passports of my children too.

Thanks again and hope this information helps others who could get into a confusion like I did.
Thank you for updating how you worked it out - it's extremely helpful for others to know the practical experience, esp when there are miscommunications/issues between VFS and IRCC/embassies/consulates.

When they update their procedures esp in covid, these issues pop up. I had a delay with a different VFS office because they have completely incomprehensible instructions about how fees are charged, and phone/chat support people didn't know anything.

Ellazizi

Oct 24, 2019
Hi all,
Is there a standard time to receive a passport after it’s been submitted? I’m really getting frustrated with the lack of communication with the VFS in Lagos. My passport has been submitted since November 3rd. This is the 6th week. Each time I track it, it shows it’s ready for collection. Their phone line not reachable. Same as their chat room. I sent a mail over 2 weeks ago. I was given a ticket and told they’ll respond to me within 2 business days. It 2 weeks plus and no response. I don’t understand why they don’t respond to mails. Please I’ll grateful if someone can tell me what to do.

Goutham_Shibu

May 5, 2022
My application is fully approved now and passports are on their way for my wife and children.
So that no one has confusions like I did, please note the below:

1 - There will be only one email that comes and only the UCI of the principle applicant will be mentioned in the email.
2 - Children/dependents in the application will not get separate emails for sending passports or VFS two-way transmissions. VFS was misinformed/has confusions in this regard.

Hi,

I have 2 dependents as part of my application. Currently residing in India

The passport request letter sent to me has been addressed only to me ( principal applicant ).
1. Will there be a separate request letter for each of my dependents?
2. The letter says we need to send documents of dependents in a single package. But VFS 2 way courier does not provide this option, they allot 3 separate packages. How did you deal with this ?

Kindly assist

Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

I have 2 dependents as part of my application. Currently residing in India

The passport request letter sent to me has been addressed only to me ( principal applicant ).
1. Will there be a separate request letter for each of my dependents?
2. The letter says we need to send documents of dependents in a single package. But VFS 2 way courier does not provide this option, they allot 3 separate packages. How did you deal with this ?

Kindly assist

Thanks
1. There will be no separate request letter. Your passport request letter, as discussed earlier in this thread, most surely includes the language ""provide your passport or travel document and a passport or travel document for each accompanying family member."

Or similar.

2. That's no issue as long as all three go together.

Reactions: Armstrong17

Bn2ca

Mar 6, 2020
its 2023 and the same confusion is still there. The PPR is addressed to PA but contains the same language. Yet VFS has not updated their webform to include these under one package.

Reactions: armoured

Krit27

Dec 12, 2017
its 2023 and the same confusion is still there. The PPR is addressed to PA but contains the same language. Yet VFS has not updated their webform to include these under one package.
Hello

we are in similar situation. The principal applicantgot the passport request. How did you send the documents for the dependents? Was it one package or two different package and did you get the passport stamp for dependants?

appreciate your comment!
Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello

we are in similar situation. The principal applicantgot the passport request. How did you send the documents for the dependents? Was it one package or two different package and did you get the passport stamp for dependants?

appreciate your comment!
Thank you!
YOu'll have to work it out with the local VFS office. The passport request for a spousal app includes dependents - read the text again. As discussed above in this thread.

Krit27

Dec 12, 2017
YOu'll have to work it out with the local VFS office. The passport request for a spousal app includes dependents - read the text again. As discussed above in this thread.
Thank you! I read the thread already. The text does say accompanying dependents as well. So will speak to the VFS and then arrange for a pick up.
Regards,

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you! I read the thread already. The text does say accompanying dependents as well. So will speak to the VFS and then arrange for a pick up.
Regards,
Some minor details will depend on country (including how to pay), possibly they might be picky about how packaged etc. India has a specific system for paying and registering with courier (that I know nothing about).

My experience (not india) was that VFS was not picky about how packaged on receipt, but required payment for each family member they are processing. (Note though in many places the biometric payment early in process *might* include the passport request processing). When returning, they sent all together by courier but separate envelopes.

Krit27

Dec 12, 2017
Some minor details will depend on country (including how to pay), possibly they might be picky about how packaged etc. India has a specific system for paying and registering with courier (that I know nothing about).

My experience (not india) was that VFS was not picky about how packaged on receipt, but required payment for each family member they are processing. (Note though in many places the biometric payment early in process *might* include the passport request processing). When returning, they sent all together by courier but separate envelopes.
Oh okay. In India, we normally have to book the vfs pick up and pay for every individual. Just that I dont have clarity from others who did it, that it should be one package but for two individuals (paid upfront) or it should be two separate. And not sure how picky they are when it comes to the name on the passport request document.