+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

do paid internships count in Express Entry (FSW)?

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
How much is your total experience without internship?
without the internship it would be 2 years and 7 months ! But how exactly do they count this ? because in the application you're only able to choose the month and year and not the date. cuz one of my experience starts on nov 29th but it counts nov as one whole month.

so based on that calculation I would be 2 years and 10 months. but if we were to go based on actual dates it would be 2 years and roughly 7-8 months.

and my current internship started on June 4th and goes on till August 21st. This is not accounted for in my above work experience. but I have filled this on my application as well.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
without the internship it would be 2 years and 7 months ! But how exactly do they count this ? because in the application you're only able to choose the month and year and not the date. cuz one of my experience starts on nov 29th but it counts nov as one whole month.

so based on that calculation I would be 2 years and 10 months. but if we were to go based on actual dates it would be 2 years and roughly 7-8 months.

and my current internship started on June 4th and goes on till August 21st. This is not accounted for in my above work experience. but I have filled this on my application as well.
Once you send out your application, they will be county on the day exact. However for some reason EE does only count in full month and is always rounding up. hence you can have additional time that you cannot prove. So when receiving ITA, you need to make sure, that you actually hit the requested amount for your work experience points.

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
Once you send out your application, they will be county on the day exact. However for some reason EE does only count in full month and is always rounding up. hence you can have additional time that you cannot prove. So when receiving ITA, you need to make sure, that you actually hit the requested amount for your work experience points.
That makes sense. But I am not worried about my qualifying points. I was just confused as to why it didnt drop when I removed my internship experience.

hope2018

Champion Member
Mar 14, 2018
That makes sense. But I am not worried about my qualifying points. I was just confused as to why it didnt drop when I removed my internship experience.
can you write down here how you have included work experience? I have a feeling that you already have 3 years of experience even after removing first internship.

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
can you write down here how you have included work experience? I have a feeling that you already have 3 years of experience even after removing first internship.
work exp 1 : April 2014 - April 2015 (in reality this is exactly 1 year Apr 7 - Apr 7) - Full time paid
work exp 2: Nov 2015 - Jul 2017 (in reality it is Nov 29th - July 6th) - Full time paid
work exp 3: June 2018 - Ongoing ( in reality it is June 4 - Aug 21 expected) - Full time paid
this is what it is currently after I removed the co op internship from my undergrad time. coop internship (Aug 2011 - Jan 2012)

hope2018

Champion Member
Mar 14, 2018
work exp 1 : April 2014 - April 2015 (in reality this is exactly 1 year Apr 7 - Apr 7) - Full time paid
work exp 2: Nov 2015 - Jul 2017 (in reality it is Nov 29th - July 6th) - Full time paid
work exp 3: June 2018 - Ongoing ( in reality it is June 4 - Aug 21 expected) - Full time paid
this is what it is currently after I removed the co op internship from my undergrad time. coop internship (Aug 2011 - Jan 2012)
W1: 13 months
W2: 21months
W3: 2 months

total: 36 months/3 years
I think that is what is happening.

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
W1: 13 months
W2: 21months
W3: 2 months

total: 36 months/3 years
I think that is what is happening.
oh yea. you're right ! but it would eventually drop when they check it with the actual dates. the application does not allow you to choose the dates. So i should just be a few weeks shy of 3 years in reality.

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
From what I've been told - yes an internship does count, assuming that it was paid, and you were on a work permit (e.g. IEC, PGWP). If you're on a student permit, they would be flagging you as a student for this period, and work experience would be ignored.

But it's a grey area - and you're best off to avoid mentioning the exact details of your employment. I did an internship in Canada while enrolled at a foreign university, and graduated while still in Canada and subsequently continued working at the company. I simply listed it as full-time work experience, and so far haven't had any issues yet in my PR application.

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
From what I've been told - yes an internship does count, assuming that it was paid, and you were on a work permit (e.g. IEC, PGWP). If you're on a student permit, they would be flagging you as a student for this period, and work experience would be ignored.
I wasn't on a student permit. its more like a residence visa. and the internship was actually part of my final semester for an on-job exposure. and even though I got paid I dont have any proof of it. I only have an experience letter saying I did my coop program with them and it states the kind of work I did.

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
I wasn't on a student permit. its more like a residence visa. and the internship was actually part of my final semester for an on-job exposure. and even though I got paid I dont have any proof of it. I only have an experience letter saying I did my coop program with them and it states the kind of work I did.
If you don't have any proof of payment, regardless of the nature of the employment, you shouldn't be claiming points for it. When you submit your application, you'll be required to submit a reference letter from your employer, and it's possible the VO will request employment records/paystubs/T4 taxform, at which point your application would be in trouble as you have nothing to show.

Check with this employer whether they have any employment records or proof of payment to send you.

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
If you don't have any proof of payment, regardless of the nature of the employment, you shouldn't be claiming points for it. When you submit your application, you'll be required to submit a reference letter from your employer, and it's possible the VO will request employment records/paystubs/T4 taxform, at which point your application would be in trouble as you have nothing to show.
I dont have proof of payments. but I do have a reference letter from them. But in anycase I think it is safer that I just dont claim points for it since I would be safe even without it.

davanzo

Aug 1, 2018
Hi guys,

I have more than 2 years of internship in Brazil that I did while I was enrolled in my university. Do you think this experience might count for Express Entry FSW?

If so, I will have to get in touch with the company and ask for proof of payment and proof of hours that I worked. What else should I ask them to state on the letter? This letter will be written in Portuguese, would I have to pay for a certified translator to translate the letter to English or could it be any translation (non-certified - way cheaper)?

Thank you!

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
Hi guys,

I have more than 2 years of internship in Brazil that I did while I was enrolled in my university. Do you think this experience might count for Express Entry FSW?

If so, I will have to get in touch with the company and ask for proof of payment and proof of hours that I worked. What else should I ask them to state on the letter? This letter will be written in Portuguese, would I have to pay for a certified translator to translate the letter to English or could it be any translation (non-certified - way cheaper)?

Thank you!
So there are few questions you need to answer here before you can use the internship as a work experience for EE
Are you claiming this internship as your primary NOC? and if so, were you qualified to work under this NOC at the time of your internship or was this a part of your education for credit ?

Claiming internship work experience for points under EE is a gray area and it has and hasn't worked in different scenarios. But as a rule of thumb as per the canada website, if you were doing this internship as a part of your undergrad program for credit, you shouldn't be claiming those for points but then again that is only for Canadian work experience(Not totally sure about this), and the exceptions may vary.

and yes you would have to get it translated and also probably notarized if you do plan on using this internship experience.

davanzo

Aug 1, 2018
So there are few questions you need to answer here before you can use the internship as a work experience for EE
Are you claiming this internship as your primary NOC? and if so, were you qualified to work under this NOC at the time of your internship or was this a part of your education for credit ?

Claiming internship work experience for points under EE is a gray area and it has and hasn't worked in different scenarios. But as a rule of thumb as per the canada website, if you were doing this internship as a part of your undergrad program for credit, you shouldn't be claiming those for points but then again that is only for Canadian work experience(Not totally sure about this), and the exceptions may vary.

and yes you would have to get it translated and also probably notarized if you do plan on using this internship experience.
Yes, this internship would be my primary NOC (I'm a civil engineer). I was qualified to work as an civil engineer intern. Only about 2 months of the 2 years internship were part of my educational credit to graduate.

I worked 20 hours per week for the great majority of it, but towards the end (lets say the 3 last months) I worked full time (40 hours a week) because I didn't have classes anymore.

Do you think I can use this as the work requirement for EE?

One more question, I did one year of my bachelor at the University of British Columbia in Canada as an exchange student. Does this count for anything in the EE system?

Thank you!

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
Yes, this internship would be my primary NOC (I'm a civil engineer). I was qualified to work as an civil engineer intern. Only about 2 months of the 2 years internship were part of my educational credit to graduate.

I worked 20 hours per week for the great majority of it, but towards the end (lets say the 3 last months) I worked full time (40 hours a week) because I didn't have classes anymore.

Do you think I can use this as the work requirement for EE?

One more question, I did one year of my bachelor at the University of British Columbia in Canada as an exchange student. Does this count for anything in the EE system?

Thank you!
as far as I'm aware, you cannot count the time period when you were still a student meaning you were not actually qualified to do the job and were getting trained as a student, but about the rest am not sure and I would defer you to some of the more informed members in this regard @hope2018 @bimale4bipeople @Vitesze