+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

do paid internships count in Express Entry (FSW)?

S

sutyfornow

So what i understand now is that internship after graduation counts if paid and not part of education whether its outside canada or inside.. right

Reactions: olak131

olak131

Mar 23, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
10/2/2017
Doc's Request.
8/4/2017
AOR Received.
10/2/2017
So what i understand now is that internship after graduation counts if paid and not part of education whether its outside canada or inside.. right
Yes.
It counts. Unless done on study permit.
Now the technicality though is, it depends on how the internship is structured.
Anything can be called internship these days...lol
For instance, For CanaDian trianed Pharmacist: They go through 1000 hours of internship which is split through the 4-year program. Such that they do a chunk of the hours while school is on break(I have one in my Pharmacy right now).
When they are done school, they usually have 150 hours left to do.
Not that Canadians will need this...lol but if you were to count the hours, they can't count the ones done while in school. Whereas, for me Foreign-trained Pharmacist, I am required to do all 1000 hours all at once! Some decide to pay you while some don't. In my case, I was paid so it counts except for the study permit snag.
Back home, internship for doctors and pharmacists are done after grad and fully paid with a license to practice!

Last edited:
S

sutyfornow

Yes.
It counts. Unless done on study permit.
Now the technicality though is, it depends on how the internship is structured.
Anything can be called internship these days...lol
For instance, For CanaDian trianed Pharmacist: They go through 1000 hours of internship which is split through the 4-year program. Such that they do a chunk of the hours while school is on break(I have one in my Pharmacy right now).
When they are done school, they usually have 150 hours left to do.
Not that Canadians will need this...lol but if you were to count the hours, they can't count the ones done while in school. Whereas, for me Foreign-trained Pharmacist, I am required to do all 1000 hours all at once! Some decide to pay you while some don't. In my case, I was paid so it counts except for the study permit snag.
Back home, internship for doctors and phatmacists are done after grad and fully paid with a license to practice!
Olak im going to send you an inbox plz check it to guide me thank you in advance

Reactions: olak131

AmirHNK

Nov 6, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Passport Req..
16-05-2017
From CIC website: [http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp]

Determine your eligibility – Federal skilled workers

Minimum requirements
Skilled work experience

Your work experience must be:

• at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
  • paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count),
  • in the same job,
  • within the last 10 years, and
  • at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC).

The above text clearly says that unpaid internship do not count. This means paid internship counts!

Internship definition: the position of a student or trainee who works in an organization, sometimes without pay, in order to gain work experience or satisfy requirements for a qualification.

Going by above definition for internship, they are a part of a program of study by default.

My take on this is that you can clearly apply for FSW with your internship experience gained outside Canada given you satisfy all the other requirements of the FSW stream. If you look enough in the forum, you will find people who received PR by claiming their internships toward FSW eligibility.

Reactions: sutyfornow

dharini2412

Mar 27, 2018
Yes, as long as the company considers you to have been an employee and is willing to write a letter of employment/letter of reference...
Hi one question please,
So if you were interning for ur master's thesis, what did you write for your year of education? included those 8 months or not?

e.g. if i was interning from jan 2017 to december 2017
and my course was from april 2016 to jan 2017 and then the above mentioned internship

so for my education do i write april 2016 to december 2017 (including the internship)?

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
@hope2018
Hey I just noticed you were really informed and active on these forums and wanted to get your opinion on this.
I got my ITA on June 13th and I am in the process of arranging all docs. My CRS was 481, but I included this full time internship experience of 6 months that I had which was done as Coop during my final semester at school (I was in Dubai holding a resident status). I do have an experience certificate with my job role in it though. So I thought I could count it.
Anyhow the minimum CRS score in my draw was 451, and I understand that upon evaluation if my CRS drops it is not supposed to go below 451. So if I do remove the internship experience my score drops to 456 which is still higher than the cut off during my draw.
Do you think I should remove the internship experience in my PR application and submit ? or should I just leave it for them to evaluate and decide as it does seem to be a gray area. Even if I were to remove it, I also have this other internship that I am currently doing which is again full time and paid and is out of school, so these 3 months of internship would anyway bring it back to 481 by the time I actually submit my PR application.

So the advise am looking for is on whether I should remove the first internship experience or let it be for them to decide ? Could it affect my application ? I dont think there is any misrepresentation here too seeing that I am submitting all relevant documents to support my claims.

hope2018

Champion Member
Mar 14, 2018
@hope2018
Hey I just noticed you were really informed and active on these forums and wanted to get your opinion on this.
I got my ITA on June 13th and I am in the process of arranging all docs. My CRS was 481, but I included this full time internship experience of 6 months that I had which was done as Coop during my final semester at school (I was in Dubai holding a resident status). I do have an experience certificate with my job role in it though. So I thought I could count it.
Anyhow the minimum CRS score in my draw was 451, and I understand that upon evaluation if my CRS drops it is not supposed to go below 451. So if I do remove the internship experience my score drops to 456 which is still higher than the cut off during my draw.
Do you think I should remove the internship experience in my PR application and submit ? or should I just leave it for them to evaluate and decide as it does seem to be a gray area. Even if I were to remove it, I also have this other internship that I am currently doing which is again full time and paid and is out of school, so these 3 months of internship would anyway bring it back to 481 by the time I actually submit my PR application.

So the advise am looking for is on whether I should remove the first internship experience or let it be for them to decide ? Could it affect my application ? I dont think there is any misrepresentation here too seeing that I am submitting all relevant documents to support my claims.
Thanks. You have a good score.
Actually it's a contentious topic and a well debated one.
If applying as canada experience class it's a big no no.
If not, then if it was full time and you were paid and can show reference letters for it as IRCC states, you can count that in.

I would also suggest to take other senior members opinion also. But you have a very good score. If removing it keeps your score above draw cut off, then that would be the cleanest option.

But it's not a misrepresentation, worst case they can not count that in.

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
Thanks. You have a good score.
Actually it's a contentious topic and a well debated one.
If applying as canada experience class it's a big no no.
If not, then if it was full time and you were paid and can show reference letters for it as IRCC states, you can count that in.

I would also suggest to take other senior members opinion also. But you have a very good score. If removing it keeps your score above draw cut off, then that would be the cleanest option.

But it's not a misrepresentation, worst case they can not count that in.
Thanks @hope2018
well actually the internship was full time and outside canada class ofcourse, but the thing is I have no proof of getting paid. The company are not able to provide any payslips since this is from almost 7 years ago and neither can I retrieve any bank statements from back then.

So the deadline for me to submit my application is Sep 13th, and me meds is scheduled for Aug 9th. and everything else has already been uploaded into my application.

If i removed my coop internship from my undergrad time and wait for about another month and get my experience certificate from my current internship which ends on Aug 21st, I'd be back to CRS 481 after removing the first internship.
Once my PR application is submitted, I cant really change anything else later though correct ? if that is the case I may choose to wait until this internship is over and then upload and submit. What would you recommend ?

hope2018

Champion Member
Mar 14, 2018
Thanks @hope2018
well actually the internship was full time and outside canada class ofcourse, but the thing is I have no proof of getting paid. The company are not able to provide any payslips since this is from almost 7 years ago and neither can I retrieve any bank statements from back then.

So the deadline for me to submit my application is Sep 13th, and me meds is scheduled for Aug 9th. and everything else has already been uploaded into my application.

If i removed my coop internship from my undergrad time and wait for about another month and get my experience certificate from my current internship which ends on Aug 21st, I'd be back to CRS 481 after removing the first internship.
Once my PR application is submitted, I cant really change anything else later though correct ? if that is the case I may choose to wait until this internship is over and then upload and submit. What would you recommend ?
You can go ahead and submit even now by removing internship experience. How much is your total if you do that?

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
You can go ahead and submit even now by removing internship experience. How much is your total if you do that?
if i remove it right now it is 456. the cut off in my draw was 451.

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
You are good to go then, submit it by removing then.
I just removed the internship and previewed my score in the PR application page and the score is still at 481 and didnt drop ! which is weird !

It dropped even when I checked last week ! is something wrong with the CRS calculator ?

hope2018

Champion Member
Mar 14, 2018
I just removed the internship and previewed my score in the PR application page and the score is still at 481 and didnt drop ! which is weird !

It dropped even when I checked last week ! is something wrong with the CRS calculator ?
How much is your total experience without internship?