+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

do paid internships count in Express Entry (FSW)?

rn86

May 11, 2015
Do paid internships count towards express entry work experience (for fsw)? More specifically if someone worked during the summers of the graduate program, was paid for his/her services to the company on a full-time basis (40 hours/week), and was not a full-time student during those months.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

zaki100

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
I need this answer too!!
as i am also wondering, cos i had 4month of internship full time during the summer.

bimbim

Star Member
Jun 2, 2013
Your paid internship work experience will be recognized if you're not a fulltime student and the experience was gained on a valid Post Graduate Work Permit.

kvn

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
It's a big grey area for this subject to me at least. I believe the paid internship should count for FSW only if you have one year of paid continuous work experience even if you are full time student on your study permit.

The ineligibility for this(paid internship) have been explicitly mentioned for CEC and EE but nothing for FSW. If you read the Immigration Act then it's possible that the VO cannot pull out any clause from it to deem the work experience ineligible.

In short, the paid internship is not ineligible, nor does it say it's eligible.

*note: I have a year of co-op work experience(I mentioned that this was obtained during my studies) and the EE system does recognize the work experience as eligible for fsw but the system didn't grant me points for EE. So I suspect I might be correct.

esantos

Jan 30, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
13-Apr-2015
File Transfer...
12-May-2015
Med's Done....
07-Apr-2015
Passport Req..
23-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
07-Aug-2015
Wait a minute. we cannot claim any work done during school period?

I had a full time job while doing my bachelor in Brazil.
In Brazil you can work full time (afternoon and evening) and attend university in the morning. or the opposite, attend university at night and work full time during the day. And even by doing so your studies are considered full time as well.

My bachelor degree was recognized by WES as a 4 year Canadian bachelor.

I am concerned now that they might reject the Brazilian work experience I claimed. ??? ???
My reference letters state that I worked full time (and also mention the amount of hours worked per week)

Do you guys think this might be a problem?

Reactions: Dentist 1234

clarasteven

Oct 17, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
IELTS Request
26-09-2015
Did Cic accept your work experience as you were a full time student?

AmirHNK

Nov 6, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Passport Req..
16-05-2017
I have the same situation. I have a full-time paid work experience during my bachelors in Canada. Since I wasn't studying at the time I was working (though still considered by the university as a an enrolled student), I have mentioned in my EE profile that I was not a full-time student at the time of work (because of course I was not taking any courses, to be full-time one must be taking at least 3 courses).

So I am very interested to know if my work experience can be considered toward FSW category.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AmirHNK said:
I have the same situation. I have a full-time paid work experience during my bachelors in Canada. Since I wasn't studying at the time I was working (though still considered by the university as a an enrolled student), I have mentioned in my EE profile that I was not a full-time student at the time of work (because of course I was not taking any courses, to be full-time one must be taking at least 3 courses).

So I am very interested to know if my work experience can be considered toward FSW category.
Any experience gained while being on full-time student status inside Canada won't be considered as valid work experience.

That apart, this experience cannot be used as foreign work experience as it was acquired inside Canada. So it cannot be counted towards CRS points.

Reactions: madhukar0807

AmirHNK

Nov 6, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Passport Req..
16-05-2017
Asivad Anac said:
Any experience gained while being on full-time student status inside Canada won't be considered as valid work experience.

That apart, this experience cannot be used as foreign work experience as it was acquired inside Canada. So it cannot be counted towards CRS points.
Ok so I should be expecting a rejection on my OINP application? Now I am wondering if it is even worth pushing for immigration in my situation.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AmirHNK said:
Ok so I should be expecting a rejection on my OINP application? Now I am wondering if it is even worth pushing for immigration in my situation.
If you've used this work experience to gain eligibility and/or score CRS points, recalculate eligibility and CRS by removing this work experience to check the impact on your application.

AmirHNK

Nov 6, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Passport Req..
16-05-2017
Asivad Anac said:
If you've used this work experience to gain eligibility and/or score CRS points, recalculate eligibility and CRS by removing this work experience to check the impact on your application.
That would make me ineligible for EE. I am now curious to see how OINP reacts to my application.

singhs

Star Member
Dec 1, 2015
My part time work experience during my full time studies is counted by SINP and they have given me the nomination as well..But now i am worried whether CIC will going to accept the same or it will straight away reject the part time experience during my full time studies. If they reject then i will also become ineligible (it will become 66 points).. Need suggestions from experts.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
singhs said:
My part time work experience during my full time studies is counted by SINP and they have given me the nomination as well..But now i am worried whether CIC will going to accept the same or it will straight away reject the part time experience during my full time studies. If they reject then i will also become ineligible (it will become 66 points).. Need suggestions from experts.
If this experience was acquired outside Canada, nothing to worry here.

singhs

Star Member
Dec 1, 2015
Yes, it was acquired outside canada (in india)...

Thanks alot from bottom of my heart for helping me every time.

God bless you