+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

do paid internships count in Express Entry (FSW)?

mehr2

Jan 30, 2017
Hello,

could you please tell me if the master thesis project which I have done in a company while I was a student ( To finish my master studies and get my degree ) and I was PAID for it can be counted as work experience for Express Entry? I did 8 months master thesis project in a company outside canada.

Thanks a lot

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
mehr2 said:
could you please tell me if the master thesis project which I have done in a company while I was a student ( To finish my master studies and get my degree ) and I was PAID for it can be counted as work experience for Express Entry? I did 8 months master thesis project in a company outside canada.
Yes, as long as the company considers you to have been an employee and is willing to write a letter of employment/letter of reference...

mashamasha

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mehr2 said:
Hello,

Thanks a lot
Yes - I had similar experience I claimed points for and have successfully received PPR. Just make sure you get reference letters listing all the necessary information. Good luck!

S

sutyfornow

mashamasha said:
Yes - I had similar experience I claimed points for and have successfully received PPR. Just make sure you get reference letters listing all the necessary information. Good luck!
How did u get points for 8 months only? Shouldn't it be a year?

satish6529

May 2, 2017
Hey guys, need your valuable advice.

I've worked as a trainee engineer in an MNC for 1 year. Post working therein for 1 year, I was promoted to a different post. I've got salary statements and letter of appointment for both training tenure as well as for the different post. Could anyone kindly advise whether I can show training period also in my experience?

Thanks in advance!

umar32085

Star Member
Jan 27, 2017
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Paper Application
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
25-07-2016
Med's Done....
11-08-2016
Interview........
24-07-2016
Passport Req..
22-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-01-2017
satish6529 said:
Hey guys, need your valuable advice.

I've worked as a trainee engineer in an MNC for 1 year. Post working therein for 1 year, I was promoted to a different post. I've got salary statements and letter of appointment for both training tenure as well as for the different post. Could anyone kindly advise whether I can show training period also in my experience?

Thanks in advance!
Yes you must show that to claim extra points. Suppose you got appointed there as a Trainee Engineer in Jan 2016. After one year, that is, in Jan 2017, you got promoted to Senior Engineer. In both of these tenures, you had different duties. Just ask your employer to make 2 experience letters, one for each post. If your employer disagrees, request him to make a single letter and mention both tenures with duties in it.

Lifehack

Dec 19, 2016
Category........
FSW
Hi

I have a 3 month Internship from UK.I have accidentally put it in my work history.As I am not wanting to claim point,I want to remove it from my Work history and just keep in my personal history.Will it make my profile ineligible,I am worried about it?I can keep it in my work history but the problem is reference letter from the employer.They have only provided me a generic reference letter and I don't have any extra documents not even payslips,so I want to remove it.

I have also worked a part time job while I was studying for M.Sc I have not disclose it in my work history or personal history. I have worked for 20 hr per week for 9 months.Should I include it in my personal history?

I have some payslips from that job do I need to include any extra documents when I am putting experience in my personal history or just write a single LOE explaining everything.

Thank you for answering my queries.

Regards
Lifehack

S

sutyfornow

umar32085 said:
Yes you must show that to claim extra points. Suppose you got appointed there as a Trainee Engineer in Jan 2016. After one year, that is, in Jan 2017, you got promoted to Senior Engineer. In both of these tenures, you had different duties. Just ask your employer to make 2 experience letters, one for each post. If your employer disagrees, request him to make a single letter and mention both tenures with duties in it.
Is internship considered apprenticeship?

ruhin

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
Asivad Anac said:
If this experience was acquired outside Canada, nothing to worry here.
I created my profile with my Canadian RA experience during my M.Sc. and according to CIC website, I am eligible for FSW, not CEC. I didn't get any point for my work experience. I got ITA with that profile. Should I go ahead and apply?

AmirHNK

Nov 6, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Passport Req..
16-05-2017
Any help?
Did you add intern or trainee?
You need to have at least 1 year of full-time and continuous experience at a specific NOC to be eligible for EE. Internships are fine as long you had met the requirements of the relating NOC of your internship job as stated on the government's website. If that is satisfied, it does not matter if your internship was in Canada or outside Canada, the work you did during internship will be accepted.

I used my internship work to apply for immigration. Both the province of Ontario and CIC accepted my internship experience. I know others who applied with internships and received PR.

olak131

Mar 23, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
10/2/2017
Doc's Request.
8/4/2017
AOR Received.
10/2/2017
You need to have at least 1 year of full-time and continuous experience at a specific NOC to be eligible for EE. Internships are fine as long you had met the requirements of the relating NOC of your internship job as stated on the government's website. If that is satisfied, it does not matter if your internship was in Canada or outside Canada, the work you did during internship will be accepted.

I used my internship work to apply for immigration. Both the province of Ontario and CIC accepted my internship experience. I know others who applied with internships and received PR.
As long he wasn't on a student visa when the internship was done!
I always like to stress that cos I was refused on this premise last year.

AmirHNK

Nov 6, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Passport Req..
16-05-2017
As long he wasn't on a student visa when the internship was done!
I always like to stress that cos I was refused on this premise last year.
True but to work for year or longer and full-time as an intern in Canada, one always need to have a work permit. FYI, I am not considering TA/RA as a full-time job experience here.

Last edited:

AmirHNK

Nov 6, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Passport Req..
16-05-2017
I created my profile with my Canadian RA experience during my M.Sc. and according to CIC website, I am eligible for FSW, not CEC. I didn't get any point for my work experience. I got ITA with that profile. Should I go ahead and apply?
I am pretty sure that won't count because it was abtained in canada under a study permit and not a work permit!

CIC used to accept TA/RA as full time work experience until a few years ago but not since the express entry. I know a friend who applied for and received PR under the paper based system some 4-5 years ago by claiming his TA/RA experience which he obtained during his Masters studies.

Under the new system, if someone was a visiting professor or researcher in Canada while holding a work permit, and he/she did research or tought at a Canadian university, their RA work will be eligible for EE if it was full time and lasted at least for a year.

Last edited:

olak131

Mar 23, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
10/2/2017
Doc's Request.
8/4/2017
AOR Received.
10/2/2017
I
True but to work for year or longer and full-time as an intern in Canada, one always need to have a work permit. FYI, I am not considering TA/RA as a full-time job experience here.
I came to Canada as a student when you had to wait six months then apply for off-campus work permit to work outside campus.
My refusal letter clearly stated that any experience acquired under work permit while enrolled as a full time student isn't eligible for EE. My internship was for 18 months paid!