+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to submit checklist documents twice?

RyanD91

Star Member
Apr 14, 2019
I am a few days away from submitting both an open work permit application as well as a spousal sponsorship for PR (inland) application and in the order of listing things it mentions to submit the checklist items for both applications.

Both applications seem to want to see my current temporary residency visa, birth certificate and passport etc.

Do I need to scan and print these twice for my application package?

Also, even though I am applying for an open work permit, it is likely that I will be self employed for much if not all of my time leading up to a decision on my PR application. I just added it to extend my time in canada with my wife while we wait for a decision and get a job through an employer only if necessary. Do I require a job offer/ or something along those lines? I didn't for my post graduation work permit, and like I said I am currently fully self employed via e-commerce.

All help is greatly appreciated

-Ryan

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I am a few days away from submitting both an open work permit application as well as a spousal sponsorship for PR (inland) application and in the order of listing things it mentions to submit the checklist items for both applications.

Both applications seem to want to see my current temporary residency visa, birth certificate and passport etc.

Do I need to scan and print these twice for my application package?

Also, even though I am applying for an open work permit, it is likely that I will be self employed for much if not all of my time leading up to a decision on my PR application. I just added it to extend my time in canada with my wife while we wait for a decision and get a job through an employer only if necessary. Do I require a job offer/ or something along those lines? I didn't for my post graduation work permit, and like I said I am currently fully self employed via e-commerce.

All help is greatly appreciated

-Ryan
The apps are separate handled by 2 different departments, so yes, checklists and docs for each one. No, you don't need a job offer, you are applying for an OWP meaning you could work anywhere.

RyanD91

Star Member
Apr 14, 2019
The apps are separate handled by 2 different departments, so yes, checklists and docs for each one. No, you don't need a job offer, you are applying for an OWP meaning you could work anywhere.
Ok thanks, noted.

The last thing we are waiting for is a notice of assessment for my wife (sponsor) until we submit. I just submit an application to stay in canada as a visitor yesterday (my current work permit expires in 5 days)

Do I have to submit my PR/ new work permit package before Dec 6th (when my current work permit expires) or will it be viable to submit during my period of implied status (awaiting final decision on visitor visa)? As it stands I am legal in canada on an open work permit, and will begin to remain legal in canada under implied status as of Dec. 7th awaiting decision for my visitor permit.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Ok thanks, noted.

The last thing we are waiting for is a notice of assessment for my wife (sponsor) until we submit. I just submit an application to stay in canada as a visitor yesterday (my current work permit expires in 5 days)

Do I have to submit my PR/ new work permit package before Dec 6th (when my current work permit expires) or will it be viable to submit during my period of implied status (awaiting final decision on visitor visa)? As it stands I am legal in canada on an open work permit, and will begin to remain legal in canada under implied status as of Dec. 7th awaiting decision for my visitor permit.
I think you answered your own question. Since you have applied for the visitor visa you have implied status after your current work permit expires on the 6th, therefore you do not need to file your app before that. Does your wife have a CRA account? If so she can download/print the NOA directly from there.

RyanD91

Star Member
Apr 14, 2019
I think you answered your own question. Since you have applied for the visitor visa you have implied status after your current work permit expires on the 6th, therefore you do not need to file your app before that. Does your wife have a CRA account? If so she can download/print the NOA directly from there.
Ok, I was just wondering if I send my application package for PR/ OWP on December 10th for example if it will be valid considering at the time my legal status will be implied status waiting for decision for visitor visa? If I understand you correctly- this would be all good?

She just recently got a CRA account and we are now waiting on the code to gain full access to the account and that is our hurdle. It is my hunch that it could arrive later than Dec 6th. We made the account last week, with no idea that we had to wait for a code.

I made my CRA account a few years ago so I must have completely forgot about this step.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Ok, I was just wondering if I send my application package for PR/ OWP on December 10th for example if it will be valid considering at the time my legal status will be implied status waiting for decision for visitor visa? If I understand you correctly- this would be all good?

She just recently got a CRA account and we are now waiting on the code to gain full access to the account and that is our hurdle. It is my hunch that it could arrive later than Dec 6th. We made the account last week, with no idea that we had to wait for a code.

I made my CRA account a few years ago so I must have completely forgot about this step.
Yes, that should all be good. She didn't get a hard copy of last years NOA from CRA, they usually send one if not signed up on-line I believe. Back when I signed up with CRA waiting for the code was annoying as I needed something right away too.