+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a Visitor's Visa?

Americanteacher

Sep 13, 2021
I am an American who is married to a Canadian. I have been to Canada many times before and since the marriage.
I have now applied for PR in Canada. Now that the PR application has been submitted - Do I have to have a visitor's visa to
visit him in Canada this summer while it is being processed? We spoke to different immigration consultants. Some have stated
I have to have it - while another said I don't. Please advise. I don't want them to pull my PR application if I come to visit him this
summer. I am a teacher in the US and will not leave my current teaching job until I have been approved to move there permanently.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You do not need to apply for a visitor visa before and having an PR application in Canada doesn't change it.
It's fine to visit your spouse and specially you have a job to return to after.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Thank you. I have heard that if I come into Canada without a visitor's visa my PR will be cancelled.
There aren't visitor visas for American citizens (you can get a visitor record which basically is a piece of paper stating how long you can stay in Canada). Whoever is telling you this is just flat out wrong. If they're an immigration consultant, run don't walk, far far far away from any other advice they're giving you.