+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DL extract to ON G license - complete experience

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
So question
If one fails in g2 and after this submits back home driving experience letter to take g directly..can he do this way..thanks
No, if you fail g2, you cant give g directly.

Also, practically speaking, even if you were allowed, I would recommend to clear g2 first. Providing extract does not improve your chance of clearing driving test. G includes highway section and is comparatively more difficult than g2.

Shoebhussain.raj

May 26, 2019
I am stuck in a problem here, my G1 issue date is 4th Sep 2020 (My extract from India was accepted) and my G2 date is 21st Oct 2020. Now I am applying for car insurance and my agent says that the issue date on my Ontario Driving Record is 11 April 2016, which is my Issue date of India's license. Has anyone seen this happening?

Areebabdullah

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
I will describe my experience starting from getting my DL extract to transfer my international driving experience credits to my full G test in ON. Hopefully this will help others who are in similar boat.

Before arrival in Canada :

DL extract
I applied for DL extract online from Indian RTO that issued my license. Initially I had applied online but it looks like process would not have varied a lot if I had just showed up at RTO. Reached RTO office with photos, original license & printed application. After being redirected few times, reached an official who asked me to wait for an hour. This may have been a bribe ask but I pretended lack of urgency and just waited. After sometime, I got my DL extract printed, no questions asked.

Few things to review in extract :
a. official letterhead, real stamp, real signature : many DriveTest seem to be rejecting extracts if they are missing this info
b. DL particulars like name, date of issue/expiry should match license : duh
c. date when extract is issued : you need to appear for your first G1 knowledge test within 6 months of this date

Overall, the process was smoother than I expected it to be and given that this one page document allows one to apply for driving test without waiting/restrictions is a big deal. Hence I strongly recommend this for anyone hoping to drive in Canada regularly.

After arrival in Canada :

Prep for G1 test
I procrastinated first few months for my G1 test since I had others fishes to fry, but when I started I realised it was way simpler and I should have done it earlier to get my driving appointment faster (more on that later). Everything you will be asked in test is present in https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-mto-drivers-handbook. No exceptions. The complete handbook is probably 4-5 hours of reading. Many rules are specific and folks from other states/countries would not know them. And yes, some of the rules are just rote memorisation for ex. how much distance to keep from a stopped streetcar or how many demerit points for a certain violation. There are proboably two ways of going about this preparation.

For folks who want instant gratification, just skim through the handbook and give practice tests in 'G1 Genius' app until you feel like you can scrape through G1 test. There are no limits on how many times and how often you can give G1 test (although it costs each time).

But given you are going to wage your life on this, the right approach is to spend those 4-5 hours on handbook, remember to take down notes for things you feel you might forget before the test (ex. distances and violations). Then use 'G1 Genius' app to see what kind of areas you need to improve upon or why you missed that info in handbook. Unfortunately, some of the questions in G1 test (especially the non-signs section) tend to be confusing to throw off folks. So take care to read the question well. For ex. question may ask you about 'school bus zone' trying to confuse you into answering as if it is asked for a school bus that is stopped (former implies slow down, latter implies full stop until bus starts moving).

Give G1 test
When you feel you are done with your prep AND before 6 months elapse since your extract issue date, just turn up any nearby DriveTest centre. If you took down notes, now would be a good time to revisit those. Most DriveTest centres will usually be free on weekday mornings. Just turn up at opening time with all needed documents. I was second in line when I reached five minutes before opening time. By opening time, line had 8-10 folks. However once we entered exam centre, that line vanished because they had 20 odd multiple terminals to give exams at. After lining up at help center, you will then wait/go to a counter where clerk will note down your details, validate your extract/US license and process your photograph, address and payment details. If you need corrective lenses, you will be tested for that. US licenses are retained by DriveTest since you are effectively swapping it for a Canadian license (and not giving a driving test), other international licenses are not retained since you are transferring the driving experience credits (but still giving a driving test). Exam terminals open about half an hour after centre opening time so you have enough time to grab a coffee in between.

Exam terminal is essentially an ipad with test program running on it. You either enter your responses on touch screen or fill it on a paper. Few tips for exam :
  1. Take your time, there is no hurry/time limit. Some questions can be kept for later but you cannot go back to an answered question. So if you are unsure, just skip them for later.
  2. Test has 2 sections for general knowledge and road signs with 20 questions each, you need 16 correct in each section to pass.
  3. Read and understand your question well. As I said, make sure the question is not a trick/confusing question.
  4. For questions that your are unclear, try to think logically/correlate with associated info that you know. One may not need to memorize all the violations/demerit points to realise that there is a clear trend. For ex. not stopping for police, train, school bus are some of the most serious offenses wrt demerit points, next come not following road signs, next come right of way related. Similarly, things like DUI, drugs are a different level altogether and lead to automatic suspension with possible jail time and hefty penalty. More so in the case of G1 or G2 license.
  5. One key info that I was unaware of but helps a lot is knowing that after each response, device will indicate whether it was correct/not (& correct answer). Use that info to remind yourselves how much leeway you are left with.

Once done with the test, if your failed you can get back in line immediately. Or if you passed, you can leave the centre with your temporary license (printed on paper) and a beaming smile.

(had to truncate message due to limits, completing rest of the experience in replies below)
Hello, thanks for sharing your experience and tips with us.

I just got done with my G1 test today and can book G direct, thanks to the DL extract.

Do I need to book my test within the DL extract validity or I can book it anytime since it's in the system already?

Due to Covid-19 there are less slots available so just worried about this and don't want to start over.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hello, thanks for sharing your experience and tips with us.

I just got done with my G1 test today and can book G direct, thanks to the DL extract.

Do I need to book my test within the DL extract validity or I can book it anytime since it's in the system already?

Due to Covid-19 there are less slots available so just worried about this and don't want to start over.
You can book anytime since it's in the system.

Technically you have time till g1 license validity (5 years)

abdulazeem

Oct 6, 2018
What if I fail my G test and then also fail G2 test...Can u appear in G2 test again after 10 days or will I have to wait 12 months.
Does the 12 month waiver count in same way if u have waited 12 months after Written test or is it just a one time waiver...

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
What if I fail my G test and then also fail G2 test...Can u appear in G2 test again after 10 days or will I have to wait 12 months.
Does the 12 month waiver count in same way if u have waited 12 months after Written test or is it just a one time waiver...
Appear again after 10 days. Practically speaking it depends on when the next appointment is available, for ex. due to covid , you might wait several months for next try.

abdulazeem

Oct 6, 2018
Appear again after 10 days. Practically speaking it depends on when the next appointment is available, for ex. due to covid , you might wait several months for next try.
thanks for the quick reply.
So just to confirm , If u fail ur G and G2 in first tries, u can still retake G2 after 10 days (or when u get next appointment), if ur a new immigrant and have proved you already have driving experience in your home country. So you get unlimited G2 tries depending on when you can get the next appointment.
You won't have to wait 12 months as u normally do after ur written exam.
Please confirm

Michellexe

May 22, 2020
Hi thanks for your valuable inputs. I have my DL extract that was issued to me in Jan 2021 but I haven't travelled yet due to travel restrictions. Will my DL extract expire? Will I have to get a new one?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi thanks for your valuable inputs. I have my DL extract that was issued to me in Jan 2021 but I haven't travelled yet due to travel restrictions. Will my DL extract expire? Will I have to get a new one?
Yes, extracts are valid for 6 months from date of issue. Check local transport office if they are allowing longer validity due to covid.

Reactions: Michellexe

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
If they don't allow longer validity will reissuing of DL be done?
I presume you mean reissuing of dl extract, yes your home country should be able to reissue extracts, it is a simple pay-and-get-document with no limits.
Alternatively you can self certify 1 year of experience and get g2. Extracts are primarily needed to apply for g directly

TonyAx

Aug 11, 2020
I presume you mean reissuing of dl extract, yes your home country should be able to reissue extracts, it is a simple pay-and-get-document with no limits.
Alternatively you can self certify 1 year of experience and get g2. Extracts are primarily needed to apply for g directly
Could you please elaborate on this self certify process