+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DL extract to ON G license - complete experience

_wanderer

Star Member
Jan 16, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
Great post. Really appreciate the effort you put in.
I have few doubts, hope you can clarify the same
1) After passing G1 test (and getting temporary license), can one drive vehicle by himself or need a licensed person present with them? (You mentioned about driving to center and all)
2) If I get an international driving permit from India, can I drive immediately after I land, and take G1->G within a year?

Achintya1986

May 5, 2019
You provide your license which shows atleast a year of experience and that let's you apply for g2 directly
Hi,
A hearty thanks for such a detailed post!
I have an Indian DL (which was issued more than a years ago) & a DL Extract.
Can I skip G1 written tests & G1 Exit Road test and directly apply for G2?

The N

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
India
App. Filed.......
27-04-2017
AOR Received.
27-04-2017
Med's Done....
25-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-07-2017
Hi,
A hearty thanks for such a detailed post!
I have an Indian DL (which was issued more than a years ago) & a DL Extract.
Can I skip G1 written tests & G1 Exit Road test and directly apply for G2?
G1 written test is compulsory for Indian DL holders. At the time of registration and after passing the test, advise clerk that you have the DL extract and amount of time you had driving experience on full licence in India. This is will enable to you to appear directly for G (if applicable).
Refer to: https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence#section-2

The N

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
India
App. Filed.......
27-04-2017
AOR Received.
27-04-2017
Med's Done....
25-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-07-2017
Great post. Really appreciate the effort you put in.
I have few doubts, hope you can clarify the same
1) After passing G1 test (and getting temporary license), can one drive vehicle by himself or need a licensed person present with them? (You mentioned about driving to center and all)
2) If I get an international driving permit from India, can I drive immediately after I land, and take G1->G within a year?
1) After passing G1 test,
**you can drive with a fully licensed driver who has: (i) at least four years of driving experience; (ii) a blood alcohol level of less than .05 (if this person is 21 and under, their blood alcohol level should be zero);
**you can not drive between midnight and 5 a.m.
** you can not drive on 400-series highways or high-speed expressways (e.g., 401, Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), Gardiner Expressway)

2) As a new resident, when you move to Ontario, you can use a valid licence from another province, state or country for 60 days. After 60 days, you need to switch to an Ontario driver’s licence.

_wanderer

Star Member
Jan 16, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
2) As a new resident, when you move to Ontario, you can use a valid licence from another province, state or country for 60 days. After 60 days, you need to switch to an Ontario driver’s licence.
Thanks.
Any idea whether the same holds for Alberta?

Btw I was considering to get an International driving permit before I leave India. Do you know whether one can use it to drive in Canada?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Thanks.
Any idea whether the same holds for Alberta?

Btw I was considering to get an International driving permit before I leave India. Do you know whether one can use it to drive in Canada?
Check provincial regulations, for Ontario idp does not serve any purpose since you can drive on regular international license as long as it is in English/french.

It would be more important to get dl extract to apply directly for g2/g license.

Nitin Gaur

Oct 7, 2019
Hi, i recently got my G1 license, but they didn't accept my DL extract from India without any explanation. Just saying this doesn't look original. It was applied online and was downloaded from govt website. Anyways, i have read in other forums that they tend to reject DL extracts if it doesn't have original signature (Mine had digitally printed signature) and a letter head of govt.

My question is if i ask my family in india to get the DL Extract issued again on letter head and with original signature. Can i re submit my DL extract to reduce wait period from G1 to G2.

I have over 5 years of driving experience in india.

imansoor

Star Member
Sep 9, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Good information but what lacking problems people are facing even though they have valid DL extract and Ontario don't accept it.

shind

Nov 14, 2013
Subodhp,I applied for DL extract in While in India,waited for 1&half month but not get it caus of system problem,site was not working,then I ve to come here without it,now if I apply for G1 without it , get process completed &get my G1 licence, THEN can I present it later & get benefits as I m visiting India again in near future.please reply

adprak

May 27, 2022
Hey guys, heads up(got my G1 & waiting for Extract from India)
Firstly Thank you @subodhp for the guidance & starting this topic.

I recently visited Mississauga Test center though I live in Etobicoke(thanks to many of you who have posted about not accepting extract in Etobicoke) So straight away I went to Mississauga. I got in at 2.30p & test was taken at 3.10p, came out by 3.30p waited for my printed copy of G1 completion.

There was no one who could help/advise how to go about it, I saw a kiosk to get the coupon/ticket number & to be seated; while I was staring at the screen in front as the number will be called upon.

The person asked if I've any experience and produce the document if so, produced my Indian Driving License (20 years exp)& asked me if I can produce Extract letter I said yes & showed him the Reference slip of Extract, but advised me to get the original & he went ahead and booked my G1 & told me that - you will be directly giving G(Driving Test) once I get through with G1 (but just ONE attempt only- if you're failed, you'd be giving G2 & wait for 2years to get the G license). You can produce the extract anytime you want but G1 has a 2months period, which in I need to produce extract ASAP to get to G directly.

Highly recommend to newbies take Practice Tests on
1. 'G1 Genius'(mobile app) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dto.ee.g1.test.genius&hl=en_CA&gl=US Apple - https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/g1-driving-test-genie-ontario/id510568507
2. 'https://www.apnatoronto.com/' (both of them will help you gain lot of knowledge in clearing the tests)

First set of 20 Questions are 'Rules' (no pictures shown most twisting words) most crucial test takes a lot of concentration, if failed retake with a new ticket number + $16.
Second set of 20 Q's are 'Signs' (with pictures) which everyone will pass in one go
For both of these, you need to score 16/20

Total amount $159.64 for G1 test, License fee & Road Test (G2 not included because I can produce Extract in a couple of days' time) Credit/Debit/Cash Accepted.

Hope this helps others
Cheers
Ad

Aizazsiddiqui

Jun 21, 2022
Hey guys, heads up(got my G1 & waiting for Extract from India)
Firstly Thank you @subodhp for the guidance & starting this topic.

I recently visited Mississauga Test center though I live in Etobicoke(thanks to many of you who have posted about not accepting extract in Etobicoke) So straight away I went to Mississauga. I got in at 2.30p & test was taken at 3.10p, came out by 3.30p waited for my printed copy of G1 completion.

There was no one who could help/advise how to go about it, I saw a kiosk to get the coupon/ticket number & to be seated; while I was staring at the screen in front as the number will be called upon.

The person asked if I've any experience and produce the document if so, produced my Indian Driving License (20 years exp)& asked me if I can produce Extract letter I said yes & showed him the Reference slip of Extract, but advised me to get the original & he went ahead and booked my G1 & told me that - you will be directly giving G(Driving Test) once I get through with G1 (but just ONE attempt only- if you're failed, you'd be giving G2 & wait for 2years to get the G license). You can produce the extract anytime you want but G1 has a 2months period, which in I need to produce extract ASAP to get to G directly.

Highly recommend to newbies take Practice Tests on
1. 'G1 Genius'(mobile app) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dto.ee.g1.test.genius&hl=en_CA&gl=US Apple - https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/g1-driving-test-genie-ontario/id510568507
2. 'https://www.apnatoronto.com/' (both of them will help you gain lot of knowledge in clearing the tests)

First set of 20 Questions are 'Rules' (no pictures shown most twisting words) most crucial test takes a lot of concentration, if failed retake with a new ticket number + $16.
Second set of 20 Q's are 'Signs' (with pictures) which everyone will pass in one go
For both of these, you need to score 16/20

Total amount $159.64 for G1 test, License fee & Road Test (G2 not included because I can produce Extract in a couple of days' time) Credit/Debit/Cash Accepted.

Hope this helps others
Cheers
Ad
Hi Ad

Thank you for posting such a detailed post. I will be going through the same process next week so appreciate if you can help me out with below query;

1) Which center did u visit in Mississagua? I will be staying in Mississagua but heard most centers have a long wait time.
2) I will be using a DL extract from UAE to appear directly for G road test. Is it possible that once I clear my G1 exam, I can appear for G road test after 2-3 years? Would you have any information on that?

adprak

May 27, 2022
Hi Ad

Thank you for posting such a detailed post. I will be going through the same process next week so appreciate if you can help me out with below query;

1) Which center did u visit in Mississagua? I will be staying in Mississagua but heard most centers have a long wait time.
2) I will be using a DL extract from UAE to appear directly for G road test. Is it possible that once I clear my G1 exam, I can appear for G road test after 2-3 years? Would you have any information on that?
1. DriveTest 255 Longside Dr. It is important to keep a day for such important activities so that it won't bother your daily scheduled events.
2. Once you clear G1, you can immediately opt for the 'G Road test' and G1 is valid only for 2 months.

May 31, 2020
Hi everyone,
I have a situation here and need some guidance or a solution for it. I came to Canada as an international student with a DL extract and an International driving license. The only blunder I made was I soft laminated them. Now the DriveTest center here won't accept it and they gave me only 1 year of driving experience on the basis of my DL. The total driving experience I have is 7 years which can help me give my G test directly instead of G2.
Now the question is, how can get a duplicate DL extract being here in Canada?

Thanks much

TJVY

Star Member
Oct 29, 2019
Hi, thanks for the detailed explanation of your experience in Canada. However, I have a question regarding the extract obtained from Indian RTO. My cousin is migrating to Canada from India. His DL is close to 3 years old. Can he go for G2/G license as soon as he gets G1? Or the Indian license should be older than 5 years.

adprak

May 27, 2022
Hi, thanks for the detailed explanation of your experience in Canada. However, I have a question regarding the extract obtained from Indian RTO. My cousin is migrating to Canada from India. His DL is close to 3 years old. Can he go for G2/G license as soon as he gets G1? Or the Indian license should be older than 5 years.
If he can obtain an Extract letter, nothing like it. It purely depends on the officer at Service Ontario.

Reactions: ershivambhanot