+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DL extract to ON G license - complete experience

DRMDSMUHIT

Jan 30, 2018
After submitting DL + extract, one can go directly to G2 or G road test.
Now, if a person choose G road test and fails, so he needs to appear G2. After passing G2, does he need to wait another 12 months for G test or can book a G test within few days ??

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
After submitting DL + extract, one can go directly to G2 or G road test.
Now, if a person choose G road test and fails, so he needs to appear G2. After passing G2, does he need to wait another 12 months for G test or can book a G test within few days ??
Without wait

Maherushka

Jan 23, 2019
(had to truncate message due to limits, completing rest of the experience)

Give G test
  • Show up well in advance (atleast 30 mins) of your slot, back up into reserved parking (so that you can just drive out for the test), note the parking number. Head to drivetest and checkin using kiosk (mention parking number here). Head back to car and wait inside. Unfortunately examiners do run late (15 mins in my case) especially later in the day.
  • You can take friend's car/rental car/driving school car, no problems or no documentation required. Examiner did not even ask about it or for any insurance document.
  • Examiner asks you to give left/right indicator, hazard, horn, brake light. Check these in advance, any of them not working will render your test cancelled.
  • My examiner was very well spoken and clearly explained the process, you are not allowed to converse with examiner during the test (how am I doing ? did I fail the test because of that ?). You can only seek clarification if examiner's command is unclear (what did you say ? did you mean this turn ?).
  • Once the test started, it was pretty much as per expectation, we did reverse park, school, residential, highway, commercial zones in that order.
  • Throughout the test, examiner kept giving commands ('now we will switch to one lane on your left and then come back to same lane' or 'we will turn right at next traffic light', 'we will take so and so exit'). When examiner is not saying anything, you are supposed to continue following the lane/road.
  • In some cases, examiner helped as well for example in one case a vehicle was not yielding and I canceled my turn signal, he suggested that I should not cancel my intent.
  • Actual route followed was subset of what i had practiced (but for one lane that we took in the end) so that helped me with my confidence but I was still surprised to see how much pressure gets built up due to the realisation that your license depends on this run. At one place I just overshot stop line by half a turn, something that had never happened in my practice runs !
  • I was doing this in heavy but moving traffic and given I was at 'driving test speeds' in many cases I had trouble getting yield from other vehicles. This resulted in switching lane back and forth just in time for highway exit and almost running out of entry ramp during highway entry. Since I have encountered such cases in real life, I was able to handle these without stress but i can imagine a new driver getting overwhelmed by these. See if you can practice during traffic times as well.
  • Regarding speeds, examiner was not counting pennies i.e. going slightly over limit is not a big deal if it happens for a brief moment. I say this not to encourage folks to do so but just to alleviate any concerns that often instead lead to drivers driving well below limit and being flagged for that.
  • In the end, i had to go inside centre to show my G1 license and get a temporary G license (printed on paper). Actual license wad delivered via mail in few days.
In all it was a fun experience (in hindsight). It is definitely hard to imagine someone clearing this test without enough practice. If I have not said this already. please practice enough times and that would go a long way in helping you clear this exam. Best of luck !
Thanks man. Very helpful of you.

sameermaira

Star Member
Jun 20, 2017
LANDED..........
28-11-2018
This is very helpful. Thank you so much!

I got my extract from Delhi about a year back but didn't know about the 6 month timeline for G1. When I got it earlier, it had a sign and stamp on it - although it says at the bottom "Computer generated letter doesn't require signature". No QR code was present. But I was able to print it online again today on the Sarathi website. This version does not have the signature but has a QR code at the bottom. Will it work?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
This is very helpful. Thank you so much!

I got my extract from Delhi about a year back but didn't know about the 6 month timeline for G1. When I got it earlier, it had a sign and stamp on it - although it says at the bottom "Computer generated letter doesn't require signature". No QR code was present. But I was able to print it online again today on the Sarathi website. This version does not have the signature but has a QR code at the bottom. Will it work?
You will be trying your luck with that
They expect a human sign and stamp

Anserine

Feb 7, 2020
Hi @subodhp I was about to give my G1 written test tomorrow and just realized that my gender on the Indian DL extract is wrong. Any idea if it will go through at the drive test centre or I'll have to get a new one done? Should I just go there and see if they accept it or will I be in some sort of trouble? Appreciate your quick response. Thanks!

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi @subodhp I was about to give my G1 written test tomorrow and just realized that my gender on the Indian DL extract is wrong. Any idea if it will go through at the drive test centre or I'll have to get a new one done? Should I just go there and see if they accept it or will I be in some sort of trouble? Appreciate your quick response. Thanks!
Yes, worth a try to see if they would accept it

issprof

Sep 15, 2017
(had to truncate message due to limits, completing rest of the experience)

Give G test
  • Show up well in advance (atleast 30 mins) of your slot, back up into reserved parking (so that you can just drive out for the test), note the parking number. Head to drivetest and checkin using kiosk (mention parking number here). Head back to car and wait inside. Unfortunately examiners do run late (15 mins in my case) especially later in the day.
  • You can take friend's car/rental car/driving school car, no problems or no documentation required. Examiner did not even ask about it or for any insurance document.
  • Examiner asks you to give left/right indicator, hazard, horn, brake light. Check these in advance, any of them not working will render your test cancelled.
  • My examiner was very well spoken and clearly explained the process, you are not allowed to converse with examiner during the test (how am I doing ? did I fail the test because of that ?). You can only seek clarification if examiner's command is unclear (what did you say ? did you mean this turn ?).
  • Once the test started, it was pretty much as per expectation, we did reverse park, school, residential, highway, commercial zones in that order.
  • Throughout the test, examiner kept giving commands ('now we will switch to one lane on your left and then come back to same lane' or 'we will turn right at next traffic light', 'we will take so and so exit'). When examiner is not saying anything, you are supposed to continue following the lane/road.
  • In some cases, examiner helped as well for example in one case a vehicle was not yielding and I canceled my turn signal, he suggested that I should not cancel my intent.
  • Actual route followed was subset of what i had practiced (but for one lane that we took in the end) so that helped me with my confidence but I was still surprised to see how much pressure gets built up due to the realisation that your license depends on this run. At one place I just overshot stop line by half a turn, something that had never happened in my practice runs !
  • I was doing this in heavy but moving traffic and given I was at 'driving test speeds' in many cases I had trouble getting yield from other vehicles. This resulted in switching lane back and forth just in time for highway exit and almost running out of entry ramp during highway entry. Since I have encountered such cases in real life, I was able to handle these without stress but i can imagine a new driver getting overwhelmed by these. See if you can practice during traffic times as well.
  • Regarding speeds, examiner was not counting pennies i.e. going slightly over limit is not a big deal if it happens for a brief moment. I say this not to encourage folks to do so but just to alleviate any concerns that often instead lead to drivers driving well below limit and being flagged for that.
  • In the end, i had to go inside centre to show my G1 license and get a temporary G license (printed on paper). Actual license wad delivered via mail in few days.
In all it was a fun experience (in hindsight). It is definitely hard to imagine someone clearing this test without enough practice. If I have not said this already. please practice enough times and that would go a long way in helping you clear this exam. Best of luck !
Thank you so much for such detailed account. :) Really appreciate it your doing it for the benefit for all of us.

ragad3

Mar 19, 2020
Few things to review in extract :
a. official letterhead, real stamp, real signature : many DriveTest seem to be rejecting extracts if they are missing this info
Hi @subodhp I got my DL Extract but the RTO adamantly refused to stamp or sign it, saying that the authenticity can be verified by scanning the QR code. Here, DriveTest refuses to accept it without stamp and signature. Can you please share a copy of your DL extract with RTO stamp and signature (feel free to redact or black out your personal information) so that I can use it as a precedent to argue further with my RTO? It would be a great help for me! Thank you.

skp

Mar 7, 2010
Canada
Visa Office......
CHC London
AOR Received.
17-12-2008
File Transfer...
23-12-2008
Med's Request
14-10-2009
Med's Done....
17-11-2009
I will describe my experience starting from getting my DL extract to transfer my international driving experience credits to my full G test in ON. Hopefully this will help others who are in similar boat.

Before arrival in Canada :

DL extract
I applied for DL extract online from Indian RTO that issued my license. Initially I had applied online but it looks like process would not have varied a lot if I had just showed up at RTO. Reached RTO office with photos, original license & printed application. After being redirected few times, reached an official who asked me to wait for an hour. This may have been a bribe ask but I pretended lack of urgency and just waited. After sometime, I got my DL extract printed, no questions asked.

Few things to review in extract :
a. official letterhead, real stamp, real signature : many DriveTest seem to be rejecting extracts if they are missing this info
b. DL particulars like name, date of issue/expiry should match license : duh
c. date when extract is issued : you need to appear for your first G1 knowledge test within 6 months of this date

Overall, the process was smoother than I expected it to be and given that this one page document allows one to apply for driving test without waiting/restrictions is a big deal. Hence I strongly recommend this for anyone hoping to drive in Canada regularly.

After arrival in Canada :

Prep for G1 test
I procrastinated first few months for my G1 test since I had others fishes to fry, but when I started I realised it was way simpler and I should have done it earlier to get my driving appointment faster (more on that later). Everything you will be asked in test is present in https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-mto-drivers-handbook. No exceptions. The complete handbook is probably 4-5 hours of reading. Many rules are specific and folks from other states/countries would not know them. And yes, some of the rules are just rote memorisation for ex. how much distance to keep from a stopped streetcar or how many demerit points for a certain violation. There are proboably two ways of going about this preparation.

For folks who want instant gratification, just skim through the handbook and give practice tests in 'G1 Genius' app until you feel like you can scrape through G1 test. There are no limits on how many times and how often you can give G1 test (although it costs each time).

But given you are going to wage your life on this, the right approach is to spend those 4-5 hours on handbook, remember to take down notes for things you feel you might forget before the test (ex. distances and violations). Then use 'G1 Genius' app to see what kind of areas you need to improve upon or why you missed that info in handbook. Unfortunately, some of the questions in G1 test (especially the non-signs section) tend to be confusing to throw off folks. So take care to read the question well. For ex. question may ask you about 'school bus zone' trying to confuse you into answering as if it is asked for a school bus that is stopped (former implies slow down, latter implies full stop until bus starts moving).

Give G1 test
When you feel you are done with your prep AND before 6 months elapse since your extract issue date, just turn up any nearby DriveTest centre. If you took down notes, now would be a good time to revisit those. Most DriveTest centres will usually be free on weekday mornings. Just turn up at opening time with all needed documents. I was second in line when I reached five minutes before opening time. By opening time, line had 8-10 folks. However once we entered exam centre, that line vanished because they had 20 odd multiple terminals to give exams at. After lining up at help center, you will then wait/go to a counter where clerk will note down your details, validate your extract/US license and process your photograph, address and payment details. If you need corrective lenses, you will be tested for that. US licenses are retained by DriveTest since you are effectively swapping it for a Canadian license (and not giving a driving test), other international licenses are not retained since you are transferring the driving experience credits (but still giving a driving test). Exam terminals open about half an hour after centre opening time so you have enough time to grab a coffee in between.

Exam terminal is essentially an ipad with test program running on it. You either enter your responses on touch screen or fill it on a paper. Few tips for exam :
  1. Take your time, there is no hurry/time limit. Some questions can be kept for later but you cannot go back to an answered question. So if you are unsure, just skip them for later.
  2. Test has 2 sections for general knowledge and road signs with 20 questions each, you need 16 correct in each section to pass.
  3. Read and understand your question well. As I said, make sure the question is not a trick/confusing question.
  4. For questions that your are unclear, try to think logically/correlate with associated info that you know. One may not need to memorize all the violations/demerit points to realise that there is a clear trend. For ex. not stopping for police, train, school bus are some of the most serious offenses wrt demerit points, next come not following road signs, next come right of way related. Similarly, things like DUI, drugs are a different level altogether and lead to automatic suspension with possible jail time and hefty penalty. More so in the case of G1 or G2 license.
  5. One key info that I was unaware of but helps a lot is knowing that after each response, device will indicate whether it was correct/not (& correct answer). Use that info to remind yourselves how much leeway you are left with.

Once done with the test, if your failed you can get back in line immediately. Or if you passed, you can leave the centre with your temporary license (printed on paper) and a beaming smile.

(had to truncate message due to limits, completing rest of the experience in replies below)
Dear Subodh, I am very much overwhelmed by the efforts you have taken to describe every test along with examples etc. Really no words. While reading your text I was appreciating you through out. Marvellous. You must be a kind and very cultured person in life. I am driving for 40 years in my life in many countries. But the way the Canadians are having their system is very tough and neat, think so. I will be appearing for G test in next couple of weeks. But before that I want to thank you many times to you for your extremely valuable help and advise. Kind Regards. Shrikant Potnis

skp

Mar 7, 2010
Canada
Visa Office......
CHC London
AOR Received.
17-12-2008
File Transfer...
23-12-2008
Med's Request
14-10-2009
Med's Done....
17-11-2009
Hi @subodhp , I have question as I may go for a G1 in one location but for G test I may choose another location. So do I need to submit the extract of my license at the time of G1 test or do I need to show extract at the time of G test ? Kind regards and thanks in advance.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi @subodhp , I have question as I may go for a G1 in one location but for G test I may choose another location. So do I need to submit the extract of my license at the time of G1 test or do I need to show extract at the time of G test ? Kind regards and thanks in advance.
You provide extract where you give g1, after that the role of your extract is done. You can give g test anywhere and only thing you need is the letter from your g1 test.

Prashant0007

Mar 13, 2018
I already given my g1 test and I have 2 years exp on my indian license but i forgot to add my indian exp during test
Can i add my indian experience now ?

mish

Feb 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
19/08/2014
VISA ISSUED...
Mashallah
LANDED..........
Nov 2014
So question
If one fails in g2 and after this submits back home driving experience letter to take g directly..can he do this way..thanks