28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
maged_mmh said:
understood of course, but if previous income statements demonstrate a profitable net income, is it worth it compared to survival jobs?
I don't think it's comparable to a survival job. With a survival job, you don't have to spend $20K to $40K to get it and you can walk away at any time for a better job. If you sink $20K to $40K into a business, it will be much more difficult to leave - even if another better opportunity comes along. I would say that you should think very carefully before investing in a business. I would not rely on the previous income statements alone to make that decision (they don't always tell the whole story).

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Yes now it is very difficult to get a job in Canada. Bring min. $40,000/= so that you can survive here for one year with your family. Next year you can decide whether you can stay here or move out.

munjal

May 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
really a useful info being shared by everyone here..
thanks for sharing your valuable inputs
:)

Dec 8, 2015
New York
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Submitted Upfront
AOR Received.
21/01/2016
IELTS Request
Submitted Upfront
Med's Request
Submitted Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
Not Needed at this Time
Nobody goes to another country without a motive and when things don't work out they hate to return back to where they were. But for those with families, they have a responsibility and if things aren't just working out by a certain time frame then it is very discouraging which is what I mentioned above regarding my friend's experiences.

Thank you guys for your input but me and others would really appreciate any good points for newly arrived immigrants looking for jobs.
I think this is something that needs to be considered before people apply for visas to any country they want to move to. Research and plan first. It's why the Canadian Government makes sure you have a certain amount of money saved up in advance before moving because you might not find a job right away.

Are these points "good"? I don't think they're inherently bad. Just honest and realistic.

Would you please tell us what industries are concentrated in different parts/regions of Canada? Like, agriculture in prairie provinces.
Again, this research should be done in advance from applying/moving.

If you do not get a satisfactory job that you can be proud of and combine that with brutally cold weather, expensive food, housing, and everything else ... that's a tough one to live through ... sorry Canada.
Nobody's asking us to move there! We're doing it by choice. If we choose to leave after being unable to make it, that's our prerogative. Just like it's our prerogative to move there knowing the risks and the work that will need to be put in to settle there successfully. Nobody has a gun to our head trying to make us move there or get us to stay.

Good to know but its not right policy. Isn't it better to let people not suffer because they are unable to work in their developed careers then to be "seen as anti-immigrant". By adjusting the no. of immigrants coming into country due to changing factors like economic growth, etc, should/cannot make you "anti-immigrant" because it is Canada's right to accommodate newcomers as per ongoing conditions. Will you invite someone for dinner if you have less/no food in your stores.
Unfortunately, the minimum wage type service jobs need to be filled as well. It''s the same in America where I'm from/currently live. We keep accepting immigrants when a lot of our own don't have career type skilled jobs. But the fact of the matter is, we don't want to be seen as "anti-immigrant" plus we need to keep building our population. Immigration and population growth is good for the economy. Especially in a place like Canada that has an aging population - particularly in provinces like Newfoundland & Labrador for example. Yes, it will be tough to find a job. But we all knew (and should have researched) the risks before applying. Ultimately though with persistence, and hard work that includes networking and accepting jobs you don't want in the meantime, you'll eventually be able to climb into a position you're happy with.

I know none of these are the answers you want to hear. But It's important to be honest and realistic about the expectations before moving and applying. Basically, the important thing to remember is we're moving to Canada for various reasons - one of them is because we want to be Canadian and have all that it encompasses to be so. A good quality of life in an extraordinary country. The job will come if we're willing to put the work in. But we need to remember that nobody, nothing, and nowhere owes us anything. We have to be willing to work for it and earn it. :)

CADparity

Star Member
Sep 5, 2015
AmericanMovingToCanada said:
I think this is something that needs to be considered before people apply for visas to any country they want to move to. Research and plan first. It's why the Canadian Government makes sure you have a certain amount of money saved up in advance before moving because you might not find a job right away.

Are these points "good"? I don't think they're inherently bad. Just honest and realistic.

Again, this research should be done in advance from applying/moving.

Nobody's asking us to move there! We're doing it by choice. If we choose to leave after being unable to make it, that's our prerogative. Just like it's our prerogative to move there knowing the risks and the work that will need to be put in to settle there successfully. Nobody has a gun to our head trying to make us move there or get us to stay.

Unfortunately, the minimum wage type service jobs need to be filled as well. It''s the same in America where I'm from/currently live. We keep accepting immigrants when a lot of our own don't have career type skilled jobs. But the fact of the matter is, we don't want to be seen as "anti-immigrant" plus we need to keep building our population. Immigration and population growth is good for the economy. Especially in a place like Canada that has an aging population - particularly in provinces like Newfoundland & Labrador for example. Yes, it will be tough to find a job. But we all knew (and should have researched) the risks before applying. Ultimately though with persistence, and hard work that includes networking and accepting jobs you don't want in the meantime, you'll eventually be able to climb into a position you're happy with.

I know none of these are the answers you want to hear. But It's important to be honest and realistic about the expectations before moving and applying. Basically, the important thing to remember is we're moving to Canada for various reasons - one of them is because we want to be Canadian and have all that it encompasses to be so. A good quality of life in an extraordinary country. The job will come if we're willing to put the work in. But we need to remember that nobody, nothing, and nowhere owes us anything. We have to be willing to work for it and earn it. :)
If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to move to Canada from the US?

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
ttrajan said:
Yes now it is very difficult to get a job in Canada. Bring min. $40,000/= so that you can survive here for one year with your family. Next year you can decide whether you can stay here or move out.
repeated questions, but here it goes:

1- to help budgeting: are sites like kijiji give good indication of the rent price points?
2- What are the grocery food monthly cost? (assuming family of 3)
3- monthly cost of ownership of a car?

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
If things will ever work for me and have my pr i will still have a long way ahead since i dont have canadian license,i am a dentist btw

Dec 8, 2015
New York
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Submitted Upfront
AOR Received.
21/01/2016
IELTS Request
Submitted Upfront
Med's Request
Submitted Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
Not Needed at this Time
CADparity said:
If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to move to Canada from the US?
Multiple reasons. My Wife has family up there; also, I like the direction Canada is heading in as a country much more than the direction the U.S. is currently heading in. Plus, compared to New York, much cheaper cost of living, better work to life ratio, etc.

LokiJr01

Apr 13, 2016
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2016
Doc's Request.
09-08-2016
Nomination.....
26-08-2016
AOR Received.
15-09-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2016
Passport Req..
05-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2017
The advice given to me by a friend of mine living in Ontario is that when you land in a country such as Canada, you need to swallow your pride. Just because you are a bigshot in your country, that does not entitle you to a high paying job in Canada right away.

As many have already pointed out, you need to build your Canadian work experience first...and this will take time, and in most cases, this means taking odd jobs for a while. If people can't accept this harsh reality then they will have a difficult time adjusting. But for the majority who have endured the 'menial tasks' and persevered. It seems to be a worthwhile investment in the long run :)

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
maged_mmh said:
repeated questions, but here it goes:

1- to help budgeting: are sites like kijiji give good indication of the rent price points?
2- What are the grocery food monthly cost? (assuming family of 3)
3- monthly cost of ownership of a car?
Total monthly expenses around $3000/= incl. rent.

sachinsoman1988

Oct 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
IELTS Request
None
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
24-01-2016
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
26-09-2016
ttrajan said:
Total monthly expenses around $3000/= incl. rent.
Are you talking about expenses of living in downtown? or suburbs? or rural areas?

Thanks!!

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
I lived in Southgate, Edmonton, Alberta.

Jul 2, 2016
Thank you all for taking your time to contribute something.

I do not have expectations like big houses and six figure salaries right upon landing ... lol ... common!!!. The whole point of this discussion was to understand the difficulties in Canada as a newcomer and how to survive them in that environment. Yes, one has to struggle but for those with families there are limits that bring forth a time frame for survival or return back. Keep in mind, doing low-skilled work for any amount of time means you are going backwards in time (economically and skill wise) instead of progressing in life.

Who would be willing to leave their current positions in Canada if they were offered a good six figure salary and 40 hour/wk work in their beloved choice of profession in a warm part of this world? (assume everything else is just like you had hoped for)

LokiJr01

Apr 13, 2016
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2016
Doc's Request.
09-08-2016
Nomination.....
26-08-2016
AOR Received.
15-09-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2016
Passport Req..
05-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2017
Immigration is a critical decision so the fact that this option is being considered means the applicant is aspiring for something that is either non-existent or hard to find in their country of origin. Healthcare, career, better community, climate, geographic location, better lifestyle - these all play a huge role in one's decision to migrate.

As for performing low-skilled work...I would not call it a step backward. It's part of your personal investment in living in a new community. Everybody starts from scratch, and starting out with a menial job is a stepping stone towards greater progress in the long term. Heck, if you come from a 3rd world country and you move to a developed country like Canada, that in itself is a step forward if you ask me :D