+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Didn't meet income requirements in 2020. Am I disqualified for being a potential family sponsor for the next 3 years?

hybridin

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
So basically, 2020 wasn't good to me and I was pretty much out of job for 8 months. My 15000 Total income LINE is going to be less than $25,000. AFAIK you need to be making above their min required baseline for 3 years in a row...
Does it make me ineligible to apply for family sponsorship until at least 2023 (if I get my life back on track in 2021 and start making enough money for the next 3 years)?

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
So basically, 2020 wasn't good to me and I was pretty much out of job for 8 months. My 15000 Total income LINE is going to be less than $25,000. AFAIK you need to be making above their min required baseline for 3 years in a row...
Does it make me ineligible to apply for family sponsorship until at least 2023 (if I get my life back on track in 2021 and start making enough money for the next 3 years)?
In Quebec no. You only need the past year's income to qualify

For the rest of Canada yes. You need 3 years of income.

Maybe you can move to Quebec? I know one forum member here moved to Quebec specially for this purpose.

Reactions: YVR123 and hybridin

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is no guarantee that you will get selected if you move to Quebec so move to Quebec if you want to move to Quebec and have found a good job in Quebec. The PGP rules could change in Quebec this year or next year so moving to Quebec must be about more than PGP. Do you speak French? Depending on what type of industry you work in being bilingual may be a requirement. There is a lot more to consider when relocting. Yes if you don’t qualify in 2020 you will need to wait 3 years to qualify except Quebec based on the current rules.

Dod your sponsorship for PGP2019 get rejected?

Last edited:

Thabe

May 30, 2020
It's not really. Sponsoring 3 dependants and I had only 32 grand in 2019 including RRSP and more than 50 grand in 2018,17 and 16.
It took almost 9 months to get sponsor approval , late but they approved.
If you have recent steady job with enough pay , one year less income won't be a matter I think.
Its better to attach a reason and they know 20 is horrible for every one.

Reactions: cjr

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
It's not really. Sponsoring 3 dependants and I had only 32 grand in 2019 including RRSP and more than 50 grand in 2018,17 and 16.
It took almost 9 months to get sponsor approval , late but they approved.
If you have recent steady job with enough pay , one year less income won't be a matter I think.
OP’s case is for PGP sponsorship. Yours seem to be for 3 children/spouse? If so, sponsoring spouse/children does not require a minimum income but for OP’s case LICO must be met.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
This isn't true. You either qualify or you don't. They've already lowered LICO for 2020, and the rest of LICOs are low enough already also.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The level is incredibly low already and was adjusted to a laughable amount for 2020. Good or bad econony you will still need to be financially responsible for parents even if you lose your job so there won't be any exceptions.

Reactions: Qwertypod

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
@hodari Maybe you can give @hybridin advice?
Quebec's saving grace is this rule, where you only need to meet the income requirement in the past year to sponsor your parents.
I live in Montreal, and work as a software developer which is a job that does not require me to speak French. Another option you could consider is to work in Ottawa and live in Gatineau, which would mean you would be filing taxes in Quebec instead of Ontario and thus be eligible to apply to sponsor your parents next year.

Reactions: nayr69sg

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Quebec's saving grace is this rule, where you only need to meet the income requirement in the past year to sponsor your parents.
I live in Montreal, and work as a software developer which is a job that does not require me to speak French. Another option you could consider is to work in Ottawa and live in Gatineau, which would mean you would be filing taxes in Quebec instead of Ontario and thus be eligible to apply to sponsor your parents next year.
Quebec reviews the MIFI. Have people been approved while living in Quebec and working in Ottawa especially for.a very short period of time? Establishment in Quebec is always big for Quebec programs. As I said before PGP rules can change so be happy with your move to Quebec and if you manage to secure a spot for your parents then that is an added benefit. Would add that we are likely headed for a federal election so many things when it comes to government programs could change. When it comes to PGP nothing is guaranteed so shouldn’t be the driving force in your decision. If you can find a good job in Quebec then great but you could never get selected to sponsor your parents so moving to Quebec while not having good opportunities doesn’t make sense.

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
When it comes to PGP nothing is guaranteed so shouldn’t be the driving force in your decision. If you can find a good job in Quebec then great but you could never get selected to sponsor your parents so moving to Quebec while not having good opportunities doesn’t make sense.
Yup, makes no sense to move to Quebec without first securing a job here. With covid, all companies are interviewing virtually so that's an advantage.

Quebec reviews the MIFI. Have people been approved while living in Quebec and working in Ottawa especially for.a very short period of time?
I don't know anyone personally, but I assume it's fine. Imagine freelancing for intl clients/companies but filing your taxes in Quebec since you live there, there's no reason why that would make someone ineligible. However you do have a point, does the person need to be living in Quebec for a full 12 months? Perhaps it would be smart to consult with an immigration lawyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: nayr69sg