+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent child

May 7, 2015
Hello everyone!

My husband and I sent an application to sponsor my son back in the Philippines but unfortunately it was sent back to us as the CiC said that my husband (my son's stepdad) is not an eligible sponsor. I am not an eligible sponsor as well because I just got my PR last 2017, we didn't attached my son in my application that time as we are having issues with his biological dad before. Anyway, does anybody know if there is another way to sponsor him? Thanks in advance!!!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello everyone!

My husband and I sent an application to sponsor my son back in the Philippines but unfortunately it was sent back to us as the CiC said that my husband (my son's stepdad) is not an eligible sponsor. I am not an eligible sponsor as well because I just got my PR last 2017, we didn't attached my son in my application that time as we are having issues with his biological dad before. Anyway, does anybody know if there is another way to sponsor him? Thanks in advance!!!
Correct, only you (biological mother) can sponsor the son. Your husband can't.

When you got your own PR, did you at least include your son as a non-accompanying dependent in your application and have him do a medical exam? If so, then it will be no problem for YOU to sponsor him. Doesn't matter when you got PR status, you are eligible to sponsor your own child the same day you become a PR there is no need to wait. Will need the father's permission of course, or court documents showing you have full legal custody.

However if you excluded your son from your own app and he didn't do a medical exam, then he is permanently excluded now so you can never sponsor him, ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123 and scylla
May 7, 2015
@Rob_TO I am currently filling out new application and this time I am the sponsor. Yes he was a non-accompanying dependant and he did a medical exam before. Thank you so much for the info, really appreciate it.