+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent Child Sponsorship - 2024

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
There is an existing thread for sponsoring defendant children 2023 and I considered simply posting there, but decided against. Some of us will be starting in 2024 and there does not appear to be a 2024 thread started.

In my situation, my wife and I were married in 2022. It was a double wedding. My wife's sister was married at same time. I am from British Columbia and wife's sister is also now married to a man from BC. I did all the paperwork for both couples in terms of the spousal PR sponsorship filings, so I was the representative for sister and her husband. With some help from members here, with my enduring gratitude, both applications succeeded without any difficulties. The 4 of us, 2 couples, are now living in BC.

However, we are not out of the woods yet. The sister lived common law in the Philippines and had 3 children. They are in the age range of 8 - 12. They are still in the Phils. They were shown as non-accompanying defendants on the sister's PR application and went through medical examination in March 2023. Sister and her husband now want to bring the kids to Canada as permanent residents. Guess who has been elected to be the representative and do all the paperwork? So, I am embarking on a new field of endeavour. A new learning curve.

I have started filling out the forms. I read all of the pages of the dependent children 2023 sponsorship thread here on the forum and looked at some YouTube videos. When it comes to filling out the generic IMM0008 form, as near as I can tell, I must do one for each child, with each being a "principal applicant". Their mother is already here as a PR, so it would seem that she is not an "applicant". It just seems odd filling in some of the answers to questions for an 8-year-old, such as "marital status" etc.

So, anyway, am I right in thinking I complete one from 0008 for each child, thus each is a separate applicant and, in answer to the question "How many family members, including you, are included in this application?" the correct answer is one (1). The other 2 kids are not included. They will have their own applications. Am I right?

I am perhaps being unduly cautious here, same as I was when doing the spousal applications. If I make a mistake on mine (including my wife), well, I can accept the delay or whatever consequences attend. But, when acting as rep for someone else, even though not being paid, I really don't want to mess up.

Last edited:
Reactions: ERCAN

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So, anyway, am I right in thinking I complete one from 0008 for each child, thus each is a separate applicant and, in answer to the question "How many family members, including you, are included in this application?" the correct answer is one (1). The other 2 kids are not included. They will have their own applications. Am I right?

I am maybe being unduly cautious here, same as I was when doing the spousal applications. If I make a mistake on mine (including my wife), well, I can accept the delay or whatever consequences attend. But, when acting as rep for someone else, even though not being paid, I really don't want to mess up.
Yes, that is my understanding. I know it seems (overly) complicated but that's pretty much it. I would like to hear others confirm it.

Reactions: Kaibigan

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Yes, that is my understanding. I know it seems (overly) complicated but that's pretty much it. I would like to hear others confirm it.
Thanks armoured. Helpful, as always.

And I am not surprised that you do not know for sure. I spent quite a bit of time reading here on the forum and elsewhere before posting the question here. I found lots of information about applications for dependent kids when they are tied to the application of a parent. Not much describing the situation here, when the parent has recently come to Canada as a sponsored spouse and now it's time to make a separate application for kids. That seems to be more of an unusual situation than I guessed it would be and nothing in the IRCC guides, etc., addresses that situation.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks armoured. Helpful, as always.

And I am not surprised that you do not know for sure. I spent quite a bit of time reading here on the forum and elsewhere before posting the question here. I found lots of information about applications for dependent kids when they are tied to the application of a parent. Not much describing the situation here, when the parent has recently come to Canada as a sponsored spouse and now it's time to make a separate application for kids. That seems to be more of an unusual situation than I guessed it would be and nothing in the IRCC guides, etc., addresses that situation.
I'd suggest looking at the dependent child threads. It's a standard dependent child app, the fact they were examined recently will likely help them get processed more quickly, but otherwise it is technically de novo.

I do recall that each child requires a separate app, that seems to me the only question, and really only a matter of confirming there is no way to do multiple children or siblings in one app.

Put differently: the only question really is this, and it's not much of one.

So basically happy form filling time (although much info will be repeated).

Reactions: Kaibigan

immigrationfun

Star Member
May 17, 2016
I am in the process of sponsoring my kiddo standalone as well and looking into the online application. I am looking at IMM5669 and it is confusing that a form titled "Schedule A Background / Declaration" has no declaration at the end of it. I see 8 sections in this form 1. Personal Details 2. Questionnaire .... 8. Addresses.
Is the declaration at the end of the full application a catchall declaration for all the online forms? Is this what you guys see as well?

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
I am in the process of sponsoring my kiddo standalone as well and looking into the online application. I am looking at IMM5669 and it is confusing that a form titled "Schedule A Background / Declaration" has no declaration at the end of it. I see 8 sections in this form 1. Personal Details 2. Questionnaire .... 8. Addresses.
Is the declaration at the end of the full application a catchall declaration for all the online forms? Is this what you guys see as well?
Yes, I think you are right that there is a "catchall declaration" and that covers it.