+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Denied OHIP on Stage I With 'Request For Information (Police Check/Medical')

jerjer_22

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello again everyone,

Had an interesting and frustrating time at Service Ontario today.

Went in with my wife to have her apply for her OHIP card after recieving our Stage 1 approval - request for additional documents (inland app). After reading how various people had various degrees of ease with obtaining theirs, I was somewhat expecting this - but even after being escalated to a supervisor and head office, it was still denied. My question is this:

Yesterday, both my wife and I recieved emails with .pdf attachements - mine approving me to be a sponsor, ("You have met the requirements for eligibility as a sponsor"). It also states if i recieved this letter via email, another will not be mailed to me.

My wife's .pdf states "This letter refers to your application for residence under the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class. In order to continue processing your application, further information is required. You must complete/submit the following to this office: (Stat Declaration of commonlaw, Medical, Police certif.).

Service Ontario stated that my document was valid, but her's was not - they were looking for a letter stating (I believe this is AIC letter?):

"This letter acknowledges receipt of your application for permanent resident status in Canada. It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent resident
status as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. However, a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident
have been met. "

My question is this - will my wife be recieving that letter shortly in the mail? As far as I can tell, the emailed .pdf is almost the same thing as the AIC letter, but with different wording; however, they flat out refused us without it. If she is not recieving the AIC in the mail, why were we emailed something with different verbage? I'm confused and frustrated.

Thank you again all for your help.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The AIP letter will likely not be sent (via email) until CIC has received the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law document.

Part of AIP, is the assessment of the relationship. Since they are asking for this document, that means that they have not yet `signed off' on approving the relationship, which is the last part of determining her eligibility (AIP) to apply for PR (which she already has, obviously).

This will only appear in the AIP letter:
"This letter acknowledges receipt of your application for permanent resident status in Canada.
It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent resident status as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. However, a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met.

So, she'll probably have to wait for AIP for awhile longer. How much longer...who knows.

jerjer_22

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ponga said:
The AIP letter will likely not be sent (via email) until CIC has received the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law document.

Part of AIP, is the assessment of the relationship. Since they are asking for this document, that means that they have not yet `signed off' on approving the relationship, which is the last part of determining her eligibility (AIP) to apply for PR (which she already has, obviously).

This will only appear in the AIP letter:
"This letter acknowledges receipt of your application for permanent resident status in Canada.
It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent resident status as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. However, a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met.

So, she'll probably have to wait for AIP for awhile longer. How much longer...who knows.
Thank you for your reply.

Argh...so, we aren't actually approved in principal yet then?

I guess we mistakenly had our hopes up as the request included Police and Medical as well. Why would they not require the 'Stat Dec of Common-law' document up front with our application? As we are now properly married, knowing a stat dec form was required up front would have made this a lot faster I imagine..ugh.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jerjer_22 said:
Argh...so, we aren't actually approved in principal yet then?

I guess we mistakenly had our hopes up as the request included Police and Medical as well. Why would they not require the 'Stat Dec of Common-law' document up front with our application? As we are now properly married, knowing a stat dec form was required up front would have made this a lot faster I imagine..ugh.
If you are now married, then you are no longer common-law and therefore can't declare yourselves as such in the Stat Dec. Reply to the email with a scan of your marriage certificate attached and explain this. You could include a physical copy of the marriage certificate when you mail off the PCC(s) as well.

jerjer_22

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
If you are now married, then you are no longer common-law and therefore can't declare yourselves as such in the Stat Dec. Reply to the email with a scan of your marriage certificate attached and explain this. You could include a physical copy of the marriage certificate when you mail off the PCC(s) as well.
Okay, thank you. As the email says 'DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL", we will include the physcial copy with our other documents.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jerjer_22 said:
Okay, thank you. As the email says 'DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL", we will include the physcial copy with our other documents.
I believe they have a fax number as well.
(905) 803-7392

It's possible that the marriage certificate is all they [really] need to issue AIP, since medical and security/police/background checks are done AFTER AIP (Admissibility verification stage NOT eligibility determination stage).

But then again...CIC seems to do things `differently' these days.

Good luck!