+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Denied boarding

DevSB

Mar 27, 2021
Hello thanks for responding.
My visa expires on July 30th 2021 and my classes start on September 1st.

I deferred my summer 2021 term to fall 2021. I had already started school online in May 2020.
By enroll I meant I won’t be able to register for my September classes until mid august.
@Alomob , correct me if I’m mistaken but you said your visa is going to expire on July 30th, and your classes begin on September 1st..
how are you planning to study without a valid visa ? I suppose that could be a reason, knowing that the validity of your visa is going to expire soon

singh@1234

Star Member
Jun 12, 2021
@Alomob , correct me if I’m mistaken but you said your visa is going to expire on July 30th, and your classes begin on September 1st..
how are you planning to study without a valid visa ? I suppose that could be a reason, knowing that the validity of your visa is going to expire soon
Visa is for entry

Reactions: DevSB

Alomob

Jun 28, 2021
Let me explain a little more, sorry just to be sure there’s a difference between a study visa and study permit right? Because my study visa says I should enter Canada on or before the 30th of July. A study permit is what I think is collected at the border, am I right?

Reactions: DevSB

rogerdude1

Apr 24, 2021
Let me explain a little more, sorry just to be sure there’s a difference between a study visa and study permit right? Because my study visa says I should enter Canada on or before the 30th of July. A study permit is what I think is collected at the border, am I right?
Yes. Study visa (counterfoil affixed on your passport) is only for entry and it doesn't matter if it expires a week after you enter. You can stay even with an expired TRV if you have a valid study (or work) permit.

Things are hard for you as you haven't traveled before. If you had traveled before and had a study permit then they would allow you in even with an expired TRV (https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1308&top=15 ). For now as I said earlier, speak with your local embassy and explain them the situation.

Alomob

Jun 28, 2021
Yes. Study visa (counterfoil affixed on your passport) is only for entry and it doesn't matter if it expires a week after you enter. You can stay even with an expired TRV if you have a valid study (or work) permit.

Things are hard for you as you haven't traveled before. If you had traveled before and had a study permit then they would allow you in even with an expired TRV (https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1308&top=15 ). For now as I said earlier, speak with your local embassy and explain them the situation.
Which airline?
British Airways

Laguna55

Jul 19, 2020
I am surprised they have stated the 4 week rule, with the quarantine period it can be upto 6 weeks, infact cbsa only state "do not arrive too early" so a few days/weeks shouldn't make any difference

Jeff5gold

Jun 28, 2021
Hello guys, I was denied boarding my flight on June 27th on the premise of getting a secondary confirmation from a “discretionary group” from Canada, I was told without this confirmation I would not be allowed to enter the plane, the response from the group came 3 hours after my flight had left and I was told I could only travel 4 weeks before my classes start. Now the problem is that my student visa would have expired by then. Any advice please?

Background info:
-I already have a visa and acceptance letter from my school
-My school is a registered DLI
-My program starts September but I won’t be able to enroll until mid august.
- I was denied boarding in Abuja international airport in Nigeria
Please what do they mean by discretional group??

Reactions: Tete

romrumrira

Champion Member
Jan 9, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
in my countries, so far, most of the online students have been able to fly early successfully. I don't hear anything like this yet. I'm not sure if they have diff policies for each countries?