+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delay in Study permit processing

Bhumi in Canada

Star Member
Oct 25, 2023
Hi Bhumi,

Here's my timeline and a bit of a background. I'm applying for a study permit to a DLI in Brampton, Ontario for the Winter intake

September 4th - I submitted the complete requirements including upfront medicals (wife - OWP and 1 child)
October 2nd - Medicals got updated in tracker
Sometime October - Not sure exactly when Eligibility check started but upon checking around October, it was already marked as completed
Sometime October - At the same time, Background verification was already "In progress"
Dec 7th - all of our IRCC tracker accounts got a "ghost update", no information got updated nor did I receive any messages

Fast forward to present, Background verification is still "In progress".
No updates from IRCC whatsoever. I have already sent webforms including one from the "new" webform

Things aren't looking good as I may have to defer to the next intake if I don't get a refusal.
So your eligibility and background check got completed??

lumi801

Dec 22, 2023
Oh ok
From where did you apply??
From Philippines

I just got my GCMS notes!

Eligibility, Background check (criminality, info sharing), Biometrics and Medicals are all done (complete/passed)

So it seems (at least from this), that I'm all set, the only problem is that my wife's (OWP) medicals still is marked as "sent" even though we included an upfront medical info sheet.
We've already submitted multiple webforms (old and new) including the same file but have not received an update since the 16th of October.

The officer handling our application may not have rechecked our account after October 16th.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
From Philippines

Eligibility, Background check (criminality, info sharing), Biometrics and Medicals are all done (complete/passed)

So it seems (at least from this), that I'm all set, the only problem is that my wife's (OWP) medicals still is marked as "sent" even though we included an upfront medical info sheet.
We've already submitted multiple webforms (old and new) including the same file but have not received an update since the 16th of October.

The officer handling our application may not have rechecked our account after October 16th.
OWP is usually not processed at the same time. So may have different processing times for work and study permits.

Dorcasephraim

Nov 11, 2023
Yes its has started, it quote that
  • We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
That's for background check

This is the quote for the final decision
  • Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.
Me too eligibility has started but I haven't heard any responses , even sent them webform but still and my school start in January, from Ghana.

lumi801

Dec 22, 2023
OWP is usually not processed at the same time. So may have different processing times for work and study permits.
I was on the assumption that since we applied together/single application that we would be evaluated at the same time. Is that not the case?

Bhumi in Canada

Star Member
Oct 25, 2023
From Philippines

Oh ok
But if everything is passed then I wonder what's the issue.
What's taking so long.

Mustafa1234

Dec 26, 2023
Hello Community,

I want to the know the reason why there is delay in my study permit processing time.
I applied for Jan 6th 2024 admission , i have done my biometric since 29th of August 2023, but till now i haven't heard anything from IRCC concerning my application.
I'm a bit very worried and concerned here . I applied from Nigeria.
please help me guys. thanks
Any update on your application? Is it aproved?

rafiel2921

Nov 14, 2023
About 20 days
Hello @lumi801 , Im on the same boat. Any update on yours? I pplied on October 12, SP + OWP, our eligibility has been marked completed since October but background check is still in process. While others are getting their results within a month, my application has been going on for 12 weeks now. Their current processing time is only 9 weeks.

I’m also a citizen of the Philippines but currently holding a worker permit in UAE. Someone told me that this could be the reason for the delay, as IRCC would need to conduct security checks for both the home country and the current residence. This could take many months.

Did you apply as solo SP? Are you also an overseas worker?
Thank you

lumi801

Dec 22, 2023
Hello @lumi801 , Im on the same boat. Any update on yours? I pplied on October 12, SP + OWP, our eligibility has been marked completed since October but background check is still in process. While others are getting their results within a month, my application has been going on for 12 weeks now. Their current processing time is only 9 weeks.

I’m also a citizen of the Philippines but currently holding a worker permit in UAE. Someone told me that this could be the reason for the delay, as IRCC would need to conduct security checks for both the home country and the current residence. This could take many months.

Did you apply as solo SP? Are you also an overseas worker?
Thank you
Hey there. Still no update. Background check on our applications are also still in process but looking at the GCMS notes, they're completed. However, I'm just basing it on my research and by looking at examples. Also, if my research is correct, it seems the delay on our application is caused by my wife's medicals not being marked as complete even though we submitted an upfront medical sheet.

I applied together with my family, wife - OWP and a child.

No I'm not an OFW

Reactions: rafiel2921

rafiel2921

Nov 14, 2023
Hey there. Still no update. Background check on our applications are also still in process but looking at the GCMS notes, they're completed. However, I'm just basing it on my research and by looking at examples. Also, if my research is correct, it seems the delay on our application is caused by my wife's medicals not being marked as complete even though we submitted an upfront medical sheet.

I applied together with my family, wife - OWP and a child.

No I'm not an OFW
Hello again and thank for your response. I might consider requesting gcms notes as well. Both our medical exams are showing completed already on the tracker.