+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[DECEMBER] Online Citizenship Applicants

CCAI2021

Star Member
Mar 16, 2021
Hi @CCAI2021 do u know if we can travel outside Canada using the old/existing passport after taking the oath ? I mean before we receive the certificate and apply for passport.
I'm not sure because I don't have the need, so never looked into it.

I do know that you can apply and get a Canadian passport on urgent basis (2 business days) but you would need to prove your reason of urgency. I'd suggest to take this option. Also let them know about your case, maybe they can expedite your certificate too.

Otherwise I don't think leaving Canada would ever be a problem on your existing passport. It is re-entering which would require Canadian passport, which you can get in another country too if you have your citizenship certificate mailed and apply for Canadian passport at the nearest Canadian embassy/consulate. Again I'd not suggest this option, coz not only it has more potential for complications, we also still have pandemic issues which makes all such things quite hard to predict.

Last edited:

svk1520

Dec 25, 2017
I'm not sure because I don't have the need, so never looked into it.

I do know that you can apply and get a Canadian passport on urgent basis (2 business days) but you would need to prove your reason of urgency. I'd suggest to take this option. Also let them know about your case, maybe they can expedite your certificate too.

Otherwise I don't think leaving Canada would ever be a problem on your existing passport. It is re-entering which would require Canadian passport, which you can get in another country too if you have your citizenship certificate mailed and apply for Canadian passport at the nearest Canadian embassy/consulate. Again I'd not suggest this option, coz not only it has more potential for complications, we also still have pandemic issues which makes all such things quite hard to predict.
ok got it.. thank you.. so basically PR Card is considered expired once the Oath is completed - is that correct understanding?

thetechgirl

Aug 14, 2018
Hey guys! Just seen my background verification was completed on June 25th while everything else is in progress (except for test and ceremony). @LunaM did you see a change on trackers as well? any other mid-late Dec 2020 online applicants had any updates recently?

Nikola10

Feb 18, 2021
Hey guys! Just seen my background verification was completed on June 25th while everything else is in progress (except for test and ceremony). @LunaM did you see a change on trackers as well? any other mid-late Dec 2020 online applicants had any updates recently?
Hi, I am a mid-Dec online applicant, for me, the only test is completed, everything else is in progress, Did you get an interview call already , I heard some applicants had a ceremony without an interview

thetechgirl

Aug 14, 2018
Hi, I am a mid-Dec online applicant, for me, the only test is completed, everything else is in progress, Did you get an interview call already , I heard some applicants had a ceremony without an interview
Sorry I meant to say both test and ceremony have not yet started. I have only received the AOR back in March and 2 days ago, background verification changed to completed. No progress besides that.

LunaM

Dec 28, 2017
Same here: background verification changed to completed on June 25th, test and ceremony not started, everything else is in progress. My updated date has changed to June 28, 2021 as of today, but nothing updates since June 25th, don't know what it means.

Emenaik007

Star Member
Feb 8, 2019
Same here: background verification changed to completed on June 25th, test and ceremony not started, everything else is in progress. My updated date has changed to June 28, 2021 as of today, but nothing updates since June 25th, don't know what it means.
Same here. My background verification is completed as of June 29. Has any other December applicant received any other update?

maxkram

Apr 14, 2016
the same

CCAI2021

Star Member
Mar 16, 2021
Just received citizenship certificate today. Finally .
Oath done on 2nd June
Congrats! Got mine today :)
Bit annoyed that after $630 fee(which the govt long ago promised to abolish), multiple formalities and many months of wait, the piece of paper all this was done for was casually folded and stuffed into the tiny mailbox haha They should really mail it in 'do not fold' envelopes. Better yet, provide digital copy (hopefully soon someday)

Reactions: varlam