+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

December 2021 - Citizenship Applicants

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Hello everyone,

I used to be in this forum when I applied for the PR, and haven't been here since I landed. Here I came again after some concern regarding my citizenship application. I submitted my citizenship application in Dec 2021, but I have not got test invitation till now. As you know, the official processing times for citizenship applications is 25 months, but skimming through this thread, I saw many of you have already cleared the test, and few did the ceremonies as well. Should I be concerned? Should I call IRCC? Should I order GCMS notes? I don't even know at which office my application is being processed, because I didn't care.

Citizenship application
Type: Paper application
Physical Presence Days: 1,100+
Application: Family (with wife and kids).
Application Submit: December 20, 2021
AOR: February 24, 2022
Background Completed: March 9, 2022 (main applicant only, myself)

By the way, can someone send me the tracker link you guys have created?
Waterloo applications would ideally have been sent to Kitchener, which is one of the fastest office (if not the fastest).

Did you move at all after the initial application and filed a change of address? Or is there a chance there's a discrepency in physical presence days for any of the applicants ( even if it's one or two days)?

The dealy deosn't autoamtically mean there's an issue, sometimes applications are delayed for no reason at all and they suddenly resume the processing.

If I were you, I'd find out the office first. You can do that by calling IRCC. Then you can write to the office's email.

From what I see, GCMS notes are usually just a waste of time but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Besho85

Besho85

Star Member
Jun 22, 2017
Waterloo applications would ideally have been sent to Kitchener, which is one of the fastest office (if not the fastest).

Did you move at all after the initial application and filed a change of address? Or is there a chance there's a discrepency in physical presence days for any of the applicants ( even if it's one or two days)?

The dealy deosn't autoamtically mean there's an issue, sometimes applications are delayed for no reason at all and they suddenly resume the processing.

If I were you, I'd find out the office first. You can do that by calling IRCC. Then you can write to the office's email.

From what I see, GCMS notes are usually just a waste of time but I could be wrong.
Thank you very much for your reply. I did move to another address (to Kitchener) and submitted a request to update my address which was updated. I don't see this would be an issue.

I have submitted now a request for GCMS notes (since it is free, no harm). From my PR experience, GCMS notes sometimes did move the file.
I will try to call IRCC, but this is very painful - I work 9 to 5, and their wait time is insane.

Personally, I am not in rush to get the citizenship (not like the PR when I was outside Canada). But, if there is something wrong delaying my application, I need to correct it. Regarding the physical presence days, in my case it was pretty straightforward since we did not leave Canada since we landed here. I submitted my citizenship application with additional 6 days to the required days (i.e. 1,101 days).

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thank you very much for your reply. I did move to another address (to Kitchener) and submitted a request to update my address which was updated. I don't see this would be an issue.

I have submitted now a request for GCMS notes (since it is free, no harm). From my PR experience, GCMS notes sometimes did move the file.
I will try to call IRCC, but this is very painful - I work 9 to 5, and their wait time is insane.

Personally, I am not in rush to get the citizenship (not like the PR when I was outside Canada). But, if there is something wrong delaying my application, I need to correct it. Regarding the physical presence days, in my case it was pretty straightforward since we did not leave Canada since we landed here. I submitted my citizenship application with additional 6 days to the required days (i.e. 1,101 days).
Cases like yours who haven't travelled outside Canada after landing have seen really faster processing. Giving an early morning call to IRCC(8am - 8.30 am EST) would help to get info about your application.

For your earlier question 2021 tracker link - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iXCMs0mYtJZwYTTIH3LDmHK1tgK7yqAgQ5Jfyxv7BEI

Besho85

Star Member
Jun 22, 2017
Cases like yours who haven't travelled outside Canada after landing have seen really faster processing. Giving an early morning call to IRCC(8am - 8.30 am EST) would help to get info about your application.

For your earlier question 2021 tracker link - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iXCMs0mYtJZwYTTIH3LDmHK1tgK7yqAgQ5Jfyxv7BEI
Thank you for providing the tracker link, it is very helpful to get some insights on other applications.

According to the tracker, only 58% of December 2021 applicants got invited to the citizenship test. So, my case is not that odd, the process is just slow.

I will give them a call at 8:00-8:30 am EST if they receive calls at this time! I tried to google their number but couldn't find it. Can someone provide it here, please?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thank you for providing the tracker link, it is very helpful to get some insights on other applications.

According to the tracker, only 58% of December 2021 applicants got invited to the citizenship test. So, my case is not that odd, the process is just slow.

I will give them a call at 8:00-8:30 am EST if they receive calls at this time! I tried to google their number but couldn't find it. Can someone provide it here, please?
Number to call +1 (888) 242-2100
Most of the ones who haven't got invited to citizenship test are Online applicant. You being a paper applicant and still not receiving test invite is a bit odd.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018

It isn't always a waste of time.

My wife had submitted her fingerprints on Aug 8th and there was no movement for more than a month. Then they updated to "fingerprints received" when they were issuing GCMS notes for the file on Sept 12th (she had applied for GCMS notes in July but the file was issued on Sept 12th, found this out through the GCMS notes and saw the update on portal).

Reactions: Clemency30

iceman55

May 1, 2022
It isn't always a waste of time.

My wife had submitted her fingerprints on Aug 8th and there was no movement for more than a month. Then they updated to "fingerprints received" when they were issuing GCMS notes for the file on Sept 12th (she had applied for GCMS notes in July but the file was issued on Sept 12th, found this out through the GCMS notes and saw the update on portal).
I've seen that a few times as well but it's difficult to tell if the action was because of the GCMS or not or it's just a correlation.

Since the office here is Kitchener (which, along with Winnipeg is probably is best at responding to queries), the better way would be to write to them directly.

GCMS is just a one way communication, more procedural, and the turnaround time is a lot unlike email.

If it is other offices like Montreal, Ottawa or Edmonton (which, from my understanding are not very responsive to queries) may be GCMS is one way.

iceman55

May 1, 2022

These are the exact steps for calling:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/june-2021-citizenship-applicants.733273/post-10152217

You should get the phone rep within probably 10 or so attempts. Seems like if you're in Ontario you have a better luck in the morning.

File transfer takes like a month. Typically they don't transfer within GTA. It's usually never a problem but since this delay is not usual in your situation it's better to make sure you file is transferred properly (if it was transferred at all).

You might not be in a rush but it's better to make sure once in a while what's up with your file so later on it doesn't get stuck for two years or so.

meghalp

Star Member
Feb 14, 2022
Any one received an update after completed test from Niagara Falls office. Test email from. - ( IRCC.DNNGFCitizenshipe-Apps-DemandesenligneCitoyenneteNGFRN.IR@cic.gc.ca)

my timeline
Type: Online application
Physical Presence Days: 1,110days
Application: Single
Application submitted: December 27, 2021
Delivered: December 27, 2021
AOR: February 22,2022
Secondary office : Niagara office
test Invitation email from Niagara office
Waiting for DM

mcgz

Star Member
Jul 14, 2020
Hello, I just did my test on 16th Oct and passed (19/20). Can someone update the tracker? Thanks a lot!

Jatt_warrior

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
I had my citizenship interview yesterday. It lasted for only 2 minutes. The lady asked me to show my passport, PR card and Immigration landing document.
Before that she told me that there are no issues in my application, and they just wanted to see my original documents. It is like picking any application randomly to check the original documents. She was very polite and explained everything without raising the need for me to asking a question. She checked with me if I am available next month for Oath, to which I replied "No" as I have to travel to India in December. I proposed February next year for Oath ceremony and she noted it down.

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
I had my citizenship interview yesterday. It lasted for only 2 minutes. The lady asked me to show my passport, PR card and Immigration landing document.
Before that she told me that there are no issues in my application, and they just wanted to see my original documents. It is like picking any application randomly to check the original documents. She was very polite and explained everything without raising the need for me to asking a question. She checked with me if I am available next month for Oath, to which I replied "No" as I have to travel to India in December. I proposed February next year for Oath ceremony and she noted it down.
Which office you had interview in? Was it physical or Virtual ?