+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Can i know what went wrong at your trip?
I am not sure if you carried the documents but people move with furnitures and household goods across the canada-US border and not seeing much issues as long as we have correct documents and purpose.

1. They would accept it as people move all the time after logging the application. Just get the address proof to show that you moved which should be enough. Yes change it during the interview or even call them before to update it if they can.
2. I took uhaul to take my things. No issue at cbsa. when i was returning i was asked for passport and questioned whether i will still be working in US or moving permanently to Canada for which i answered that i would be commuting daily and will be working in US. I should have carried my other documents such as I797, payslips etc. Also the stapled extended I94 was not in passport and he was asking what was stapled and why it was not there. Later he asked me to show the license to verify that i was staying in detroit or not. So better carry full documents for canada and US when you are taking uhaul so that it wont be problem at both sides.

Thanks for the response. What license they asked to verify you were staying in Detroit? I think we need to have Ontario Driving license when we are living in Windsor.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thanks for the response. What license they asked to verify you were staying in Detroit? I think we need to have Ontario Driving license when we are living in Windsor.
I was taking uhaul from detroit to windsor and returning back to detroit. i was in the process of moving in few days to windsor hence i had michigan license at that time and which is what officer was expecting as i have not moved yet to windsor. yes we need to change to ontraio license in few weeks after moving to windsor.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
I was taking uhaul from detroit to windsor and returning back to detroit. i was in the process of moving in few days to windsor hence i had michigan license at that time and which is what officer was expecting as i have not moved yet to windsor. yes we need to change to ontraio license in few weeks after moving to windsor.
Sounds good. Speaking of changing license from MI to ON, can we export the car to Canada and take ON plate after we change our license to ON?
Or do we need to export the car first and then only change the license?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sounds good. Speaking of changing license from MI to ON, can we export the car to Canada and take ON plate after we change our license to ON?
Or do we need to export the car first and then only change the license?
driver license can be done anytime, not related to car. but car registration will be easier if you have local driver license as we need insurance for which license is needed.
driver license: not sure if you noticed, try to get the driver license history from lansing office before you head to change the license in ontraio.

saiajay001

Star Member
Sep 2, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Halifax
App. Filed.......
21-11-2019
AOR Received.
22-11-2019
driver license can be done anytime, not related to car. but car registration will be easier if you have local driver license as we need insurance for which license is needed.
driver license: not sure if you noticed, try to get the driver license history from lansing office before you head to change the license in ontraio.
@harirajmohan In general want to know which areas I need to be looking at when moving to Windsor and rents over there.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Understood. So, will there be any issue in driving MI plate car with ON license for few days until we move MI plate to ON?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Understood. So, will there be any issue in driving MI plate car with ON license for few days until we move MI plate to ON?
No issues as most have done these tasks in different days and commute daily. Border guys know that its not possible to get everything changed in one day.

@harirajmohan In general want to know which areas I need to be looking at when moving to Windsor and rents over there.
General note i follow is that i drive around the home i want to move in and see if the area around it looks ok/neat. Some of the downtown and riverside area is not good but core downtown is good. Rest of the area is fine. I was mainly looking based on the school zone i want hence did not know much about other areas.
school ranking: http://ontario.compareschoolrankings.org/elementary/SchoolsByRankLocationName.aspx
school admission boundary map: https://www.publicboard.ca/SchoolInfo/School-List/Pages/default.aspx (for some reason this site is not accessible outside canada)

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
No issues as most have done these tasks in different days and commute daily. Border guys know that its not possible to get everything changed in one day.

General note i follow is that i drive around the home i want to move in and see if the area around it looks ok/neat. Some of the downtown and riverside area is not good but core downtown is good. Rest of the area is fine. I was mainly looking based on the school zone i want hence did not know much about other areas.
school ranking: http://ontario.compareschoolrankings.org/elementary/SchoolsByRankLocationName.aspx
school admission boundary map: https://www.publicboard.ca/SchoolInfo/School-List/Pages/default.aspx (for some reason this site is not accessible outside canada)
Any idea about creating ITN on AES for exporting the car? I did lot of search on cbp/aes website but could not find link where to apply for ITN.
Is this something agent has to do for us or can we create ITN on our own?
I found this website; https://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/get-an-aes-itn/
where they charge us $35 and help us in getting ITN. Any idea if this is this reliable?

Please share link/source which can help in this regards.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Any idea about creating ITN on AES for exporting the car? I did lot of search on cbp/aes website but could not find link where to apply for ITN.
Is this something agent has to do for us or can we create ITN on our own?
I found this website; https://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/get-an-aes-itn/
where they charge us $35 and help us in getting ITN. Any idea if this is this reliable?

Please share link/source which can help in this regards.
Dont spend money for these. it was easy except the work of few days work on computer including waiting time. I forgot the steps, let me try to find. Meanwhile....
Seems new site nowadays which i got it from these threads. Try here https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/aes/index.html.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/steps-to-export-the-vehicle-from-usa-to-canada.528187/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/exporting-a-vehicle-from-the-u-s-and-importing-into-canada-complete-step-by-step-guide.539649/

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
This looks very informative. Thank you for this.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
So, looking at both of these threads, they used agents to get ITN number and paid around $100.
Now from the Census website, I found that-
1-Get EIN number (Employee Identification Number) from IRS website
2-Register for AESdirect using EIN
3-File vehicle info
4-Receive ITN

Is this correct sequence?
Can we get EIN while being on H1B visa? I am asking because census website says US residents and Citizens need to follow this process. So, little confused here. If not, then maybe for H1B holders, only option to get ITN is through agent, maybe?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
So, looking at both of these threads, they used agents to get ITN number and paid around $100.
Now from the Census website, I found that-
1-Get EIN number (Employee Identification Number) from IRS website
2-Register for AESdirect using EIN
3-File vehicle info
4-Receive ITN

1. Is this correct sequence?
2. Can we get EIN while being on H1B visa? I am asking because census website says US residents and Citizens need to follow this process. So, little confused here. If not, then maybe for H1B holders, only option to get ITN is through agent, maybe?
1. Yes, seems to be the sequence.
2. You should know that anyone can do business in US, doesnt matter on the status/residency. So dont get confused between getting EIN and your work visa status. The only restriction is that you should not be an employee while you work for someone else.
H1 holders do business even today and even file for H1s for their company.
All these steps are done by 100s of individuals. You are not the first to get.
There is no difference if you get ITN from agent as agent just acts on your behalf. Its like filing tax through a consultant but still you are responsible for the payments/inaccuracies.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
1. Yes, seems to be the sequence.
2. You should know that anyone can do business in US, doesnt matter on the status/residency. So dont get confused between getting EIN and your work visa status. The only restriction is that you should not be an employee while you work for someone else.
H1 holders do business even today and even file for H1s for their company.
All these steps are done by 100s of individuals. You are not the first to get.
There is no difference if you get ITN from agent as agent just acts on your behalf. Its like filing tax through a consultant but still you are responsible for the payments/inaccuracies.
I see now. So, we have to get EIN. That means We have to take the task of exporting a car as if we are conducting a business.

Jun 18, 2018
I want to start commuting from Windsor for work in Detroit. I am on H1 B and which is going to expire soon.
Lets assume I get my H1B renewed, can I commute daily on approved I-797 (using automatic re-validation) without having H1B visa stamped in my passport ? And for how long can I continue to do this ?

Visa appointments in Canada are almost always back logged for 3-4 months.

Dr kbknaidu

Jun 29, 2012
London,UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
App. Filed.......
29th june 2011
Doc's Request.
17th july 2011
AOR Received.
1st sep 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May 29 2011
Med's Request
Oct 26 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 15 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
In Process Since Jan 7th 2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
Hi I have question, one of my friend was saying since 2.5 years he never been pulled over to secondary inspection with NEXUS card for daily commute , is the believable, I have NEXUS card too but I been pulled over every 3-4 months suddenly for secondary inspection but he was saying he never been pulled over , is there any problem with my info may be ?? NEXUS commuters please help me , thank you