+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CSQ GIVES RIGHT TO DO WHAT?

lapula

Star Member
Apr 28, 2010
Hi ,all!
My husband moved to Montreal with a visitor visa .I already applied to sponsor him and recently we have received CSQ(Quebec Selection certificate ).
Checking the website i understood that he is eligible to work and study french ,correct me if i am wrong....
but when i called MICC the agent told me to obtain a work permit i have to contact Immigration Canada whereas on the website it is clearly said we have to make an appointment with an officer to obtain all the information....

So now i am confused ,is it possible that agent misunderstood me or i didn't get the info on the website right .......

Please help if anyone is or was in the similar situation .

Thank u in advance :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, a CSQ is a document showing that you have been selected to live in the Province of Quebec.
It is not a visa and cannot be used to gain entry into Canada.

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you submit the application through the outland or inland route?

Here is a link to a thread that talks a good bit about the CSQ and what it allows for those who applied inland and what it allows for those who applied outland:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/anyone-from-quebec-who-applied-inland-t44271.0.html

The thread addresses approval in principal (AIP) which is something that he can only get if he applied inland. My understanding is that when someone applies inland to live in Québec, it is the CSQ and the AIP that open doors for health insurance with the RAMQ, allows the applicant to apply for an open work permit (if the open work permit application was not already submitted with the permenant residence application), and allows someone to register for the MICC French classes (which are the ones through the Québec government).

If he applied outland, there is no AIP step. The CSQ could qualify him to take some French classes at a reduced rate (for me it was very inexpensive!) at a center that offers francisation classes. The CSQ does not qualify him to take French classes offered by the MICC. There are some good programs run by community centers or at universities, so it is worth looking into. If you google your town and "francisation," you should get some leads. If he applied outland, things like working and health insurance are delayed until he gets permanent residence.

PUZZLED

Mar 14, 2011
Hello,

Im new to this site and this forum is very helpful , I recently got my CSQ, FEB 17, 2011 and im living in MONTREAL CITY , I had applied my PR since MAY2010 inland processing spouse sponsorship . The question is... now that I have the CSQ can i apply for RAMQ and french courses right away? and also Do I need to apply for work permit ? Right now im so confused what to do ... Will the CIC issued me an AIP first before i move to another step? if yes when should i expect the AIP LETTER?
any advice will be much appreciated.... thank you very much

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Puzzled,

I don't know much about the inland process, but here is a thread of people who applied inland for Québec:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t44271.0.html

And here is the thread for inland applications 2010, if you haven't already been over there:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/inland-applications-2010-t48144.2175.html

I am sure people over there on those threads would be able to provide you with a better idea on the time line for the inland process and other questions regarding AIP (approval in principal), etc. If you didn't submit an application for a work permit with your PR application, my understanding is that you will have to wait to get AIP before you can apply for an open work permit.

Good luck!

PUZZLED

Mar 14, 2011
QCSunshine said:
Puzzled,

I don't know much about the inland process, but here is a thread of people who applied inland for Québec:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t44271.0.html

And here is the thread for inland applications 2010, if you haven't already been over there:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/inland-applications-2010-t48144.2175.html

I am sure people over there on those threads would be able to provide you with a better idea on the time line for the inland process and other questions regarding AIP (approval in principal), etc. If you didn't submit an application for a work permit with your PR application, my understanding is that you will have to wait to get AIP before you can apply for an open work permit.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot!

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
i think u can start the French courses already...the best ones r the ones given by the Ministry of Immigration itsself, they r called COFI but i forgot what the acronym means ::) if u r in Montreal, u can even go and talk to someone in person - Carrefour du Sud used to be close to Berri-UQAM metro; they have lots of useful info for newcomers so u'll know for sure what u can or cannot have

as for the rest, better call them to make sure

PS is this info is out dated sorry, maybe things changed since i have been to the same stages like u :) good luck