Cryptocurrency, interest, and capital gains

DamnYouDaria

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
Yukon
Category........
Other
Hello,

So, I have questions about the tax obligations relating to an account where I'm being paid daily compounding interest on cryptocurrency. It's a service where I'm holding cryptocurrency and being paid that daily compounding interest, sometimes paid out daily, sometimes paid out monthly, quarterly or yearly (depending on terms in the account in exchange for better interest rates).

Let's say I buy $100 of some cryptocurrency which bears 12% interest annually, but it pays out that interest in kind (in other words, in the cryptocurrency).

The first question is, is interest earned taxable income?

The second is whether it's taxable as to its worth on the day it's paid out?

The third is, is it treated as a capital gain in which no tax is due and owing until I trade the cryptocurrency and "realize" the capital gain?

Fourthly, if the interest is taxable as to its worth on the day it's paid out, is it treated as a capital gain if I sell it for a higher worth than when it was paid out?

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
Hello,

So, I have questions about the tax obligations relating to an account where I'm being paid daily compounding interest on cryptocurrency. It's a service where I'm holding cryptocurrency and being paid that daily compounding interest, sometimes paid out daily, sometimes paid out monthly, quarterly or yearly (depending on terms in the account in exchange for better interest rates).

Let's say I buy $100 of some cryptocurrency which bears 12% interest annually, but it pays out that interest in kind (in other words, in the cryptocurrency).

The first question is, is interest earned taxable income?

The second is whether it's taxable as to its worth on the day it's paid out?

The third is, is it treated as a capital gain in which no tax is due and owing until I trade the cryptocurrency and "realize" the capital gain?

Fourthly, if the interest is taxable as to its worth on the day it's paid out, is it treated as a capital gain if I sell it for a higher worth than when it was paid out?
Here is the CRA guide for cryptocurrency and how to report those gains.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/programs/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/compliance/digital-currency/cryptocurrency-guide.html

ExResident21

Jul 13, 2022
Depending on how much cryptocurrency you own, you may need to file a t1135 or face severe penalties if you don't. Cryptocurrency is considered a foreign investment, and if you have more than $100,000 of those, including stocks and property, you're over limit.

Also, when leaving Canada, you may need to pay departure tax for your crypto. In short, it's complicated.