+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CRS score change between ITA and application filing due to change of age

jmayankjain97

Oct 11, 2018
hi,

My age was 30 and CRS score was 445 when I received an ITA with ITA cutoff of 445.

Within 60 days period given for filing application my age will be 31 due to which my score will drop to 440.

Will this change impact my application?

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
hi,

My age was 30 and CRS score was 445 when I received an ITA with ITA cutoff of 445.

Within 60 days period given for filing application my age will be 31 due to which my score will drop to 440.

No. Age is locked at the time of ITA, even if you turn 31 before the 60 days expire.
No worries.

Santacan

Jul 8, 2018
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
hi,

No. No worries

tanush14

Jun 13, 2018
Yes, if a change in your age between ITA and AOR results into a drop in your CRS, it does impacts your application. Remember, your score is locked on AOR not on ITA so make sure you submit your application well before your DoB and receive AOR to avoid refusal.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
wait, age is locked in at the time of ITA or time of submission of application for EE (AOR)? My birthday is a week after 17th october (I expect to get an ITA in this coming draw). So by the time I submit all my documents I will lose points for age?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Yes, if a change in your age between ITA and AOR results into a drop in your CRS, it does impacts your application. Remember, your score is locked on AOR not on ITA so make sure you submit your application well before your DoB and receive AOR to avoid refusal.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html
*****FROM CIC WEBSITE*****
Exemption to section A11.2: candidates whose birthday occurs after they receive an ITA
An applicant may have a birthday after they receive an ITA but before they submit their e-APR. Their change in age may lower their CRS score below the lowest score in the round of invitations. It may also result in the applicant no longer meeting the minimum requirements of the FSWC and, consequently, no longer meeting the MEC, resulting in a refusal based on section A11.2.

When a change in age results in the candidate no longer meeting the MEC or having their recalculated CRS points score fall below the lowest points score in that round of invitations, officers should consider applying the public policy to exempt applicants for permanent residence from certain age-based requirements between invitation to apply and application, based on section A25.2. This consideration can result in an exemption from the refusal of an application under section A11.2.

This public policy also grants an exemption to applicants who may be refused for failing to meet FSWC program requirements when their birthday occurs between the ITA and e-APR.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
wait, age is locked in at the time of ITA or time of submission of application for EE (AOR)? My birthday is a week after 17th october (I expect to get an ITA in this coming draw). So by the time I submit all my documents I will lose points for age?
If your birthday is after ITA, you will have a points impact, but if you fall below the cut-off, consideration of exemption is given. The exemption consists in "locking" the age at the time of ITA. Don't worry about it. But if you're above cut-off even if score drops because of age, of course even less things to worry about.

tanush14

Jun 13, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html
Exemption to section A11.2: candidates whose birthday occurs after they receive an ITA
An applicant may have a birthday after they receive an ITA but before they submit their e-APR. Their change in age may lower their CRS score below the lowest score in the round of invitations. It may also result in the applicant no longer meeting the minimum requirements of the FSWC and, consequently, no longer meeting the MEC, resulting in a refusal based on section A11.2.

When a change in age results in the candidate no longer meeting the MEC or having their recalculated CRS points score fall below the lowest points score in that round of invitations, officers should consider applying the public policy to exempt applicants for permanent residence from certain age-based requirements between invitation to apply and application, based on section A25.2. This consideration can result in an exemption from the refusal of an application under section A11.2.

This public policy also grants an exemption to applicants who may be refused for failing to meet FSWC program requirements when their birthday occurs between the ITA and e-APR.
Your earlier comment suggest that age is locked at ITA which is incorrect.
Now you are sharing CIC link about public policy exemption which clearly says “officer may grant exemption”. So it’s not mandatory exemption.
I would still recommend OP to submit his application before his birthday to ensure his scores are valid on AOR.
Rest, it’s his call anyways.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
ugh, this is not good. I am above 450 now (i think i will get a 5 point drop that will bring me to 450). But still not fun. Especially the way the score jumped this time

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
just to be clear, so my score would be recalculated and compared to the score in the october 17th draw ? and not the latest draw?. Correct?

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Your earlier comment suggest that age is locked at ITA which is incorrect.
Now you are sharing CIC link about public policy exemption which clearly says “officer may grant exemption”. So it’s not mandatory exemption.
I would still recommend OP to submit his application before his birthday to ensure his scores are valid on AOR.
Rest, it’s his call anyways.
In his particular case where he will fall below the cut-off due to aging, the officer indeed "locks" his age at the time of ITA and not AOR like regular cases. It's to answer his explicit and specific concern ragarding the cut-off, which is not incorrect. It's in the particular context of "falling below cut-off" that I answered him. That's why I posted the link.

Concerning the choice of wording and language that you want to point out, yes, "Officer may grant exemption", just like he "May" grant you Permanent Residency if he/she is satisfied with all our document. Nothing is certain of course, let alone "mandatory", just like in 100% of all our PR applications here. But everyone can safely assume that if all documents are 100% correct, one can be confident in the PR approval, wouldn't you agree? The "May" is omnipresent during the whole PR process, not just for the exemption here...

Likewise, the official text is written suggesting that if the fall below cutoff is solely due to aging, there should be no issue, hence the link here.

Of course, submitting APR before birthday is the right thing to do. If he can, that should definitely be the way to go.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
what about this?

There is no chance i can submit document documents before my birthday.
Age points will be recalculated on your birthday.
If you don't fall below the cut-off, no issue here.
If you do fall below the cut-off, refer to exemption topic in posted link above, from CIC website, stating officers should refer to age at ITA, and not age at AOR.

Last edited: