+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing the border in rental car or truck

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
What visa status are you in? why do you refer on B1 when you are already on non-B1 status. You should be able to reenter US on the same visa status using automatic visa revalidation for which you dont need to have valid visa. And certainly your B visa is not substitute for your current visa status.

Yes you can travel via land on rental car/truck with your copr and passport to enter Canada when PR card is not available. Driver license is not travel document.
thanks for the answers. Reentering US is not an issue as I have B1/B2. My question specifically was if I will be allowed to enter Canada with COPR and Indian passport from USA with rented vehicle as I can enter the USA with my B1/B2 visa from India.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
thanks for the answers. Reentering US is not an issue as I have B1/B2. My question specifically was if I will be allowed to enter Canada with COPR and Indian passport from USA with rented vehicle as I can enter the USA with my B1/B2 visa from India.
As mentioned above this is not an issue to enter Canada although currently of course you will need 14 day quarantine plan and with a rental car this can require some planning to organise a drop off whilst meeting the quarantine guidelines.

Reactions: sumitkamboj88

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Canada side: Travel restriction still apply. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html
If you want to reenter quickly then you will have problem entering at the border asking why you want to travel without any necessity or might have to quarantine for 14 days.

US Side: If you are currently on B status then reentering on B will be questioned as B is not for frequent entry. If you are not on B status then B visa is not going to help reenter. If you share your specific situation then we can share our knowledge and experience on reentry.

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
Canada side: Travel restriction still apply. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html
If you want to reenter quickly then you will have problem entering at the border asking why you want to travel without any necessity or might have to quarantine for 14 days.

US Side: If you are currently on B status then reentering on B will be questioned as B is not for frequent entry. If you are not on B status then B visa is not going to help reenter. If you share your specific situation then we can share our knowledge and experience on reentry.
Thanks for the wonderful information. I will enter US only once and then Canada from US. My intent to settle in Canada permanently, I don't want to reenter US.

Reactions: harirajmohan

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020

Hi,

I received my COPR which is gonna expire in Feb next year so we are planning to travel to Canada next week on road from the USA and we are prepared for a complete 14-day quarantine. But want to know what are the chances for a soft landing in the current situations? Could you please provide your thoughts.

Thank you.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi,

I received my COPR which is gonna expire in Feb next year so we are planning to travel to Canada next week on road from the USA and we are prepared for a complete 14-day quarantine. But want to know what are the chances for a soft landing in the current situations? Could you please provide your thoughts.

Thank you.
People are landing.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/2020-nov-soft-landing-at-peace-bridge-w-o-quarantine.711119/#post-9012861
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-soft-landing-from-us-after-eo.693114/page-10#post-9027727

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
Thanks for the response, harirajmohan. peace bridge post is the new one and I have reached out to Swathy who posted the experience in the second link. The latest update of the 14-day quarantine came in on Nov 21st and heard border officers are following it strictly so was wondering if anyone has done after Nov 21s. That's the reason we are a little worried about telling the officer about a soft landing.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks for the response, harirajmohan. peace bridge post is the new one and I have reached out to Swathy who posted the experience in the second link. The latest update of the 14-day quarantine came in on Nov 21st and heard border officers are following it strictly so was wondering if anyone has done after Nov 21s. That's the reason we are a little worried about telling the officer about a soft landing.
You said that you are fine with 14 day quarantine. So not sure what you are asking.

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
You said that you are fine with 14-day quarantine. So not sure what you are asking.
Yes, that's correct that would be the worst-case scenario. However, I'm more inclined to do a soft-landing so want to know if anyone has completed successfully and returned back to the US. To be more specific, the experiences after Nov 21st. Sorry for the confusion.