+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2020 Nov soft landing at Peace Bridge w/o quarantine

Nov 21, 2020
My husband and I had a successful soft landing experience on Nov 18, right before our CoPR and PR visa expired.
We drove from Boston to Buffalo and arrived at the border in the evening. At entry point, we told the officer we wanted to confirm our CoPR and return to the US immediate. She sent us to the office building directly.

The office was almost empty when we got inside. We told the officer inside about our plan. He listened patiently and asked a couple questions:
- Where do you live currently? We told him Boston and we drove 7hrs to get here in order to complete the landing before everything expired.
- When do you plan to move permanently? We told him 2021 spring ideally when the vaccine is out. We also mentioned that we originally plan to land by air back in Mar but had to cancel everything because of the pandemic.
- Do you have your GTF list? We did not prepare this as we were not moving permanently on that day, but he said we had to do it at the 1st landing. We then told him we would skip the list and import nothing when we move in the future. He did not have a problem with that.
- Proof of funds? We gave him a copy of my most recent bank statement.
- Address in Canada? We told him we do not have a permanent address in Canada but do have friends live there. This super nice officer then said we can use that address for our PR cards. We were very surprised because from other soft landing stories we knew that Peace Bridge border rarely initiates PR cards for soft landings, and we did not even plan to ask about it. As I was searching for my friend's address on my phone, the officer took my phone and copied the address to his computer.

After the above questions, we both signed CoPR after the officer and he welcomed us to Canada. After that he stapled one copy of the signed CoPR to our passports. He then explained to us we can travel by land using the signed CoPR for now and after we get PR cards we can take off the stapled documents and start using cards for any types of travel. After that he showed us how to make the U turn back to US border and we drove away.

At the US border, both of us used AVR. The process was not very smooth for me since my previous professional background was a little bit sensitive but everything worked out at the end after answering tons of questions.

Overall this was a VERY luck day for us. We finally had the courage to do soft landing after reading other successful stories on this forum. Now it's our time to contribute. Feel free to ask me any questions~

Reactions: rag2020

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Congrats on your landing!, can you please let us know what challenges and questions you faced while using AVR?

rag2020

Jul 20, 2020
Congratulations on your soft landing.
We are travelling to Peace bridge today.

For CANADA Side:
Can you please let us know if its good to do landing at late night or in the morning and please do let us know what time you have done landing.
And about the proof of funds do we need carry hardcopies of the statements.
Any question about the COVID19 in specific we need to be prepared.

For US side - me and my wife both don't have visa but have Valid I94 on our H1b Document and my wife have recently changed from H4 to H1b, so I think should be fine in returning hopefully.

Any documents in specific needs to carried for safer side.
Please lets us know at your convenience.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Thank you.

Nov 21, 2020
Congrats on your landing!, can you please let us know what challenges and questions you faced while using AVR?
I got multiple clearance records for my previous F1 visas. They asked some routine questions to make sure my knowledge is not a threat...
And because of my citizenship, they also wanted to know if I was funded by the gov during my F1 period, which was 6 years ago...
My husband is a software engineer, they got no questions for him...

Reactions: canprofus
Nov 21, 2020

For CANADA Side:
Can you please let us know if its good to do landing at late night or in the morning and please do let us know what time you have done landing.

For US side - me and my wife both don't have visa but have Valid I94 on our H1b Document and my wife have recently changed from H4 to H1b, so I think should be fine in returning hopefully.

Thank you.
We arrived at Buffalo at ~7pm and drove directly to the entry point. I don't know if time matters. But during COVID, the port is not that busy.
We had hardcopies of bank statement. I think the officer took the most recent one away. It would be better to have them in hand.
No COVID questions asked.

AVR: passports, 797, EAD.

rag2020

Jul 20, 2020
We did landing yesterday 11/21/20 - Peace Bridge Canada - NY.

We family of 3 - my wife , son and myself did Landing at 1.30 am early morning of 11/22/20.

Detailed Story :

Canada Side:
Officer at entry booth: only one booth open and officer asked documents. We provided documents needed.
He asked when are you planning to move permanently - we replied summer 2021.
Officer asked about GTF and he said we need to provide today.
Officer asked are you going back to New Jersey tonight and we replied we are going stay in Hotel in Buffalo after completing US immigration.
Officer asked do you have reservation and we said we don't have but we called the hotel.
Officer gave yellow slip along with our passports and asked us park and enter the building behind.

We entered the building and only one officer was inside and asked us to be seated.
After sometime he called me and asked us to provide the documents all went well.

He just asked me to write the complete address to send our PR cards and I have provided one.

Finally I asked him how to make U turn to USA, he asked are you not going to stay 14 day quarantine in Canada and I said no and after waiting for 10 to 15 minutes he showed us the way to US.

US Side:
Only one booth was open and officer asked basic questions on purpose of visit and our Visa status.
Then asked us to follow the officer and park the car near the CBP building.

I am on H1b with Valid I94 - visa expired.
My spouse - Previously on H1b then H4 and recently changed to H1b - expired H4 visa.

The good part was the immigration officer came outside and asked who needs I94 and I relied both and he asked both?
That relived me as he is familiar with our situation.

They asked us wait in the immigration hall asked us our H1b document and passport.
They checked all the years of our employment and verified the H1b documents in corresponding to the time period,
The experienced officer was checking my wife immigration and he made it quick might be because of his experience.

The other officer was little different asked my previous H1b documents took his time and with help of other officer finished the immigration.

Finally we were cleared and out of the US CBP around 3 am in the morning.

I want to thank the forum and all the people who shared their experience in COPR landing.
The forum gave me courage to do COPR landing and also finish US immigration without out visa but by using I94- AVR .

Thanks you all.

Reactions: azizhamdy

clark kent

Aug 27, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
04-09-2014
Med's Request
09-03-2015
Med's Done....
11-03-2015
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
LANDED..........
04-07-2015

For CANADA Side:

Thank you.
Hey there,

Congrats on your landing.

I do have some questions and would appreciate your inputs.

I plan to do my H1B stamping in Montreal Canada next year in January and I also happen to be a PR holder.

My plan is to drive to Canada from Boston and quarantine for 14 days and then attend my interview and if everything goes well I would want to return back to Boston with the newly stamped visa and existing petition which i got as part of my extension in June.

Are there any issues for H1B folks to drive from Canada to USA?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hey there,

Congrats on your landing.

I do have some questions and would appreciate your inputs.

I plan to do my H1B stamping in Montreal Canada next year in January and I also happen to be a PR holder.

My plan is to drive to Canada from Boston and quarantine for 14 days and then attend my interview and if everything goes well I would want to return back to Boston with the newly stamped visa and existing petition which i got as part of my extension in June.

Are there any issues for H1B folks to drive from Canada to USA?
Were you able to book the slot in first place? If you haven't, you should do it right now. There are no appointments available till May 2021. And people are really not sure when are they going to open regular appointments.

There are no issues for H1bs travelling from Canada to USA, you will have regular questions, like purpose of your trip, where do you stay and other h1 related questions.

clark kent

Aug 27, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
04-09-2014
Med's Request
09-03-2015
Med's Done....
11-03-2015
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
LANDED..........
04-07-2015
Were you able to book the slot in first place? If you haven't, you should do it right now. There are no appointments available till May 2021. And people are really not sure when are they going to open regular appointments.

There are no issues for H1bs travelling from Canada to USA, you will have regular questions, like purpose of your trip, where do you stay and other h1 related questions.
Thanks for the input.

I do have a slot booked in Montreal for January.

Would there be any issues while driving back from Canada to US?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thanks for the input.

I do have a slot booked in Montreal for January.

Would there be any issues while driving back from Canada to US?
Thats great. When did you book your slot? You wouldnt have any issue driving back from Canada to US but you would be questioned at Canada side for your travel as your travel does not count under essential. You need to have a strong reason for your travel. Do you have your family here in Canada or if you are coming to settle permanently then there wouldnt be any problem or else i doubt they would allow you just for a Visa interview.

clark kent

Aug 27, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
04-09-2014
Med's Request
09-03-2015
Med's Done....
11-03-2015
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
LANDED..........
04-07-2015
Thats great. When did you book your slot? You wouldnt have any issue driving back from Canada to US but you would be questioned at Canada side for your travel as your travel does not count under essential. You need to have a strong reason for your travel. Do you have your family here in Canada or if you are coming to settle permanently then there wouldnt be any problem or else i doubt they would allow you just for a Visa interview.
I booked my slot sometime in October. Since I am a Canadian PR holder i doubt if Canada will have issues accepting me back but of course I can give them my reasons as returning back home.

My only confusion is after the quarantine period in Canada and supposing i get my visa stamped will i be able to drive back to the States or do i need to travel via flight?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
I booked my slot sometime in October. Since I am a Canadian PR holder i doubt if Canada will have issues accepting me back but of course I can give them my reasons as returning back home.

My only confusion is after the quarantine period in Canada and supposing i get my visa stamped will i be able to drive back to the States or do i need to travel via flight?
Not at all. You wouldn't have any problem returning back. You can drive back considering the crowd in flights due to covid.

Thanks

clark kent

Aug 27, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
04-09-2014
Med's Request
09-03-2015
Med's Done....
11-03-2015
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
LANDED..........
04-07-2015
Not at all. You wouldn't have any problem returning back. You can drive back considering the crowd in flights due to covid.

Thanks
Sounds assuring. Just confused since there is the current ban on H1b holders entering the country and also speculations that travel via road is not allowed for Canadians and what not.

Thanks @swan0206 for your inputs.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Sounds assuring. Just confused since there is the current ban on H1b holders entering the country and also speculations that travel via road is not allowed for Canadians and what not.

Thanks @swan0206 for your inputs.
No, you should be good. I travelled around October end, i did not had any problem.