AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
Not in the time I've been following this board, which has been close to a year now.

lokyy

Jun 10, 2014
Miami, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11-11-2014
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
next week
LANDED..........
next week :)
jamsham12 said:
I know U.S Citizens are passport exempt and PPR should not be requested, but has anyone heard a story of a U.S citizen being requested a PPR before the COPR is mailed out?
Im a US permanent Resident(green card holder) so, that makes me visa-exempt as a US citizen but they still asked for my original passport(i did wrot ethem a cover letter explaining them that a visa shouldnt be affixed on my passport since with my green card I can simply flagpole at the border) I will let you know if they stamped the passport or not.

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
lokyy said:
Im a US permanent Resident(green card holder) so, that makes me visa-exempt as a US citizen but they still asked for my original passport(i did wrot ethem a cover letter explaining them that a visa shouldnt be affixed on my passport since with my green card I can simply flagpole at the border) I will let you know if they stamped the passport or not.
Being a green card holder might make you visa exempt for travel purposes, but you are not a U.S. citizen, so I'm not surprised they asked for your passport. It's one thing to travel for a visit but a whole different thing to physically move to a country.

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
lokyy said:
Sorry, you are not a US citizen if you have a green card and you can not have a US passport with the green card.

lokyy

Jun 10, 2014
Miami, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11-11-2014
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
next week
LANDED..........
rugrat907 said:
Being a green card holder might make you visa exempt for travel purposes, but you are not a U.S. citizen, so I'm not surprised they asked for your passport. It's one thing to travel for a visit but a whole different thing to physically move to a country.
YOU CANT PHYSICALLY MOVE TO CANADA EVEN IF YOU ARE A US CITIZEN EITHER!

ottawa processes apps from people who live in the US(based on their place of residence not passport)

ive seen people on this forum(green card holders who were asked to only send a copy of their passport and not their original one)

Since we are talking about COPR and VISAS affixed on passports(we are talking about travel purposes) so,,,,,,,,, a visa exempt citizen(like I AM) does not USUALLY need to send their actual passport since THEY DONT NEED a visa to come to Canada,

anyways do what you please and have a lovely day.

jamsham12

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/19/2015
AOR Received.
03/16/2015
File Transfer...
04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015
lokyy said:

ottawa processes apps from people who live in the US(based on their place of residence not passport)

ive seen people on this forum(green card holders who were asked to only send a copy of their passport and not their original one)

Since we are talking about COPR and VISAS affixed on passports(we are talking about travel purposes) so,,,,,,,,, a visa exempt citizen(like I AM) does not USUALLY need to send their actual passport since THEY DONT NEED a visa to come to Canada,

But theres a big difference between a green card holder and a U.S Citizen, i don't think anyone implied being a U.S citizen would afford you the luxury of getting permanent residency. I do not recall a U.S citizen being requested the passport prior to the issuance of the permanent residency visa AKA COPR, as most green card holders hold passports from their birth country or nationality hence why CIC requests the physical passport.

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
lokyy said:

Dude...no reason to be yelling. You are the one that said you were a citizen, not me. I'm well aware of the fact that I can't just move to Canada as a US citizen - why else would I have all those little notes and dates under my profile if I thought otherwise. ;D

My point was that while you are indeed traveling to Canada and you do have a green card, you are not a U.S. citizen. Because this is for your COPR, they are doing the passport request based on your country of citizenship, which is Cuba and is not visa-exempt. I don't know what's customary for Cubans coming as permanent residents in terms of the passport requests (original vs. copy), and admittedly missed the part about original that you mentioned, so you may well have a point there. I'm betting though that for the other green card holders you mentioned who were asked for copies rather than originals, it was based on the country their passport was from and what is customary for that country, and not the fact that they were green card holders.

As someone else pointed out, your passport is still from the country you are a citizen of, and in the end that's what matters for your COPR.

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
Exactly jamsham, you always need a passport to travel, green card only serves basically as a PR card in Canada. They only require to send a passport if you are not from a visa exempt country, with US passport you can enter Canada without visa, hence they won't ask.

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
rugrat907 said:
Dude...no reason to be yelling. You are the one that said you were a citizen, not me. I'm well aware of the fact that I can't just move to Canada as a US citizen - why else would I have all those little notes and dates under my profile if I thought otherwise. ;D

My point was that while you are indeed traveling to Canada and you do have a green card, you are not a U.S. citizen. Because this is for your COPR, they are doing the passport request based on your country of citizenship, which is Cuba and is not visa-exempt. I don't know what's customary for Cubans coming as permanent residents in terms of the passport requests (original vs. copy), and admittedly missed the part about original that you mentioned, so you may well have a point there. I'm betting though that for the other green card holders you mentioned who were asked for copies rather than originals, it was based on the country their passport was from and what is customary for that country, and not the fact that they were green card holders.

As someone else pointed out, your passport is still from the country you are a citizen of, and in the end that's what matters for your COPR.
Technically you can "move" to Canada if you are US citizen, but I would not do that with a green card, too risky.
If you move, you won't be able to get a job, healthcare etc, but you can keep extending your stay here if you have the money and support. It all comes down to one word - money. :)

lokyy

Jun 10, 2014
Miami, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11-11-2014
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
next week
LANDED..........
o6ocpaka said:
Technically you can "move" to Canada if you are US citizen, but I would not do that with a green card, too risky.
If you move, you won't be able to get a job, healthcare etc, but you can keep extending your stay here if you have the money and support. It all comes down to one word - money. :)
completely false information,,,you cant just extend your visit visa here and simply live here by having money,,,

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
lokyy said:
completely false information,,,you cant just extend your visit visa here and simply live here by having money,,,
Just to remind you lokyy, you are in Family Class Sponsorship section of this forum, and yes you can extend your stay, we have personally done it. Personal financial support and the reason is the largest proof they are looking for, even if you are married.
Everything is done online and takes about 2 months to process.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp

You are welcome ;D

nicsmith147

Apr 9, 2014
hi all,

Has anyones medicals expired? what happens if a year goes by and the visa paperwork hasn't come through yet? I just got an email today asking for photos and passport copies but it also had this line:

Your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) Form(s) will be valid for your initial entry to Canada until 09/26/2015 (mm/dd/yy).

Sept 26th was a month and half ago! is my application no good now? Sept 26th 2014 was when my medicals were done and the letter said the application is only valid for a year from the date of your medicals. but is it my fault they have taken so long to process everything? Help!

Thirdjonesgirl

Mar 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2015 IP: 24-09-2015
Doc's Request.
22-09-2015
AOR Received.
04-06-2015 SA 17-06-2015 DM 2015-10-30
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
11-03-2015
Passport Req..
28-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-11-2015
LANDED..........
08-12-2015
Just wondering if anyone who's how long issuance of COPr usually takes? Ottawa requested my husbands passport on October 28th and we haven't heard anything back. Our status in ecas is in progress but I was hoping it would only be a couple of weeks after the passport was sent. Any ideas? Can I expect it this week or could it take longer??

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
lokyy said:
you cant extens forever buddy,,so, you cant technically move here .period..
i have 3 citizenships :p youre welcome
There is no limit on how many times and for how long you can extend your stay as long as you have proof of personal financial support and the reason for doing so, in this case again - family class sponsorship - people want to be with their loved ones while waiting for PR, for some it takes less than a year, for some it takes 2 or 3+ years.
Good for you regarding your multiple citizenship :), but I don't see how this relates to the topic. You are aware though that many countries do not allow dual citizenship? Not sure where you are coming from, but you may be liable for a crime and fraud right now, I sure hope CBSA will check you out thoroughly.

Good luck :D

MJEG

Sep 23, 2015
Got DM sometime in the last few days (was not there Tuesday)

Application Received: March 13
In Process: May 4
Generic Doc Request Email: September 22
Decision Made: Mid November (in last few days)

For a US citizen coming from the states does anybody know how long it takes from DM until we get an email about whats the next step?
How long after DM until COPR gets sent out for Americans?