+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COVID 19: Canada Travel Restrictions and Who Are Immediate Family Members ?

SANGLSO

Aug 28, 2019
Not sure where the MIL is flying from but a ticket doesn’t mean that the flight won’t still get cancelled so you also need to prepare for that possibility. Seems lots of people have had multiple flights cancelled since the situation is so fluid. There is so much discretion when it comes down to cases like your MIL. Her reason for travel wouldn’t be considered essential. If living with you you‘ll need to be prepared to quarantine yourselves for 14 days unless she can get home from the airport on her own and can be segregated into part of the house like a basement with her own bathroom. This may not be possible for all families. Does she have health coverage that will cover covid treatment? Depending on the province she may not get free treatment for covid so the potential expense will need to be considered. You’ll have to look up your province. Domestic travel may not be possible. Any older person should really be avoiding travel because the chances of exposure are much higher as people try to return to Canada.. If your MIL has any health issues that would be another risk factor. There are lots of unknowns and lots of things to consider. Currently only one family member is able to enter the hospital with a woman in labour until discharge. Hopefully women will continue to be able to keep one visitor but many hospitals are not allowing any visitors unless you are in the ICU, are a child (you can have 1 visitor with you at all times and only 2 nominated people who can rotate) and L&D who can have one person nominated as their visitor for delivery and postpartum.

Agree that the attempt to fly is a personal choice but if you decide to go ahead with it would suggest you remain guarded until she is actually on the plane.
Thank you for such a detailed reply and now actually I am considering postponing her visit until the dust gets settled for this virus. It seems that probability of things going not as planned is very high so its better to avoid travel. Thanks a lot again for your thoughtful words.

Kiranarora

Star Member
Feb 5, 2020
Hello all, i want to know if applications for spousal open work permit are under process during this COVID -19 SITUATION or not.
As i want to apply for my husband's file. I came in canada in January 2020. My one year course gonna finish aug 2020 .
Can i apply now for spouse visa or should i wait.Or when can i apply for. Please respond.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all, i want to know if applications for spousal open work permit are under process during this COVID -19 SITUATION or not.
As i want to apply for my husband's file. I came in canada in January 2020. My one year course gonna finish aug 2020 .
Can i apply now for spouse visa or should i wait.Or when can i apply for. Please respond.
Given the processing times and delays, your study permit would be so close to expiry, that a refusal is likely.

Akbar1234@

Jan 30, 2020
Is IRCC/ Cic processing TRV tourist applications during corona pandemic situation these days?? If yes, then they ll be processing from ottawa main office, because their subsidiary offices in india,UAE etc are closed these days.

akil_f1

Jun 15, 2013
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
2**3
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-13
AOR Received.
10-01-2014
Hi All,

My wife is pregnant and she is due in May and wants her mother to be with her here in Canada around that time but due to travel restrictions put in place I guess she can't travel, she has a valid TRV though.

I heard that there are some exceptions to this travel ban where immediate family members of a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident can still travel to Canada. Does anybody know if my wife being a Permanent Resident can bring her mother if she comes under immediate family member category maybe ?

I am in the same boat. My wife is due for June last week and hoping things will get settled down by that time so that my MIL can travel

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in the same boat. My wife is due for June last week and hoping things will get settled down by that time so that my MIL can travel
As I recommended to others have a plan B. This is really the most important if you have other children and need to find childcare. You and your wife should be expecting that only one visitor will be allowed at the hospital even after the baby is born. Your MIL is likely to still need to be quarantined arriving from another country if she is allowed to arrive. June May be the earliest things start opening up. Do you have access to a separate basement or apartment where she could stay for 14 days? Babies also come early. I was a 36.5 weeker myself. If your baby comes early and your mother is quarantining in your house and you have vents then is it really safe. Is it really safe for your pregnant wife unless a MIL quarantines in a separate apartment? All tough things to consider. Lots of Canadian couples only have the mother and father for the first days if not weeks with maybe some short visits during the day. Husbands can easily help, if you have any questions about changing diapers, bathing, holding a baby ask the nurse they will show you. There are lactation consultants available for help breastfeeding. Men can cook, clean, do laundry, change diapers and run errands to help their wives. Doesn’t have to be gourmet meals. You may want to start helping your wives doing these things, if you don’t already, to help your wives now that they are in their 3rd trimester.

akil_f1

Jun 15, 2013
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
2**3
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-13
AOR Received.
10-01-2014
As I recommended to others have a plan B. This is really the most important if you have other children and need to find childcare. You and your wife should be expecting that only one visitor will be allowed at the hospital even after the baby is born. Your MIL is likely to still need to be quarantined arriving from another country if she is allowed to arrive. June May be the earliest things start opening up. Do you have access to a separate basement or apartment where she could stay for 14 days? Babies also come early. I was a 36.5 weeker myself. If your baby comes early and your mother is quarantining in your house and you have vents then is it really safe. Is it really safe for your pregnant wife unless a MIL quarantines in a separate apartment? All tough things to consider. Lots of Canadian couples only have the mother and father for the first days if not weeks with maybe some short visits during the day. Husbands can easily help, if you have any questions about changing diapers, bathing, holding a baby ask the nurse they will show you. There are lactation consultants available for help breastfeeding. Men can cook, clean, do laundry, change diapers and run errands to help their wives. Doesn’t have to be gourmet meals. You may want to start helping your wives doing these things, if you don’t already, to help your wives now that they are in their 3rd trimester.

Thank you for your detailed reply.Yes i have started thinking of plan B . Searching for a Nanny . The biggest concern i have is with our 1 kid who is 3 yrs old .
So really worried about the delivery and this little guy during that time

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your detailed reply.Yes i have started thinking of plan B . Searching for a Nanny . The biggest concern i have is with our 1 kid who is 3 yrs old .
So really worried about the delivery and this little guy during that time
A nanny is really a longterm caregiver. If you are just looking for a few days probably only need to find a babysitter.

Dhivyabharathi

Star Member
Feb 19, 2018
Hi, I live in Canada on work permit. My husband is currently in India. My employer has to apply dependent visitor visa for my husband and my employer has kept all the visa processes on hold now. Does Canada approve visitor visas at this moment?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I live in Canada on work permit. My husband is currently in India. My employer has to apply dependent visitor visa for my husband and my employer has kept all the visa processes on hold now. Does Canada approve visitor visas at this moment?
Yes - Canada is still processing visas but at a slower rate.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your spouse should really be applying for SOWP if you are employed. If your husband plans on remaining in Canada he is not a temporary visitor. If your are temporary unemployed you should apply for OWP when you return to work. Assume you work in NOC 0, A or B.

kalyan1990

Jul 25, 2017
HI Guys,
My wife is supposed to visit me sometime in may/June on her visitor Visa. I have a PR and since she is my immediate family member, i'm wondering if she would be allowed to Canada with family reunifying as a reason.

If anybody know if reuniting with family counts as an essential reason, please throw some light.

Thanks in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
HI Guys,
My wife is supposed to visit me sometime in may/June on her visitor Visa. I have a PR and since she is my immediate family member, i'm wondering if she would be allowed to Canada with family reunifying as a reason.

If anybody know if reuniting with family counts as an essential reason, please throw some light.

Thanks in advance.
The real challenge is to persuade the airline that travel is essential and of course to show the immediate family relationship.Plus on arrival need to mandatory quarantine for 14 days.

What might have worked for one does not necessarily mean a different agent will accept someone elses reason for travel although believe they generally have access to Canada immigration if they need authorisation to allow boarding.

Reunifying might well be considered essential travel although maybe if only a short visit could debate maybe not.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#family_cit_pr

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
HI Guys,

Thanks in advance.
Does she already have TRV?