+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COVID 19: Canada Travel Restrictions and Who Are Immediate Family Members ?

anjana johny

Star Member
Mar 23, 2020
Hi
I have work visa. But I am currently in India. My husband is a permanent resident of Canada. So, can I travel to Canada? Is there travel ban for me? What kind of proof do I have to submit to the airlines to show that I am the spouse of PR of Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,
I am confused now. as per the below link and under question How does the government define “immediate family member” under these restrictions?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html

Does that mean now parents of a Canadian permanent resident are allowed to travel ?
Technically they can today. Whether that will change tomorrow is unknown. Anyone who doesn’t NEED to travel is not supposed to travel. Getting a flight may not be possible. Would expect restrictions to get tighter.

SANGLSO

Aug 28, 2019
Thanks canuck78 for your info. I am trying to get a ticket for May but seems its almost impossible to get one .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks canuck78 for your info. I am trying to get a ticket for May but seems its almost impossible to get one .
Yes travel has become very limited because countries are trying not to spread covid 19. It is also very risky to travel especially if you are a senior. It is not a very good idea to travel and any booked ticket has a good chance of being cancelled. Your in-laws will also be required to go into quarantine for 14 days if they enter Canada. Given that your wife is pregnant it would not be a good idea for your whole family to enter quarantine for 14 days. They would need to do their quarantine on their own. If either of you are working they also need to be able to be quarantined in their own for 14 days because if they have contact with you your whole family will have to be in quarantine. Your wife would not be able to go to any doctors appointments if her parents are with you and you are all in quarantine.

SANGLSO

Aug 28, 2019
Wow , I didn't even think about that piece of quarantine. Yes, if she somehow managed to get into Canada , this is what's gonna happen to all of us. so maybe bring her in is not even a good idea during this time .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wow , I didn't even think about that piece of quarantine. Yes, if she somehow managed to get into Canada , this is what's gonna happen to all of us. so maybe bring her in is not even a good idea during this time .
There are lots of things to consider. Unfortunately some may not have thought through the quarantine issue and I am sure there will be new arrivals that will come in and infect other people. People are so focused on arriving asap. Especially if your wife is pregnant and you or your wife are working it is important to consider. Currently many doctors offices are limiting who can go to appointments. I have heard some women signing in and then being told to wait in the car until they are called for their appointment. There are very limited number of visitors allowed in most hospitals. Women in labour are allowed one person with them during birth until discharge. No visitors. The only other patients that are allowed limited visitors are children, icu and end of life patients. That may change by August.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Just a heads up, a woman in our office gave birth yesterday. Her husband is likely to have Covid-19. He was not allowed in the hospital for the delivery and she was immediately separated from her child for a 14 day quarantine. Keep that in mind while making your decisions at this time.