+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COVID 19: Canada Travel Restrictions and Who Are Immediate Family Members ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What kind of proof should I show to the airlines to prove that I am the spouse of a pr?
Marriage certificate. If you are in India you can’t leave at the moment. You also have to make preparations to go into 14 days of forced quarantine. This may create issues if your spouse is working. You will have to remain separated for the quarantine period or he can’t go to work.

anjana johny

Star Member
Mar 23, 2020
Marriage certificate. If you are in India you can’t leave at the moment. You also have to make preparations to go into 14 days of forced quarantine. This may create issues if your spouse is working. You will have to remain separated for the quarantine period or he can’t go to work.
Thank you so much....

SANGLSO

Aug 28, 2019
I saw it now under - Interim Order to Prevent Certain Persons from Boarding Flights to Canada due to COVID-19, No. 2

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/interim-order-prevent-certain-persons-boarding-flights-canada-covid-19-no-2.html

The first interpretation of intermediate family was repealed based from
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/orders-directives-directions-letters-7497.html
Thanks
Hi Cedric11 ,

It seem now under interim order No. 3 , no one can even board a plane to Cansda, even Canadian Citizen/PR . is that right ?

Order No. 3 :
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/interim-order-prevent-certain-persons-boarding-flights-canada-covid-19-no-3.html

SANGLSO

Aug 28, 2019
*** Urgent ***

Hi All- I was able to get a ticket for my mother in law for April 9th. Can someone please let me know if she will be allowed to get into Canada?

She will be traveling on Visit Visa and she is visiting her daughter ( Immediate Family Member).

Please share you thoughts because i can't hold the ticket for longer time ....waiting

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
*** Urgent ***

Hi All- I was able to get a ticket for my mother in law for April 9th. Can someone please let me know if she will be allowed to get into Canada?

She will be traveling on Visit Visa and she is visiting her daughter ( Immediate Family Member).

Please share you thoughts because i can't hold the ticket for longer time ....waiting
Does she have a TRV?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
*** Urgent ***

If her daughter is a PR or citizen, your mother in law should be allowed to board the plane and travel to Canada.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
*** Urgent ***

Assuming can travel she will need to prove to the checkin agent that she is an immediate family member. Plus on arrival she will need to spend 14 days in quarantine isolated from other family members as far as possible. Note also travel insurance may not provide any cover for anything COVID related or even indirectly related.

Why the urgency for a visit whilst the COVID situation is active as things are only likely to get more restricted in Canada over next few months just seems an unecessary risk

SANGLSO

Aug 28, 2019

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Yes, she has valid TRV .

But my concern is interim order no. 3 below which repealed order no.2 and order no 2 allowed parents to get in .

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/interim-order-prevent-certain-persons-boarding-flights-canada-covid-19-no-3.html

Since updated information is all over the place and its hard to know what's current, if anyone can share a link where it says parents are still allowed to get in, that would be a great help
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#a3

Family members of Citizens or PRS only and subject to following basically must be an essential trip not just for fun, although who knows what the definition of essential is.Plus as above need to be prepared to prove to the checkin agent that are an immediate family memeber as defined

• immediate family members of Canadian citizens
    • Your immediate family members must show that they’re coming to Canada for essential reasons and not reasons that are optional or discretionary, such as tourism, recreation or entertainment.
  • immediate family members of Canadian permanent residents
    • Your immediate family members must show that they’re coming to Canada for essential reasons and not reasons that are optional or discretionary, such as tourism, recreation or entertainment.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

SANGLSO

Aug 28, 2019
Thanks all for replying. Appreciated !

My wife is pregnant and she wants her mother to be with her around delivery time and that is the reason for travel, now is it considered as essential ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks all for replying. Appreciated !

My wife is pregnant and she wants her mother to be with her around delivery time and that is the reason for travel, now is it considered as essential ?
That's really your call. She can certainly fly.

I personally wouldn't do it and would wait until everything is over. Having her travel now significantly increases the chances of her getting seriously ill and everyone in your family getting sick. But obviously a personal choice.

Note that onces she arrives, she will have to enter a 14 day quarantine (meaning come to your place and not leave at all for 2 weeks).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure where the MIL is flying from but a ticket doesn’t mean that the flight won’t still get cancelled so you also need to prepare for that possibility. Seems lots of people have had multiple flights cancelled since the situation is so fluid. There is so much discretion when it comes down to cases like your MIL. Her reason for travel wouldn’t be considered essential. If living with you you‘ll need to be prepared to quarantine yourselves for 14 days unless she can get home from the airport on her own and can be segregated into part of the house like a basement with her own bathroom. This may not be possible for all families. Does she have health coverage that will cover covid treatment? Depending on the province she may not get free treatment for covid so the potential expense will need to be considered. You’ll have to look up your province. Domestic travel may not be possible. Any older person should really be avoiding travel because the chances of exposure are much higher as people try to return to Canada.. If your MIL has any health issues that would be another risk factor. There are lots of unknowns and lots of things to consider. Currently only one family member is able to enter the hospital with a woman in labour until discharge. Hopefully women will continue to be able to keep one visitor but many hospitals are not allowing any visitors unless you are in the ICU, are a child (you can have 1 visitor with you at all times and only 2 nominated people who can rotate) and L&D who can have one person nominated as their visitor for delivery and postpartum.

Agree that the attempt to fly is a personal choice but if you decide to go ahead with it would suggest you remain guarded until she is actually on the plane.