+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Counterfoil updated as "document is invalid"

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
What, really? But the officer said if I complied with him, he would not make it difficult for me to re-enter. He told me it would maybe be fine if I tried late August. Should I talk to a lawyer about this? I will send a webform.

Also, could you clarify what you mean by affect my future visas? Could this affect other types of immigration streams like EE or spousal sponsorship? On my file, won't they be able to see the reason for my refusal is just because I came too early on my student visa?

Thank you for your reply btw, very helpful.
Send the webform and see if your TRV is still valid.

I understand, i'm just saying, don't treat getting refused entry lightly, it's not something you want on your record going forward. It happened once, now you need to be more careful in order to understand what the situation is.

Future visas means if you want to get future temporary status visas. I'm not saying it will affect it for sure, i'm just saying refusals are part of the calculation, and so you need to be more careful. Permanent status applications such as EE or spousal sponsorship won't be affected.

You don't need a lawyer, if your TRV is still valid or if you can renew it. You just need to be more certain when you travel so that you'll be allowed to enter.

All i'm saying is you need to be a bit more vigilant.

As for how soon you can enter Canada before your course starts, i don't think there is any limit on how soon you can enter normally, once your TRV is issued you can enter. You were probably refused entry because of covid19 restrictions, the officer wasn't convinced you met the exemptions. This is why you need to be careful and figure out if you're eligible to come to Canada, most students are doing the fall semester online. You have to convince the officer that you have to be in Canada right now to pursue your studies.

Also, did you get a letter from the officer for why you were refused entry?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020
Send the webform and see if your TRV is still valid.

I understand, i'm just saying, don't treat getting refused entry lightly, it's not something you want on your record going forward. It happened once, now you need to be more careful in order to understand what the situation is.

Future visas means if you want to get future temporary status visas. I'm not saying it will affect it for sure, i'm just saying refusals are part of the calculation, and so you need to be more careful. Permanent status applications such as EE or spousal sponsorship won't be affected.

You don't need a lawyer, if your TRV is still valid or if you can renew it. You just need to be more certain when you travel so that you'll be allowed to enter.

All i'm saying is you need to be a bit more vigilant.

As for how soon you can enter Canada before your course starts, i don't think there is any limit on how soon you can enter normally, once your TRV is issued you can enter. You were probably refused entry because of covid19 restrictions, the officer wasn't convinced you met the exemptions. This is why you need to be careful and figure out if you're eligible to come to Canada, most students are doing the fall semester online. You have to convince the officer that you have to be in Canada right now to pursue your studies.

Also, did you get a letter from the officer for why you were refused entry?
I did not get any email or correspondence from IRCC which is why I am so concerned. How could they cancel my counterfoil and not tell me why?

The last message I received was the acceptance letter that I am supposed to show at the border.

I have sent the webform but my embassy may take up to a month to respond to me so now my plans are all washed.

I have read all the threads everyone has posted but none of them have a resolution. So I think I will contact a lawyer because there appears to be no solutions to this predicament online.

Thank you for the help everyone.

Aug 22, 2020
Your study permit won't even be issued yet. The counterfoil is a physical document, I am assuming you are a visa national, can you confirm this? Do you therefore have a temporary resident visa TRV in your passport? That is probably the counterfoil referred to. Ask IRCC if you need a new one.

Understand if you are a visa national, you will have an approval of study permit (the permit is not given till you arrive at the point of entry in Canada), plus you will have a TRV temporary resident visa. There is no such thing as a student visa for Canada. Be aware these are 2 documents. Be aware which one is marked as invalid.

CBSA has a telephone service unlike IRCC. Phone CBSA, give them all the facts.
Yes I am a visa national, the counterfoil is the TRV from my understanding. I didn't think to call CBSA so I will try that as well. Thank you

Simran Singh Sachdeva

Aug 3, 2020
So I was approved for a study permit before March 18 2020 for May 2020 intake.

Due to Covid I decided to defer to September. I tried entering Canada in early June but was unfortunately turned back in Toronto (was allowed on the plane but turned away in Canada). The officer said I was coming too early and said to try two weeks before school starts (but didn't guarantee anything).

So. I'm going to try again next week but when I looked at my IRCC account it says my counterfoil document (the stamp in my passport) was updated as invalid on July 5th 2020. I don't know why this happened? Is it related to being denied at the Canadian border?

I just don't understand why? What can I do now? I can't fly if it's invalid right? For reference the counterfoil expires July 31 2021 and it is multiple entry.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
Hi! I'm in the same situation. Could you please help?
Is this resolved?
What's the current status?
Please help

AliAhmad1090

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
So I was approved for a study permit before March 18 2020 for May 2020 intake.

Due to Covid I decided to defer to September. I tried entering Canada in early June but was unfortunately turned back in Toronto (was allowed on the plane but turned away in Canada). The officer said I was coming too early and said to try two weeks before school starts (but didn't guarantee anything).

So. I'm going to try again next week but when I looked at my IRCC account it says my counterfoil document (the stamp in my passport) was updated as invalid on July 5th 2020. I don't know why this happened? Is it related to being denied at the Canadian border?

I just don't understand why? What can I do now? I can't fly if it's invalid right? For reference the counterfoil expires July 31 2021 and it is multiple entry.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
Please let us know your issue was solved or not? What happened. How you managed to get things done?

Reactions: chingkaykik

parth3p

Oct 19, 2020
Please give us an update. I am facing the same problem. It saws your counterfoil application is not valid.

Aug 22, 2020
Hi everyone, want to update you all.

I just received a request to resubmit my passport and get a new TRV. I hope the rest of you get some good news too!

Edit: my DLI is on the approved list. Once the list came out I submitted a webform request to reinstate my TRV. Not sure if that helped or not, but here we are. Best of luck to everyone.

P@1n

Mar 9, 2017
Winnipeg
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Bangalore
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
Passport Req..
07-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2017
LANDED..........
15-08-2017
As per yesterday’s webinar if you have already have a student permit approval and a visa counterfoil but if your college is not on the official approved DLI list it might most probably become invalid. But no need to worry as the list is being updated every 2 weeks, more and more DLI will be added accordingly and you can apply for the new TRV when your college comes up in the approved DLI list. It won’t affect your student permit approval. Just like the OP got the new OPR for the new TRV.

Reactions: Onmyway143

meister

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019

I just received a request to resubmit my passport and get a new TRV. I hope the rest of you get some good news too!

Edit: my DLI is on the approved list. Once the list came out I submitted a webform request to reinstate my TRV. Not sure if that helped or not, but here we are. Best of luck to everyone.
Where did you receive the request? In your online account?

Areebabdullah

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020

Hello,

Congratulations, must be a relief.

I was approved for study permit and my passport was returned to me with a counterfoil valid until 2022/03/30. However, the application status on my Gckey account now indicates that my application was approved but the status shows "Your document is invalid."

I would like to know if my document is still valid for travel to Canada.

Please note my DLI (Centennial College O19394700003) has been approved for its readiness plan to host international students as per the list updated by IRCC.

I hold a valid tourist visa as well.

Regards,
Areeb Abdullah