+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Counterfoil updated as "document is invalid"

Aug 22, 2020
So I was approved for a study permit before March 18 2020 for May 2020 intake.

Due to Covid I decided to defer to September. I tried entering Canada in early June but was unfortunately turned back in Toronto (was allowed on the plane but turned away in Canada). The officer said I was coming too early and said to try two weeks before school starts (but didn't guarantee anything).

So. I'm going to try again next week but when I looked at my IRCC account it says my counterfoil document (the stamp in my passport) was updated as invalid on July 5th 2020. I don't know why this happened? Is it related to being denied at the Canadian border?

I just don't understand why? What can I do now? I can't fly if it's invalid right? For reference the counterfoil expires July 31 2021 and it is multiple entry.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

Due to Covid I decided to defer to September. I tried entering Canada in early June but was unfortunately turned back in Toronto (was allowed on the plane but turned away in Canada). The officer said I was coming too early and said to try two weeks before school starts (but didn't guarantee anything).

So. I'm going to try again next week but when I looked at my IRCC account it says my counterfoil document (the stamp in my passport) was updated as invalid on July 5th 2020. I don't know why this happened? Is it related to being denied at the Canadian border?

I just don't understand why? What can I do now? I can't fly if it's invalid right? For reference the counterfoil expires July 31 2021 and it is multiple entry.

so it says your visa is invalid until that date?

Aug 22, 2020
so it says your visa is invalid until that date?
No, it was valid when I got it in March and I think it was supposed to be valid for my whole study period of one year. But It updated in July saying it was invalid and I didn't get an email or message from IRCC about why that happened.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
You need to be more careful here.

Don't just take another flight to Canada unless you get some kind of assurance that you're going to be allowed in by immigration.

They may have cancelled your TRV and may need another one now, so you might have to re-apply.

But you need to be more careful, getting refused entry is serious and may impact your ability to enter Canada in the future, and impact your ability to get visas in the future. It's also not normal for a border officer to refuse you entry within this time frame, it's not really reasonable for them to expect you to come only 2 weeks before your course starts. They must have deemed your travel discretionary.

Ask by webform whether you need another TRV now, after explaining your situation.

You need to take a flight only once you receive an assurance you will gain entry, and you need to keep up to date with the latest announcements regarding the travel restrictions and whether you qualify under the exemptions for entry.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#exemptions

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020
You need to be more careful here.

Don't just take another flight to Canada unless you get some kind of assurance that you're going to be allowed in by immigration.

They may have cancelled your TRV and may need another one now, so you might have to re-apply.

But you need to be more careful, getting refused entry is serious and may impact your ability to enter Canada in the future, and impact your ability to get visas in the future. It's also not normal for a border officer to refuse you entry within this time frame, it's not really reasonable for them to expect you to come only 2 weeks before your course starts. They must have deemed your travel discretionary.

Ask by webform whether you need another TRV now, after explaining your situation.

You need to take a flight only once you receive an assurance you will gain entry, and you need to keep up to date with the latest announcements regarding the travel restrictions and whether you qualify under the exemptions for entry.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#exemptions
What, really? But the officer said if I complied with him, he would not make it difficult for me to re-enter. He told me it would maybe be fine if I tried late August. Should I talk to a lawyer about this? I will send a webform.

Also, could you clarify what you mean by affect my future visas? Could this affect other types of immigration streams like EE or spousal sponsorship? On my file, won't they be able to see the reason for my refusal is just because I came too early on my student visa?

Thank you for your reply btw, very helpful.

prospectiveab

Star Member
Jul 19, 2020
Did you try to enter Canada 3 months prior to your program start date? Sorry to say, but it's too risky if that's the case, I always read similar cases get denied entry and often resulting in study permit cancellations.

Try searching the forums here for similar situations. There is plenty.

Aug 22, 2020
Did you try to enter Canada 3 months prior to your program start date? Sorry to say, but it's too risky if that's the case, I always read similar cases get denied entry and often resulting in study permit cancellations.

Try searching the forums here for similar situations. There is plenty.
It was just two months prior to my date of study.

I don't think my study permit was cancelled. The final application status in my IRCC accoint still says approved. It just says the stamp in my passport is invalid.

renron

Star Member
Jul 28, 2020

maybe these would help:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/counterfoil-invalid.556128/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/counterfoil-but-invalid-document.561397/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/got-copr-on-5-sept-cic-showing-invalid-document-now.522221/

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Your study permit won't even be issued yet. The counterfoil is a physical document, I am assuming you are a visa national, can you confirm this? Do you therefore have a temporary resident visa TRV in your passport? That is probably the counterfoil referred to. Ask IRCC if you need a new one.

Understand if you are a visa national, you will have an approval of study permit (the permit is not given till you arrive at the point of entry in Canada), plus you will have a TRV temporary resident visa. There is no such thing as a student visa for Canada. Be aware these are 2 documents. Be aware which one is marked as invalid.

CBSA has a telephone service unlike IRCC. Phone CBSA, give them all the facts.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
It was just two months prior to my date of study.

I don't think my study permit was cancelled. The final application status in my IRCC accoint still says approved. It just says the stamp in my passport is invalid.
I hope your situation gets sorted out...

But isn't early June 3 months before September?

And IRCC has said that students should not travel before 3 weeks of the program start date?