+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPRs issued after March 18. Residence in USA.

I Am A Shatriya

Star Member
Mar 9, 2020
1. Are you planning to travel by road or plane?
2. Is the land border even open? I thought that the travel restrictions were only applicable to the land border but not to air travel.
3. Are you moving permanently or planning to return to the US?
4. We are in a similar position. Our COPR was issued after March 18th, we're eager to do our landing but will need to return back to the US.
Did you get a chance to ask IRCC whether or not people could travel from US if their coprs are issued after March 18th?. Does that restriction apply to people who are currently residing in the US or just for people in other countries?.

cancan0505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
Did you get a chance to ask IRCC whether or not people could travel from US if their coprs are issued after March 18th?. Does that restriction apply to people who are currently residing in the US or just for people in other countries?.
I am getting mixed answers. I have asked them.

I Am A Shatriya

Star Member
Mar 9, 2020
Well, my situation is that if I decide to travel now and if they don’t allow me to enter Canada then, I won’t be able to return back to US since my visa will be expiring in early July.

cancan0505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
I have no clue when AVR could be used. I am on F-1 visa and my opt will be expiring in July first week.
You should email CBP your specific situation and ask. What visa will you be on after July? If you have an approved H1-B and associated I-797, I believe you can re-enter using AVR, but obviously confirm with the CBP and a lawyer.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
1. Are you planning to travel by road or plane?
2. Is the land border even open? I thought that the travel restrictions were only applicable to the land border but not to air travel.
3. Are you moving permanently or planning to return to the US?
4. We are in a similar position. Our COPR was issued after March 18th, we're eager to do our landing but will need to return back to the US.
  1. I am flying on the 14th July via Delta
  2. Land border is open but immigration services may not be available is what CBSA has said on the phone
  3. Moving permanently
  4. Returning back I think is fine. As long as you are allowed back into the USA

cancan0505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
  1. I am flying on the 14th July via Delta
  2. Land border is open but immigration services may not be available is what CBSA has said on the phone
  3. Moving permanently
  4. Returning back I think is fine. As long as you are allowed back into the USA
For #3, my concern is that Canada won't consider soft landing as essential and won't allow us in. Do you happen to have any clarity on this front?

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
Well, my situation is that if I decide to travel now and if they don’t allow me to enter Canada then, I won’t be able to return back to US since my visa will be expiring in early July.
If Canada rejects entry, they will give you a rejection slip. You show that one to the CBP officers - the US has to take you back in based on the arrangement between the two countries. You would essentially still be in the US if CBSA rejects entry.

If however, CBSA lets you in Canada, then officially you leave USA and reentry will depend on visa status and all.

I Am A Shatriya

Star Member
Mar 9, 2020
If Canada rejects entry, they will give you a rejection slip. You show that one to the CBP officers - the US has to take you back in based on the arrangement between the two countries. You would essentially still be in the US if CBSA rejects entry.

If however, CBSA lets you in Canada, then officially you leave USA and reentry will depend on visa status and all.
As it’s mentioned on the IRCC website that foreign nationals of other countries residing in US can actually travel to Canada but the travel should be essential. Since, I’ll be moving permanently to Canada with no intentions to return to US since my visa will be expired by then, wouldn’t my traveling be considered essential?. Also, I would be actually flying from New York or New Jersey as my driver’s license has expired.

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
As it’s mentioned on the IRCC website that foreign nationals of other countries residing in US can actually travel to Canada but the travel should be essential. Since, I’ll be moving permanently to Canada with no intentions to return to US since my visa will be expired by then, wouldn’t my traveling be considered essential?. Also, I would be actually flying from New York or New Jersey as my driver’s license has expired.
If your copr was issued prior to march 18, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about if you fly. IRCC hasn't posted anything clear on post march 18 flights

I Am A Shatriya

Star Member
Mar 9, 2020
If your copr was issued prior to march 18, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about if you fly. IRCC hasn't posted anything clear on post march 18 flights
Well, my copr was issued after March 18th but how’s traveling by air is different from traveling by road if someone’s coming directly from US?.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
People coming directly from the USA would be allowed. So you have to cross land border or have a flight straight from USA. I confirmed this with CBSA.

For #3, my concern is that Canada won't consider soft landing as essential and won't allow us in. Do you happen to have any clarity on this front?
If you intend to quarantine, the immigration officer doesn’t care if you return back after you are PR. At the time of landing just present your case that you’re moving to Canada. And then after 14 days you can return back.

There’s also this exception which may be worth trying if you don’t want to wait 14 days.

Exception — leaving Canada
8 A person who must quarantine themselves under section 3 or remain in quarantine at a quarantine facility under section 4 may leave Canada before the expiry of the 14-day quarantine period provided they continue to quarantine themselves until they depart from Canada and provided they depart in a manner consistent with the travel requirements set out in section 2.2.
https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=39166

I Am A Shatriya

Star Member
Mar 9, 2020
People coming directly from the USA would be allowed. So you have to cross land border or have a flight straight from USA. I confirmed this with CBSA.

How did you confirm this news?. Did you email or call them?.
Please share their number and email so that I could also try reaching them.

Thanks,

If you intend to quarantine, the immigration officer doesn’t care if you return back after you are PR. At the time of landing just present your case that you’re moving to Canada. And then after 14 days you can return back.

There’s also this exception which may be worth trying if you don’t want to wait 14 days.

Exception — leaving Canada
8 A person who must quarantine themselves under section 3 or remain in quarantine at a quarantine facility under section 4 may leave Canada before the expiry of the 14-day quarantine period provided they continue to quarantine themselves until they depart from Canada and provided they depart in a manner consistent with the travel requirements set out in section 2.2.
https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=39166

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
How did you confirm this news?. Did you email or call them?
Please share their number and email so that I could also try reaching them.

Thanks,
I called CBSA and they confirmed multiple times over the phone. There contact info is here
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html

Their website lists this info:
Arriving from the United States
If you are a foreign national arriving from the United States, to enter Canada, you must prove to the CBSAthat you:

• are travelling for a non-discretionary (essential) purpose or are only transiting or are an immediate family member
  • are not presenting signs or symptoms of COVID-19
  • have a plan to quarantine for 14 days, unless exempted
These measures are currently in effect until July 21, 2020, and may be extended.

Arriving from a country other than the United States
If you are a foreign national arriving from a country other than the United States, to enter Canada, you must prove to the CBSA that you:

• are listed as being exempted from travel restrictions (including immediate family members)
  • are travelling for a non-discretionary (essential) purpose
  • are not presenting signs or symptoms of COVID-19
  • have a plan to quarantine for 14 days, unless exempted
These measures are currently in effect until June 30, 2020, and may be extended.