+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPRs issued after March 18. Residence in USA.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
Hi all, just wanted a thread that has some updates or people in the same situation as the thread title. As we know, we aren’t able to travel according to this act that was extended: https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=39285&lang=en

Some questions to discuss:
  • When do you plan to travel?
  • Have you applied for extension via webform?
  • When does your COPR expire?
  • Would you traveling by land or air?
If there’s already a thread please post here and I can continue/read.

My situation is that COPR expires August 6, and it was issued after March 18. Planning to travel by mid July if the border closures end on June 21.

Thanks for the help

sandbox032020

May 6, 2020
My COPR expires on June 12th, haven't received a reply for the webform I submitted on May 15th apart from the standard one saying "We verified the information you provided and have forwarded it to the responsible office."

Reactions: amanb014

Aliya45

Apr 30, 2020
Hi,
My COPR was also issued after March 18th and I too reside in USA. Waiting to travel as soon as the restrictions are lifted.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
Do you think we can request IRCC or border services to consider people like us that are waiting to start our life to be considered as an exemption?

It seems like immigration should be considered essential as we just want to travel and settle down.

Aliya45

Apr 30, 2020
I think we should but I am not sure how to reach out to them. The web form replies are very generic. I tried reaching to IRCC on twitter but did not get any response yet. I think if copr expiry is near we can travel as it is essential for us...but again there is no guarantee they will let us in.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
I called the CBSA today and asked if immigration from the USA is considered essential or not, but all they could say over the phone is that it’s up to the immigration officer at port of entry if they consider it essential or not. They cannot say over the phone that we would be given entry even though we have valid visa.

Aliya45

Apr 30, 2020
Thanks for letting us know. I think the chances of the border officer considering our travel as essential are more if we travel closer to our expiry date. I hope they ease out the restrictions by the end of this month and we are able to travel.

sandbox032020

May 6, 2020
I called the CBSA today and asked if immigration from the USA is considered essential or not, but all they could say over the phone is that it’s up to the immigration officer at port of entry if they consider it essential or not. They cannot say over the phone that we would be given entry even though we have valid visa.
I live in Texas and can't afford to travel all the way to Vancouver with my family and rely on a border officer to let us in.. that's too risky. I won't travel unless I get something concrete from IRCC. My COPR expires on Friday anyways, have no option but to wait for a reply from IRCC.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
I live in Texas and can't afford to travel all the way to Vancouver with my family and rely on a border officer to let us in.. that's too risky. I won't travel unless I get something concrete from IRCC. My COPR expires on Friday anyways, have no option but to wait for a reply from IRCC.
Yeah. It’s too risky for me as well. Also, if you get to Canada port of entry, essentially you have LEFT the United States. So getting back home, you have to follow and be eligible to enter the US based on the USA immigration officer.

Last edited:

Tess007

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
Hi,
I know my question is not directly related to the thread, but I'm just planning.

I live in Texas too but will make a week stop in NC. Which border is better if one wants to import the car? Our destination is Winnipeg, manitoba. Any info about route?

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
I sent this email to CBSA yesterday, maybe if we ask they will answer. Yesterday the government made a decision for letting family of citizens and PRs to come through the border (children, spouse). Maybe if enough people ask that immigration should be allowed, they will respond.

Dear Officer,

I am writing to you as a humble request for a reconsideration of immigration as an exemption under the travel restrictions currently imposed for the US-Canadian border. It is essential for us to move to Canada and start our life as Canadian Permanent Residents.

We are currently living in the United States and have gone through the lengthy and thorough immigration process put forward by IRCC to obtain a Confirmation of Permanent Resident (COPR). Since our COPR was issued after March 18, 2020, we are not allowed to enter Canada since we are not exempt from the travel restrictions. This document as you know has a short validity period in which we are required to travel to Canada for our first landing as immigrants to become permanent residents.

For our scenario, the COPR and PR Visa expires on August 6, 2020, and we would like to start our Canadian life as a Permanent Resident as soon as possible.

Currently, people holding such COPRs are stuck in their own home countries, waiting to travel for the first time and start their life in Canada. We desperately want to move and start settling down as well as contribute to the rising economy of Canada.

We fully intend to cooperate with CBSA instructions and quarantine ourselves for 14 days upon arrival in Canada as well as after the 2 weeks of quarantine are complete.

Please know this is a humble request for considering our scenario and please let us know when we can enter Canada.

Hi,
I know my question is not directly related to the thread, but I'm just planning.

I live in Texas too but will make a week stop in NC. Which border is better if one wants to import the car? Our destination is Winnipeg, manitoba. Any info about route?
I’m guessing all borders are the same, you should be able to enter or cross from any of them if you are allowed.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
That is a very well written email. Please let us know what they reply.
Got a reply today, seems generic -

Please note that the present Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) e-mail address is intended for general inquiries and answers general questions about the programs and services it offers.

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is committed to limiting the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Canada, while facilitating travel and trade.

During this time, we are limiting travel to essential travel only. We are asking individuals not to travel at this time if it is not deemed essential. Non-essential travel includes, but is not limited to: tourism, recreation, and/or sight-seeing. Essential travel may be defined as, but is not limited to: economic services and supply chains; critical infrastructure support; health (immediate medical care), safety and security; transiting through Canada for essential purposes; indigenous communities; cross-border employment; tending to family matters for essential purposes; and shopping for essential goods such as medication or basic needs.

As of April 22, there continues to be a temporary restriction on all non-essential travel at the Canada-U.S. border. This restriction has been extended until June 21, 2020, and can be prolonged as necessary for public health reasons.

Note that there are several factors that border services officers (BSOs) must take into account before determining whether a person is admissible into Canada, and each person will be dealt with in person on a case-by-case basis. The burden of proof rests with the foreign national seeking entry to Canada to satisfy the BSO they are admissible in accordance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. Complying with documentary requirements does not guarantee entry into Canada. The following page on the CBSA website provides additional information on this:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

Please refer to the following website for more information regarding travel restrictions and exemptions due to COVID-19:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

For the most up to date information on COVID-19:

· Visit www.canada.ca/coronavirus

· Contact the COVID-19 telephone information line: 1-833-784-4397

o Interpretation services are available in multiple languages for those who do not speak English or French.

· Email: phac.covid19.aspc@canada.ca

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

Aliya45

Apr 30, 2020
Thanks for sharing. Yes that is a very generic response. I feel like entering with COPR must come under essential travel.
I also re-read their travel restrictions on their website and I think people from the U.S can travel even if their COPR was approved after March 18th.

All other foreign nationals
To be eligible, you must meet 2 requirements:
Here is says we must meet both requirements and we do....we are traveling for an essential purpose and we are entering from the U.S...so even though we are not exempt from the travel restrictions, I don't think it matters. But again in the end it is their discretion but this is what I feel.

Info pasted from - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#other

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
Thanks for sharing. Yes that is a very generic response. I feel like entering with COPR must come under essential travel.
I also re-read their travel restrictions on their website and I think people from the U.S can travel even if their COPR was approved after March 18th.

All other foreign nationals
To be eligible, you must meet 2 requirements:
Here is says we must meet both requirements and we do....we are traveling for an essential purpose and we are entering from the U.S...so even though we are not exempt from the travel restrictions, I don't think it matters. But again in the end it is their discretion but this is what I feel.

Info pasted from - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#other

Have there been successful cases of people traveling from the US with COPR after March 18? That’s probably the only way to know. It’s too risky for me to travel and check because I may not be able to enter back into US at the moment if Canada denies entry.