+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPRs issued after March 18. Residence in USA.

I Am A Shatriya

Star Member
Mar 9, 2020
I called CBSA and they confirmed multiple times over the phone. There contact info is here
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html

Their website lists this info:
Arriving from the United States
If you are a foreign national arriving from the United States, to enter Canada, you must prove to the CBSAthat you:

• are travelling for a non-discretionary (essential) purpose or are only transiting or are an immediate family member
  • are not presenting signs or symptoms of COVID-19
  • have a plan to quarantine for 14 days, unless exempted
These measures are currently in effect until July 21, 2020, and may be extended.

Arriving from a country other than the United States
If you are a foreign national arriving from a country other than the United States, to enter Canada, you must prove to the CBSA that you:

• are listed as being exempted from travel restrictions (including immediate family members)
  • are travelling for a non-discretionary (essential) purpose
  • are not presenting signs or symptoms of COVID-19
  • have a plan to quarantine for 14 days, unless exempted
These measures are currently in effect until June 30, 2020, and may be extended.
Thanks a lot.

EricD

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Here is an unfortunate guy with COPR issued just days after Mar 18 ( Mar 23 ):rolleyes:
Found some non-official observations: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/experience-sharing-of-landing-at-yvr.691144/post-8674323
Seems that land border CBSA is ok with COPR no matter when it is issued... Hoping for more DPs.
BTW I agree to the logic that as long as COPR holders can land if the COPR was issued before Mar 18, then the "landing" activity must be deemed "non-optional" because that is one of the prerequisites of ANY travel to Canada.

guptaks1991

Jul 23, 2019
Anyone planning to travel this month by road?
Just called the CBSA and they mentioned that " if immigration services are available at the border or Port of entry they won't deny your entry if you have a valid COPR (ie even if your COPR issue date is after March 18th)"

cancan0505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
Just called the CBSA and they mentioned that " if immigration services are available at the border or Port of entry they won't deny your entry if you have a valid COPR (ie even if your COPR issue date is after March 18th)"
Which port of entry did you talk to? We're planning to travel by road in early August.

Last edited:

EricD

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Most of them are opening 24hrs right?

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
I’m not planning to travel by road but by air on July 14.

EricD

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html
Guys this page has been updated on July 10th and it explictly said:

Travelling from the US
You can travel to Canada from the United States to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident if

• we approved your application and
  • we sent you a CoPR
If you’re outside Canada
If you come to Canada, make sure you’re exempt from the travel restrictions. You won’t be allowed to enter Canada right now if you’re travelling for reasons like:

• tourism
  • recreation
  • entertainment
  • to finalize your permanent residence application but not settle here yet

Conclusion: you can enter Canada from US if you wish to do permanent landing (instead of soft landing), as long as you hold a CoPR (regardless of issue date) Hooray!

Update on July 12: I called CBSA just now and the agent said I can travel from US to Canada with COPR regardless of issue date, and I must stay in Canada for at least 14 days ("settle") , which means I cannot just have the COPR signed and make a U-turn to go back to US.

Last edited:

ca_2019

Jul 30, 2019
Following. I'm in a similar position as some of you: Currently in the US (non-citizen), CoPR issued in May, expiring in Sep. I intend to make a soft landing early Aug, either by road or air - haven't decided yet.

Seems like from this thread, that they would allow folks with CoPR after Mar 21 to enter, as long as they show the intention to move. But you could technically return to the US after the 14 day mandatory quarantine if you have a valid US visa?

EricD

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Following. I'm in a similar position as some of you: Currently in the US (non-citizen), CoPR issued in May, expiring in Sep. I intend to make a soft landing early Aug, either by road or air - haven't decided yet.

Seems like from this thread, that they would allow folks with CoPR after Mar 21 to enter, as long as they show the intention to move. But you could technically return to the US after the 14 day mandatory quarantine if you have a valid US visa?
Yes you can. BTW I intend to land in Sep.

Last edited:

ca_2019

Jul 30, 2019
Thanks! My Visa office was Ottawa for Express Entry-Federal Skilled Workers. Can I cross through any province along the US-CAN border?

EricD

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Thanks! My Visa office was Ottawa for Express Entry-Federal Skilled Workers. Can I cross through any province along the US-CAN border?
Good question... I forgot to ask their working hours... Maybe you can give them a call to find out: 800-461-9999

cancan0505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
We recently completed landing via the Detroit-Windsor land border. Our COPR was approved after March 18th.

- The new guidance states that COPRs living in the US are only allowed to go to Canada if they are moving to settle permanently.
- We are unable to move to Canada permanently right now (due to COVID) and decided to drive to the border to complete our landing procedures and come back the same day. We got some mild push back from the immigration officers but we explained our situation and they agreed to process our landing. - If you're not moving permanently, it depends on your officer as to whether they will process your COPR or not. Based on what I am hearing from many folks, they are not turning anyone away.
- We were not asked to quarantine because we were returning the same day.
- We had no issues returning to the US. We had valid H1B visa stamps.

Let me know if anyone has any questions. This forum helped me out a lot!!

ricecake

Aug 7, 2020
We recently completed landing via the Detroit-Windsor land border. Our COPR was approved after March 18th.

- The new guidance states that COPRs living in the US are only allowed to go to Canada if they are moving to settle permanently.
- We are unable to move to Canada permanently right now (due to COVID) and decided to drive to the border to complete our landing procedures and come back the same day. We got some mild push back from the immigration officers but we explained our situation and they agreed to process our landing. - If you're not moving permanently, it depends on your officer as to whether they will process your COPR or not. Based on what I am hearing from many folks, they are not turning anyone away.
- We were not asked to quarantine because we were returning the same day.
- We had no issues returning to the US. We had valid H1B visa stamps.

Let me know if anyone has any questions. This forum helped me out a lot!!
Hello,

Thank you for your sharing. I live far from the borders, but am interested to make a U-turn trip if possible. I have a couple questions:

- Is your landing destination always Windsor? Currently I have BC on mine. Wonder if that matters.
- Did you drive back and forth at the border? Or is it possible for someone to drop me off and wait on the US side?

Thank you!

cancan0505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
Hello,

Thank you for your sharing. I live far from the borders, but am interested to make a U-turn trip if possible. I have a couple questions:

- Is your landing destination always Windsor? Currently I have BC on mine. Wonder if that matters.
- Did you drive back and forth at the border? Or is it possible for someone to drop me off and wait on the US side?

Thank you!
Hi,

I don't think we filled out a landing destination as part of the PR process. I think you can land anywhere except in Montreal.

You will need to drive back and forth from the border. I didn't see a walkway between the US and Canada side.

I hope this helps!