+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPRs issued after March 18. Residence in USA.

Aliya45

Apr 30, 2020
It's mentioned on the website that people should be exempted from the current travel restrictions, as of now we don't fall into that category since our coprs were issued after March 18th. It would be a risk to travel unless they remove this restriction. Anyway, how are you planning to move by road or air?.
I plan to travel by road. I was planning to travel in July but I am uncertain now because of yesterday's executive order. May be August.
We dont have a valid visa stamp in our passport so want to be sure AVR still works.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
I had raised a webform to IRCC regarding this and they replied with the below.
It clearly says that we are not allowed to travel if COPR is issued after March 18 AND are outside the United States.
Inside the United States, the March 18 rule is irrelevant.

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The Government of Canada is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and any impacts on IRCC clients.

If your Confirmation of permanent residence was issued after March 18, 2020, and you are outside of the United States:

For more information on the situation and to receive up-to-date information, we invite you to verify our website.

mits26

Apr 29, 2020
I had raised a webform to IRCC regarding this and they replied with the below.
It clearly says that we are not allowed to travel if COPR is issued after March 18 AND are outside the United States.
Inside the United States, the March 18 rule is irrelevant.

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The Government of Canada is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and any impacts on IRCC clients.

If your Confirmation of permanent residence was issued after March 18, 2020, and you are outside of the United States:

For more information on the situation and to receive up-to-date information, we invite you to verify our website.

We contacted them they said we cannot travel, i am from United States , my COPR is also after March 18th. And it expires in July.
can you please share email screenshot.?

mits26

Apr 29, 2020
How did you reach out to them? By raising a webform or did you call them?.
I have raised the webform , to that reply is yet to come.

I had called IRCC twice to which first one said she doesn't know ask border service.
The other said you can't travel.

Called border service thrice
Once says they don't know ask IRCC
Other says you can't travel.
One more says u can travel.

They are all confused.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
We contacted them they said we cannot travel, i am from United States , my COPR is also after March 18th. And it expires in July.
can you please share email screenshot.?
Here is the screenshot of the email I got.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YxUz1QcRxjTtu6FF8

I have raised the webform , to that reply is yet to come.

I had called IRCC twice to which first one said she doesn't know ask border service.
The other said you can't travel.

Called border service thrice
Once says they don't know ask IRCC
Other says you can't travel.
One more says u can travel.

They are all confused.
We had the same experience. After you explain their own rules to them, they understand. But the people answering phones don’t know much info.

I Am A Shatriya

Star Member
Mar 9, 2020
Here is the screenshot of the email I got.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YxUz1QcRxjTtu6FF8

We had the same experience. After you explain their own rules to them, they understand. But the people answering phones don’t know much info.
My current US visa is going to expire soon in July, I was wondering if that could also play a role while completing my landing. That could be considered a legitimate reason for traveling since I wouldn’t want to stay the expiry of my visa. I could explain this to the CBSA officer once I land.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
My current US visa is going to expire soon in July, I was wondering if that could also play a role while completing my landing. That could be considered a legitimate reason for traveling since I wouldn’t want to stay the expiry of my visa. I could explain this to the CBSA officer once I land.
I am in the same situation. US visa expires in July. But either case - traveling to move permanently to Canada is considered essential. Otherwise the people moving that have copr before March 18 from India, wouldn’t be allowed.

I Am A Shatriya

Star Member
Mar 9, 2020
I am in the same situation. US visa expires in July. But either case - traveling to move permanently to Canada is considered essential. Otherwise the people moving that have copr before March 18 from India, wouldn’t be allowed.
You meant after March 18 right?

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
Last edited:

Sid94587

Jan 9, 2018
So my friend entered USA on her H1B for work, she has a Canadian PR. If we look at it the other way, if one leaves US to enter Canada, and if he is denied entry, he can come back to the US as he has an essential purpose here, i.e. the work.

cancan0505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
1. Are you planning to travel by road or plane?
2. Is the land border even open? I thought that the travel restrictions were only applicable to the land border but not to air travel.
3. Are you moving permanently or planning to return to the US?
4. We are in a similar position. Our COPR was issued after March 18th, we're eager to do our landing but will need to return back to the US.