+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR needed for oath?

Meequash

Apr 7, 2018
Hi I'm on the same boat. At the interview they didn't ask for the copr. But I plan to ask for it if needed for pension in the future. It will take some time. If oath comes before I'll take the risk to go without it. Hopefully I'll receive it before...
Yes, we will do the same. But it would really be interesting to know what happened to other applicants who did not have CoPR at Oath Ceremony. Can they deny you at this point? I personally don't think so. If this is such an important document an applicant needs to have they would include it in the documents needed at time of application but it is not mentioned at all. Good luck and let me know how you made out, your Oath Ceremony will be long before ours, we just received AORs in April.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
There was at least one person at my oath ceremony yesterday who did not have his COPR. I do not know what they did for him at check in, but I do know that he did take his oath and receive his certificate. I suspect that it's not required to take the oath, but I do not know the specifics of his situation other than he did not have it.

Meequash

Apr 7, 2018
Applied for VOS for lost CoPR document end of April and received e-mail with PDF-document yesterday. It only took 1 month to get it.

RP1

Star Member
Sep 10, 2017
My COPR was asked for yesterday at my oath ceremony (when they were doing check-ins). They took my PR card and stamped my COPR with something along the lines of "The holder of this document is no longer a permanent resident" I was advised to keep it in a safe place along with my certificate as it will be used later for my pension.[/QUOT

That is because you had the record of landing IM 1000 - which needs to be stamped at the back. The COPR does not need to be stamped.

Meequash

Apr 7, 2018
Does the VOS work for the citizenship oath? Can you advise
When I received the VOS the e-mail stated: "As of November 2013, the Operations Support Centre has been issuing an electronic, uncertified Verification of Status (VOS) document that confirms pertinent historical information retrieved from the original documents, such as date of entry and status at document issuance etc. You will not be receiving a plain paper, uncertified VOS document. Your electronic copy is acceptable at all Service Canada locations; however, please ensure that the watermark “NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL” appears on the document."
This is a replacement document for the CoPR so I am assuming it must be sufficient for the citizenship oath.

RP1

Star Member
Sep 10, 2017
When I received the VOS the e-mail stated: "As of November 2013, the Operations Support Centre has been issuing an electronic, uncertified Verification of Status (VOS) document that confirms pertinent historical information retrieved from the original documents, such as date of entry and status at document issuance etc. You will not be receiving a plain paper, uncertified VOS document. Your electronic copy is acceptable at all Service Canada locations; however, please ensure that the watermark “NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL” appears on the document."
This is a replacement document for the CoPR so I am assuming it must be sufficient for the citizenship oath.
ok great - Thanks - let me know when you go for your oath

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Note that at least the Kitchener IRCC office require the original copy of the COPR during the test/interview.
They said that the omission from the published checklist is an error and that it is needed, along with all the other original documents.
People were told to fetch it and bring it back later in the day if they didn't have it ready for inspection and copying.

RP1

Star Member
Sep 10, 2017
Note that at least the Kitchener IRCC office require the original copy of the COPR during the test/interview.
They said that the omission from the published checklist is an error and that it is needed, along with all the other original documents.
People were told to fetch it and bring it back later in the day if they didn't have it ready for inspection and copying.
Great, try to get some information if they would accept the VOS at the oath - as the result of a lost COPR????

Where to submit the form
Immigration and citizenship applicants
If you have not yet submitted your immigration or citizenship application:

Send this form along with your application to the office listed in the guide of your application.

If you have already submitted your immigration or citizenship application:
You may use this Web form to upload the IMM 5476.

or;

If you know which IRCC office is processing your immigration or citizenship application, send the completed form to the office mailing address. Consult IRCC office mailing addresses.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5545-application-verification-status-vos-replacement-immigration-document.html

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
If an applicant has lost the original COPR... then they present the verification of status document....PERIOD......
IRCC does not issue duplicate COPR.... and every officer knows that.... so if you have lost your COPR then get a VOS ...... simple

RP1

Star Member
Sep 10, 2017
If an applicant has lost the original COPR... then they present the verification of status document....PERIOD......
IRCC does not issue duplicate COPR.... and every officer knows that.... so if you have lost your COPR then get a VOS ...... simple
Thank you for the clarification

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I can assure you, I do not have an IMM 1000 it is IMM 5688. The office where I took my oath took all of the applicants COPR and stamped each and every one.

RP1

Star Member
Sep 10, 2017
I can assure you, I do not have an IMM 1000 it is IMM 5688. The office where I took my oath took all of the applicants COPR and stamped each and every one.
'I think they made a mistake as the IM 1000 is the only document required to be stamped - no longer a PR. see below link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/updating-1000-form-upon-acquisition.html

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I don't think so. The purpose of stamping the COPR with "no longer a PR" is to signify that I am now a citizen. I am no longer a PR.

EDIT: The link you are referencing hasn't been updated since 2014. I suspect they would update it with the new IMM 5688 form which is what all new PR's have been receiving for at least that long. Not sure when they switched forms. But both are effectively your CORP just look different.

RP1

Star Member
Sep 10, 2017
I don't think so. The purpose of stamping the COPR with "no longer a PR" is to signify that I am now a citizen. I am no longer a PR.

EDIT: The link you are referencing hasn't been updated since 2014. I suspect they would update it with the new IMM 5688 form which is what all new PR's have been receiving for at least that long. Not sure when they switched forms. But both are effectively your CORP just look different.
The COPR has stamped NOT Valid For Travel already. People could have travelled with the IM 1000 - it is a fraud preventative measure -

https://recordoflanding.ca/faqs/what-is-a-confirmation-of-permanent-residence/

Last edited: