+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR needed for oath?

alexb

Nov 17, 2012
I've long lost my COPR document, and I didn't need for it for my citizenship application or citizenship test. I haven't sent it out with the application and during the interview after the test I wasn't asked for it. Would it still be needed for the oath ceremony? Have I just lucked out that they haven't asked for it in the application or interview? I'm debating whether to apply for the "lost immigration document" procedure.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
The documents the candidate must bring with them to the oath ceremony are:
  • This notice,
  • Personal identification,
  • IMM 1000, IMM 5292 or IMM 5688 form,
  • Permanent resident card [PR card],
  • A holy book of their choice, if they wish to use one to swear the oath of citizenship;
The foregoing will be mentioned in your Notice to Appear.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013

Meequash

Apr 7, 2018
My husband misplaced his IMM 5292, it was not needed for citizenship application but we learned today it may or may not be needed for oath ceremony. Anyone here who did not have this form and was refused to take the oath because of the missing form? He has all other required documents and also a certified copy of his immigration Visa from his passport.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I've long lost my COPR document, and I didn't need for it for my citizenship application or citizenship test. I haven't sent it out with the application and during the interview after the test I wasn't asked for it. Would it still be needed for the oath ceremony? Have I just lucked out that they haven't asked for it in the application or interview? I'm debating whether to apply for the "lost immigration document" procedure.
Very strange you did not need your CoPR for the citizenship application..almost not possible.

Meequash

Apr 7, 2018

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
My husband misplaced his IMM 5292, it was not needed for citizenship application but we learned today it may or may not be needed for oath ceremony. Anyone here who did not have this form and was refused to take the oath because of the missing form? He has all other required documents and also a certified copy of his immigration Visa from his passport.
FYI, the COPR was also requested on my oath invite. At the oath ceremony two weeks ago no one asked for it.

Reactions: Meequash

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
My COPR was asked for yesterday at my oath ceremony (when they were doing check-ins). They took my PR card and stamped my COPR with something along the lines of "The holder of this document is no longer a permanent resident" I was advised to keep it in a safe place along with my certificate as it will be used later for my pension.

Reactions: vasvas and Meequash
That is the problem with all these note that we are requesting randomly without any reason to. If your application is under 12 month and you have had no issue while living in Canada there is no reason for you to request note. There are some people who will genuinely need to request note whose note are being delayed by the random unreasonable requests by the majority. Let's exercise some patience and allow CIC to do their job.

Meequash

Apr 7, 2018
Thank you for all for your input. Looks like CIC will ask for the CoPR randomly at the Oath Ceremony so it may or may not be needed. Since others mentioned that this document will be needed later for pension claims we decided to apply for a copy which could take up to 8 months to get ... wow.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
My COPR was asked for yesterday at my oath ceremony (when they were doing check-ins). They took my PR card and stamped my COPR with something along the lines of "The holder of this document is no longer a permanent resident" I was advised to keep it in a safe place along with my certificate as it will be used later for my pension.
Congrats!

azntonios

Apr 8, 2018
Hi I'm on the same boat. At the interview they didn't ask for the copr. But I plan to ask for it if needed for pension in the future. It will take some time. If oath comes before I'll take the risk to go without it. Hopefully I'll receive it before...

Reactions: Meequash