+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR - February_March_April_2020 - COVID19 Situation - Travel and Landing in Canada

Gab_123

Mar 19, 2020
Canadian citizen here living in Japan with my wife (Japanese). Hoping to clarify some misinformation Ive been reading by those worried or unclear. My wife has her CoPR, and we are scheduled to fly to Canada from Tokyo end of this month. I’ve been in contact with the embassy here in Japan, regarding her situation. This was their reply:

“Please note that persons approved for permanent residence (CoPR) are not yet considered to be permanent residents. However, as you note there is an exception for immediate family members. The airlines are responsible for determining eligible travelers so we would advise you to travel together and have evidence of your relationship to make it easier for their determination.”

Her having her CoPR does NOT make her a permanent resident. However, she is an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen.

Regarding immediate family members, here is what Transport Canada says:

“The measure will come into force on Wednesday, March 18, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EDT. It would not apply to air crews, travelers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian Permanent Residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.”

In the case of immediate family members, it clearly states immediate family members of Canadian citizens (as opposed to immediate family members of Permanent Residents).

Transport Canada link here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

Hope that clarifies the current rules.

Adam261

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
My COPR expires on 1st of April
raised webform but the response was

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Please finds special measures to help temporary and permanent residents and applicants affected by the novel coronavirus (COVID ‑19)at the following link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html

For all general or case specific questions, technical issues and changes in address or representative, please submit inquiries via IRCC web form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp.

You may also contact the Client Service Centre , toll-free from within Canada, at 1-888-242-2100.

Regards

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

neeti2090

Feb 8, 2017
Hello Friends,
Need some help. I am the sponsor and my parents got COPR under Parents and grandparents sponsorship program. They are in India and have to come here before April 28th. Which is not possible now due to the travel restrictions because of COVID 19. so we have to fill the Webform and request for extension date. In the Webform the field - Type of application/Inquiry field . what do we select from the dropdown?

mandy7599

Mar 19, 2020
Hello Friends,
Need some help. I am the sponsor and my parents got COPR under Parents and grandparents sponsorship program. They are in India and have to come here before April 28th. Which is not possible now due to the travel restrictions because of COVID 19. so we have to fill the Webform and request for extension date. In the Webform the field - Type of application/Inquiry field . what do we select from the dropdown?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/03/canada-provides-update-on-exemptions-to-travel-restrictions-to-protect-canadians-and-support-the-economy.html

Gab_123

Mar 19, 2020
Canadian citizen here living in Japan with my wife (Japanese). Hoping to clarify some misinformation Ive been reading by those worried or unclear. My wife has her CoPR, and we are scheduled to fly to Canada from Tokyo end of this month. I’ve been in contact with the embassy here in Japan, regarding her situation. This was their reply:

“Please note that persons approved for permanent residence (CoPR) are not yet considered to be permanent residents. However, as you note there is an exception for immediate family members. The airlines are responsible for determining eligible travelers so we would advise you to travel together and have evidence of your relationship to make it easier for their determination.”

Her having her CoPR does NOT make her a permanent resident. However, she is an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen.

Regarding immediate family members, here is what Transport Canada says:

“The measure will come into force on Wednesday, March 18, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EDT. It would not apply to air crews, travelers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian Permanent Residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.”

In the case of immediate family members, it clearly states immediate family members of Canadian citizens (as opposed to immediate family members of Permanent Residents).

Transport Canada link here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

Hope that clarifies the current rules.
Updated on the above Transport Canada link:

Immediate family members of permanent residents also permitted.

“... an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or of a permanent resident, i.e. spouse/common-law partner, child and/or a child of a child; “

Nikmal

Star Member
May 30, 2018
Hi All,

"Temporary foreign workers, some international students and approved permanent residents who haven’t yet landed are now able to enter Canada.

The travel restriction exemptions that were announced are now in place. If you’re exempt, you can now travel to Canada.

If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.

When you arrive in Canada we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory.

Only people who provide essential services and truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods are exempt from the isolation requirements.

As announced on March 20, 2020, foreign nationals who were approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but had not landed yet, will be able to come to Canada."

nehapsha

Mar 17, 2020
Hi All,

"Temporary foreign workers, some international students and approved permanent residents who haven’t yet landed are now able to enter Canada.

The travel restriction exemptions that were announced are now in place. If you’re exempt, you can now travel to Canada.

If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.

When you arrive in Canada we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory.

Only people who provide essential services and truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods are exempt from the isolation requirements.

As announced on March 20, 2020, foreign nationals who were approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but had not landed yet, will be able to come to Canada."
is passport request a copr approval?? i got it on 12 march but got back passports on 19 march. dont know if i can travel. expiry date is july

Anannya Basak

Mar 22, 2020
My tickets are booked for Canada on 24th April 2020 with PR visa..will I be able to travel on the same date as mentioned???

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Hello,
Any news about COPR extensions?
Bump, same question - did anyone hear back from IRCC outside the generic response? (FYI: I had written to them on 11 March. Awaiting response. COPR valid until mid-May. India travel ban currently until 14 April)

neeti2090

Feb 8, 2017
Bump, same question - did anyone hear back from IRCC outside the generic response? (FYI: I had written to them on 11 March. Awaiting response. COPR valid until mid-May. India travel ban currently until 14 April)
Only received the generic response. However it does not mention about extension. When is your COPR valid untill?