+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR EXPIRY- H1B Approved but not Stamped

aperi

Mar 3, 2020
Hello,

I am currently in the US with a approved H1B visa (valid I-797) but have not been able to get it stamped on my passport yet. I also have a valid COPR which is about to expire in May 2021. The IRCC website states that, people living in the US with a valid COPR can travel to Canada to settle permanently, however I am not ready to permanently relocate to Canada. In this case what are my options ?

I know the US consulates are not open for H1B visa appointments. There is the option of AVR, but how risky is this ?

Can I risk travelling to Canada for my landing stamp and try to return back to the US on the same day using the AVR ? Is the AVR valid only for land crossing or both Air/Land ?

Finally, anyone else stuck in a similar situation ?

Thanks,

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
Hello,

I am currently in the US with a approved H1B visa (valid I-797) but have not been able to get it stamped on my passport yet. I also have a valid COPR which is about to expire in May 2021. The IRCC website states that, people living in the US with a valid COPR can travel to Canada to settle permanently, however I am not ready to permanently relocate to Canada. In this case what are my options ?

I know the US consulates are not open for H1B visa appointments. There is the option of AVR, but how risky is this ?

Can I risk travelling to Canada for my landing stamp and try to return back to the US on the same day using the AVR ? Is the AVR valid only for land crossing or both Air/Land ?

Finally, anyone else stuck in a similar situation ?

Thanks,
AVR is valid for both air and land travel, as long as you have valid I94 and approved I797 you should be good. Ton of people used AVR to enter back into United States after soft landing and other reasons. How risky depends on you, there is no reason for CBP officer to deny entry unless you give them one.

Last edited:
Reactions: sowsiv

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
One additional note which is not covered is about the quarantine rules. So you might not be able to return on same day. You can request them if you can return, if they dont allow then you might need to quarantine hence plan accordingly.
Also you need to prepare for your entry into Canada as you cant just simply go in anymore:
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/driving-canada-checklist

Last edited:
Reactions: sowsiv

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
One additional note which is not covered is about the quarantine rules. So you might not be able to return on same day. You can request them if you can return, if they dont allow then you might need to quarantine hence plan accordingly.
Also you need to prepare for your entry into Canada as your cant just simply go in anymore:
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/driving-canada-checklist
With all these new rules it is simply not the best idea to do soft landing.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
With all these new rules it is simply not the best idea to do soft landing.
well if the copr is expiring in a month, no other choice. i am not sure if cic extends the validity like last year. if not they need to land to gain PR status.

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
well if the copr is expiring in a month, no other choice. i am not sure if cic extends the validity like last year. if not they need to land to gain PR status.
That is true, but it doesnt make sense if IRCC forces someone (by not extending COPR) to do hard/soft landing in these uncertain times.

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Shouldn’t that policy extend till end of COVID?
Pandemic wont go for next few years and 2020 was complete lockdown during that initial period hence they allowed. If they keep extending then people will postpone for years and cic gives visa for the benefit of Canada, not for the benefit of candidates.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/international-permanent-residency-holders-running-out-of-time-to-come-to-canada-1.5327768
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

aperi

Mar 3, 2020
If my understanding is right, I can only travel to Canada if my COPR was approved before March 18 2020 Or if I am exempt from certain travel restrictions as stated in the link below. So am I right to assume all the people who did their soft landing and returned using AVR either:

1.) Had their COPR approved prior to March 18 2020
2.) Are exempt from travel restrictions.

Anyone here who does not belong to these categories and has travelled to confirm their COPR ? Replies are highly valued. Thanks

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
If my understanding is right, I can only travel to Canada if my COPR was approved before March 18 2020 Or if I am exempt from certain travel restrictions as stated in the link below. So am I right to assume all the people who did their soft landing and returned using AVR either:

1.) Had their COPR approved prior to March 18 2020
2.) Are exempt from travel restrictions.

Anyone here who does not belong to these categories and has travelled to confirm their COPR ? Replies are highly valued. Thanks

Realistically people are landing but per site, they say they would allow if you move permanently.

Here is the result based on eligibility: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start
You indicated that you are:
  • a foreign national
  • not showing signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19
  • coming from the United States
  • an approved permanent resident not yet in Canada
Based on your answers, you will likely be allowed to enter Canada; however, the final determination will be made by a government official at the port of entry.

You must be coming to Canada to settle permanently.

dreamer131713

Apr 26, 2021
I tried soft landing last week at Peace bridge but was denied. They are allowing in only if you are coming in to live permanently. Unfortunately, I have to do the car export formality to be allowed to drive in. Please let me know if anyone recently drove in to Canada with own US car without car export-import formalities.

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
I tried soft landing last week at Peace bridge but was denied. They are allowing in only if you are coming in to live permanently. Unfortunately, I have to do the car export formality to be allowed to drive in. Please let me know if anyone recently drove in to Canada with own US car without car export-import formalities.
Lol, are you asking if anyone recently committed a crime?

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
Oops! I did not know that it is a crime, I can always come back and do the import-export process later right by adding the car to the GTF list. People do drive with US plates if they are visiting for sometime right.
You can take your vehicle if you are visiting or for temporary purposes, but if you are moving permanently you need to import it. You may face serious consequences later if you dont import.