+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
I think I'm the unluckiest guy on this planet. Have received nothing from IRCC till now sending webforms since June 20. PRV expired 15 may 2020.
There are many ppl like you.Dont worry.. Anyways many of those who recd 3,4 or 7 ptrs haven't been able to get AL still after 2 months .So those mails didn't actually do any good.Infact they were a way to stretch things further.

jjos

Jan 5, 2021
My CoPR expired in May. Raised several web forms and no responses other than the generic 'application is still in process' replies. My spouse had landed in March and is already a PR. Does anyone know if I can apply for a Visitor Visa?

Nit Nit

Jan 5, 2021
Thanks @legalfalcon for replying. My COPR is valid until mid Feb 2021, issued in Nov 2020. Not in essential work, no family in Canada, not from visa-exempt country.

Can you please clarify who needs or can obtain an authorization letter? Is it those with expired COPR who need an extension, or does it include those with valid COPR issued after 18 Mar 2020?

I know this is a big request, and it's ok if you can't. Would you be able to ring IRCC and ask if valid COPR holders can travel without AL, given the new 72-hr covid test mandate? I'm location-blocked from ringing the 1-888-242-2100 number, and they're not replying to emails or webforms.

Interestingly, the questionnaire webpage on travel.gc.ca only popped up recently, after the 72-hr pre-boarding covid test mandate was announced. So I wonder if it's related. That is, if travellers (valid COPR after 18 Mar) are doing COVID test prior to landing, maybe an AL isn't as necessary anymore, since the COVID transmission risk is low. I originally thought AL was for those with expired COPRs, not valid COPRs.

It just doesn't make sense to me that IRCC would let your COPR expire, just for you to apply for extension, wait weeks to months for a 7 point email, then get a new COPR + AL (maybe). So counterproductive, exhausting available manpower and causing unnecessary anxiety.

Thanks heaps in advance. :)
Hello all,

New to forum. So Hiiiii :)

I appear to be in the same situation as @IgboQueenBee. Our (wife and I) CoPR is valid till end of Feb 2021, Issued in Dec 2020 and we do not fall under the current travel-exemptions category. So now we are sitting and waiting for some good news on the travel exemptions. I also went through the form that @IgboQueenBee mentioned and had the same result, saying that I may be able to travel and that final decision is taken at port of entry. There is no mention of taking prior authorization to travel. So do we take the risk and travel? Obviously we would do the covid test and have a quarantine plan. We might even take the vaccine soon. Is that enough? Any advice would be appreciated.

Dimps18

Star Member
Jan 5, 2021
Hi..I have been following very valuable information in this forum and Looking for a response to my query.

COPR issued - 5th November 2020
COPR expiry - 20th January 2021
Web form raised before 23rd December requesting extension and received general response to raise web form when ready to travel.

As per the new process should i only wait for IRCC to comeback to me and not raise any web form even if I'm ready to travel

Reactions: Titanium
Sep 14, 2020
Hello all,

I appear to be in the same situation as @IgboQueenBee. Our (wife and I) CoPR is valid till end of Feb 2021, Issued in Dec 2020 and we do not fall under the current travel-exemptions category. So now we are sitting and waiting for some good news on the travel exemptions. I also went through the form that @IgboQueenBee mentioned and had the same result, saying that I may be able to travel and that final decision is taken at port of entry. There is no mention of taking prior authorization to travel. So do we take the risk and travel? Obviously we would do the covid test and have a quarantine plan. We might even take the vaccine soon. Is that enough? Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi there, I am in the same boat as you, Copr issued in Oct 2020 and will expire in Feb 2021. I am still not sure to travel to not even if the travel restriction lifts with the cases increasing so much in Canada. So frustrated to face all these uncertainties.

Reactions: Titanium

JNP19

Star Member
Oct 13, 2019
Hi there, I am in the same boat as you, Copr issued in Oct 2020 and will expire in Feb 2021. I am still not sure to travel to not even if the travel restriction lifts with the cases increasing so much in Canada. So frustrated to face all these uncertainties.
If you have an AL you are exempt right?Correct me if I am wrong.

thebluetung

Feb 26, 2019
Hi there. Thanks so much for your reply. Please type travel.gc.ca Travel Restrictions in Google and let me know what you think of the questionnaire. I posted a link earlier, but I know a lot of people are cautious with links. The questionnaire results says I may be able to travel (no mention of need for AL). However, other IRCC webpages say I need AL for COPR issued after 18 Mar 2020. It's so confusing.

Interestingly, the questionnaire webpage only popped up recently, after the 72-hr pre-boarding covid test mandate was announced. So I wonder if it's related. That is, if travellers (valid COPR after 18 Mar) are doing COVID test prior to landing, maybe an AL isn't as necessary anymore, since the COVID transmission risk is low. I originally thought AL was for those with expired COPRs, not valid COPRs.

It just doesn't make sense to me that IRCC would let your COPR expire, just for you to apply for extention, wait weeks to months for a 7 point email, then get a new COPR + AL (maybe). So counterproductive, exhausting available manpower and causing unnecessary anxiety. {sigh}
Hi,

You need to read the whole message in the questionnaire result.
It's stated that you may be allowed only if your COPR have been received before noon March 18 2020.

----------------------

You indicated that you are:
  • a foreign national
  • not showing signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19
  • not coming from the United States
  • an approved permanent resident not yet in Canada
Based on your answers, you may be allowed; however, the final determination will be made by a government official at the port of entry.

You must be coming to Canada to settle permanently.

If you’re being sponsored by a family member
Immediate family members who are being sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada are able to come even if they received written notice of approval after March 18, 2020.

If you don’t have a family member sponsoring you
For all other applicants, your written notice of approval for permanent residence must have been received before noon, Eastern Daylight Time on March 18, 2020.

Titanium

Mar 9, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
October 2019
Hi..I have been following very valuable information in this forum and Looking for a response to my query.

COPR issued - 5th November 2020
COPR expiry - 20th January 2021
Web form raised before 23rd December requesting extension and received general response to raise web form when ready to travel.

As per the new process should i only wait for IRCC to comeback to me and not raise any web form even if I'm ready to travel
Hello Dimps
Looks like Many in the same situation.

Would you mind sharing the reason you gave seeking extension?

Answering your question with another another question, based on the general response you received, are we to allow the copr to expire because we are not really the exempt category who can travel now?

Titanium

Mar 9, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
October 2019
Hello all,

Welcome aboard Nit Nit.
All in good time.

whats still not clear is if we can just get up and travel, even with the covid test n quarantine plans in place?

Dimps18

Star Member
Jan 5, 2021
Hello Dimps
Looks like Many in the same situation.

Would you mind sharing the reason you gave seeking extension?

Answering your question with another another question, based on the general response you received, are we to allow the copr to expire because we are not really the exempt category who can travel now?
We are currently employed in the gulf region and our home country is under lockdown and not accepting citizens as well. As i need to travel to my home country to get access to my funds (proof of funds was shown from my home country during the application process) prior to travelling to Canada. I provided a detail explanation letter stating the reason i cannot travel to Canada before 20th Jan even if borders are open.

The response stated that my application will not be refused and contact ircc when I'm ready to travel.