+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Craigcaeiro

Star Member
Mar 25, 2019
Hi guys, has anyone signed up or used the website that they suggested while waiting for COPR extentions?

https://www.planningforcanada.ca/

Also another question to the people who have landed in Canada, how easy was it to book an Air Bnb for quarantine? Were the hosts acceptable to your situation or did many of them decline use of their place for quarantine?

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
So the VO decides if they will actually extend the CoPR and request passport for updated visa or issue a Letter of Authorization? That’s really weird to let the VO decide, it should be the same across the board for everyone, no? Or when they ask if you are able to travel within 60 days, your answer depends on what they will request. How do they decide this? Lol
But that’s a good idea about submitting the necessary information before waiting on them to ask for it. Do you think when I submit the webform I can tell them I plan to travel in December? because it will give us more time to sell things here and get things going in Canada.
I know everyone is doing the best they can during these crazy times, I just wish they would make things more clear cut.
The whole purpose of ETA is that you should be ready to travel in a short time. In reality people need approx. one month to settle things(meeting friends/families, shedding some tears if that happens, resign job, sell things and so on) in home country before moving out. Yes, you can put whatever date you want for your travel but due to non transparency there is no processing time for issuing the ETA.

Since virus situation is not same all across the countries, therefore, VOs are deciding what they want ETA or CoPR re-issuance.

IMO, Do your best and forget the rest ;)

Shahanastar

Oct 25, 2018
Category........
FSW
So the VO decides if they will actually extend the CoPR and request passport for updated visa or issue a Letter of Authorization? That’s really weird to let the VO decide, it should be the same across the board for everyone, no? Or when they ask if you are able to travel within 60 days, your answer depends on what they will request. How do they decide this? Lol
But that’s a good idea about submitting the necessary information before waiting on them to ask for it. Do you think when I submit the webform I can tell them I plan to travel in December? because it will give us more time to sell things here and get things going in Canada.
I know everyone is doing the best they can during these crazy times, I just wish they would make things more clear cut.
Just raise a webform when you're ready to travel and don't break your head on how your case will be handled. Processes are generally same across the board and rest is just mere speculation based on a handful of cases reported here.

Hajra789

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
For those who have recently landed..can you please share in writing the quarantine plan you submitted for travel approval from your VO.

thanks.

mayar-123456789

Star Member
Nov 25, 2019
Hi Guys, I would like to share my experience.
My PPR was early march and CoPR expiry date was first week of September. We were based in Riyadh and Saudi Arabia has commercial flights suspended from March till now. Only special flights are being operative.

We waited patiently in hope of the travel ban being lifted but nothing came up. Therefore, mid-August we decided to get special flights and move over to Canada - since jobs are still being done on remote basis (so it was not a problem).

We took KLM flight (they had requirement to get Covid-test done not more than 72 hours before the flight). Our flight was 24th early morning. We did our tests on 21st night and got results 22nd early morning.

After landing at Canada Airport on 24th August morning:
1. Immigration Officer (1st):
After getting off from plane, we got to the first screening immigration officer. He looked at our passports and KLM own health screening checks. He inquired us the purpose to which we responded that we are landing first time. He asked us if we have the 14 day quarantine plan ready to which we responded that yes we booked furnished apartment for more than 14 days. He asked if other people were living to which we replied that no one else will live with us in the apartment. He asked how we will manage groceries - to which we responded that we will do online. Then he directed us to go inside to complete the first landing documentation requirement.

2. Immigration Officer (2nd):
It was not crowded but officers took time to process each individual cases. Our turn - it was very smooth. The officer asked us for CoPRs and passports. Checked the details and gave us CoPR client copy to us. Asked us for the permanent address to which PR cards will be delivered. Informed us that normally it took 6 weeks before covid for the cards, now it would be longer. She suggested that it would be better to get PR cards and then leave the country, however, if we need to go before we get the PR card, it is not a problem. In case we want to come back and don't have PR card, we will have to get a visa from embassy in our country and we could come easily. Then we asked if we can get our SIN number from the airport. She checked and responded that ppl from SIN offices are not coming to Airport branch but we can do it easily from anywhere in Canada after our 14 day quarantine. Then she stamped our CoPRs and gave us back our passport. Welcomed us to Canada as Permanent Residents and told us that CoPR would act like PR card for anything that we want to do until we get PR cards.

3. Baggage:
By the time we cleared immigration, our baggage were all there and we collected and proceeded to Customs.

4. Customs:
We went through "To Declare" section and gave Goods accompanying and Goods to Follow list to the Custom Officer. Please make sure you have 2 copies of these lists. We only took one and the poor guy had to do the copy for his record himself. He asked for a permanent address here. We gave him the same address as we gave for the PR cards. It was an address of family friend.

After clearing customs we exited the Airport and got to our place via Uber. This is the latest landing experience. If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to help out.
what is Klm flights??
im in riyadh but my copr expaired on 11th april

gjsrow

Aug 26, 2020
I m PR in Canada and my family stuck in India due to COVID-19 and their visa got expire in May 2020 but their CoPR is valid till 2022, how can they get travel document or approval for travelling to Canada. I have already submitted their residing plan through web form to IRCC after landing in Canada. Can any body let me know, what to do now ??

Captain789

May 27, 2018
Hi guys, has anyone signed up or used the website that they suggested while waiting for COPR extentions?

Also another question to the people who have landed in Canada, how easy was it to book an Air Bnb for quarantine? Were the hosts acceptable to your situation or did many of them decline use of their place for quarantine?
You have to keep looking, but there are.

Reactions: Craigcaeiro

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019

I did do a Planning for Canada session. It was pretty good. There was a group session(online) where they just talk about Canada in general and cover some basic questions. Following this there was a separate one on one session where one of the facilitators gets in touch with you and you can give them specific queries. They send these queries to one of the settlement groups in Canada(based on the province you plan on moving to) and someone from there will give you a bunch of links and resources you can use to help you with the initial settlement. For someone who has already done a lot of research online on Canada, these resources may not be very useful but for people who haven't done that, this is a good starting point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Craigcaeiro

SambaBlue

Mar 6, 2020
what is Klm flights??
im in riyadh but my copr expaired on 11th april
KLM is dutch airline. It is the name of the airline. Special flights of KLM are operative. There were no flights from Riyadh to Toronto but there were flights from Damam. So we went to Damam by road and took flight from there.

I don't actually know details on expired CoPR. Ours was still valid when we travelled.

Reactions: mayar-123456789

Copernicus

Mar 22, 2020

I did sign up for the session. They generally have a generic group session first, post which there is a one on one session. Here they will assess how prepared you are for Canada (employment, housing, education, etc) and will guide you to the settlement agency based on which Province you decide to land. Most of it, is already available on the interenet, but no harm listening to it, I feel. Its not a bad session, especially since in the generic session, you do get an opportunity to network with people.

james2016

Feb 13, 2016
KLM is dutch airline. It is the name of the airline. Special flights of KLM are operative. There were no flights from Riyadh to Toronto but there were flights from Damam. So we went to Damam by road and took flight from there.

I don't actually know details on expired CoPR. Ours was still valid when we travelled.
Hi Samba,
May i know if all national can get the KLM special flight?Im also in Saudi Arabia and Im planning to do like yours.I'm just waiting for my COPR to be extended.

billufarmer

Sep 3, 2019
Hi Guys, I would like to share my experience.
My PPR was early march and CoPR expiry date was first week of September. We were based in Riyadh and Saudi Arabia has commercial flights suspended from March till now. Only special flights are being operative.

We waited patiently in hope of the travel ban being lifted but nothing came up. Therefore, mid-August we decided to get special flights and move over to Canada - since jobs are still being done on remote basis (so it was not a problem).

We took KLM flight (they had requirement to get Covid-test done not more than 72 hours before the flight). Our flight was 24th early morning. We did our tests on 21st night and got results 22nd early morning.

After landing at Canada Airport on 24th August morning:
1. Immigration Officer (1st):
After getting off from plane, we got to the first screening immigration officer. He looked at our passports and KLM own health screening checks. He inquired us the purpose to which we responded that we are landing first time. He asked us if we have the 14 day quarantine plan ready to which we responded that yes we booked furnished apartment for more than 14 days. He asked if other people were living to which we replied that no one else will live with us in the apartment. He asked how we will manage groceries - to which we responded that we will do online. Then he directed us to go inside to complete the first landing documentation requirement.

2. Immigration Officer (2nd):
It was not crowded but officers took time to process each individual cases. Our turn - it was very smooth. The officer asked us for CoPRs and passports. Checked the details and gave us CoPR client copy to us. Asked us for the permanent address to which PR cards will be delivered. Informed us that normally it took 6 weeks before covid for the cards, now it would be longer. She suggested that it would be better to get PR cards and then leave the country, however, if we need to go before we get the PR card, it is not a problem. In case we want to come back and don't have PR card, we will have to get a visa from embassy in our country and we could come easily. Then we asked if we can get our SIN number from the airport. She checked and responded that ppl from SIN offices are not coming to Airport branch but we can do it easily from anywhere in Canada after our 14 day quarantine. Then she stamped our CoPRs and gave us back our passport. Welcomed us to Canada as Permanent Residents and told us that CoPR would act like PR card for anything that we want to do until we get PR cards.

3. Baggage:
By the time we cleared immigration, our baggage were all there and we collected and proceeded to Customs.

4. Customs:
We went through "To Declare" section and gave Goods accompanying and Goods to Follow list to the Custom Officer. Please make sure you have 2 copies of these lists. We only took one and the poor guy had to do the copy for his record himself. He asked for a permanent address here. We gave him the same address as we gave for the PR cards. It was an address of family friend.

After clearing customs we exited the Airport and got to our place via Uber. This is the latest landing experience. If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to help out.
What is supposed to be listed in the Goods to Follow? As in what you'll be shipping later on or what you've already taken with you?