+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Hajra789

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
I believe the time it takes to get extension depends on the country you're from. I see people in this forum stressing for no reason. Have some faith, you'll get your extension. If i got it, I'm pretty confident every one of you will get it.
I had no job offer, didn't send proof of funds, no resignation letter, all i sent was a quarantine plan and mentioned that i would like to settle in Canada. Thats all.
Did you contact your VO directly or fill out a webform on IRCC??? how long did it take you to get the ETA?

Kiran9999

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
I believe the time it takes to get extension depends on the country you're from. I see people in this forum stressing for no reason. Have some faith, you'll get your extension. If i got it, I'm pretty confident every one of you will get it.
I had no job offer, didn't send proof of funds, no resignation letter, all i sent was a quarantine plan and mentioned that i would like to settle in Canada. Thats all.
Hi,

if you don't mind my asking, what is your NOC?

Ukraine2020

Apr 1, 2020
Hello everyone.
I'm in a bit of a pickle here. Would appreciate any sort of help in this regard.
So my COPR expired on 19 April 2020. Couldn't travel because all flights got cancelled. Raised a web form around 2 months back stating my "ability to travel" long story short, I got a Letter of Authorization - IM56881017EF via email. The same letter that a lot of other people got in this group. Anyway, i booked a flight through Emirates. I waited for almost an hour for them to confirm whether I'm allowed to board the flight with this letter. After an hour they refused to let me board. They said they've talked to the Canadian immigration office and they require a visa sticker on passport. They won't accept this letter. I showed them my expired COPR and VISA, Same reply.
My VO is London. I'm from Pakistan.
Any suggestions?
Please advise when did you receive the Letter of Authorization. Also, would much appreciate if you could share the content!

Pakora

Aug 23, 2020
Did you contact your VO directly or fill out a webform on IRCC??? how long did it take you to get the ETA?
I sent a webform to IRCC around two months back stating my ability to travel. A few days later my application was re-opened and medical date updated. I was also told by IRCC to inform my VO about my ability to travel. So everything after that, i sent to both my VO and IRCC. I got my Letter of Authorization on 22 Aug 2020.

Pakora

Aug 23, 2020
Please advise when did you receive the Letter of Authorization. Also, would much appreciate if you could share the content!
I got it on 22 Aug 2020.

You must carry a copy of this letter along with your passport as proof of your authorization to travel to Canada.

On March 18, 2020, the Government of Canada announced travel restrictions to Canada to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect the health and safety of Canadians.

Your application for permanent residence (PR) was approved on 2019/10/25 and you were issued a confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) document. If you are from a country that requires a visa to travel to Canada, you were also issued a PR visa counterfoil in your passport.

As your application for permanent residence was approved on or before March 18, 2020, you are exempt from the travel restrictions.

As your CoPR and PR visa expired on 2020/04/19, we have extended their validity until 2020/10/19.

At this time, we are not printing and mailing new CoPRs or PR visa counterfoils. For your travel to Canada, you will need to:

· bring this letter, along with your original CoPR and PR visa

· show it to the airline as proof that you are exempt from the travel restriction and that the validity of your expired CoPR and PR visa have in fact been extended.

· use this letter before 2020/10/19

When arranging your travel to Canada, we advise that you book a direct flight to Canada, if possible. If not, we strongly advise that you do not book a flight with more than one international transit stop, since you may encounter issues with local authorities upon transiting through other countries while on route to Canada. Should you book a flight with a stop or layover, it is important to confirm that you have the necessary documentation to transit through that country. This could include a transit visa, for example.

Please note that your passport must also be valid to travel to Canada and you will need to show this letter upon arrival in Canada to the Canada Border Services Agency.

If you are unable to travel before the expiration date of this letter on 2020/10/19, IRCC will leave your PR application open and you will have to go through this CoPR and PRV re-issuance process again when you are able to travel to Canada.

You must follow the public health measures below if you plan to travel to Canada:

· If you travel by air, you will need to pass a health check before you are allowed to board your flight and wear a non-medical mask or face covering during travel (including to the place where you’ll quarantine). Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 won’t be allowed to travel to Canada. If you know you are sick, delay your travel plans until you are feeling well.

· Once you enter Canada, you must quarantine (self-isolate) for 14 days and monitor yourself for symptoms. You must have a plan for how you will isolate for 14 days when you get to Canada and how you will get medical care if you become sick.

· While in isolation, you will not be able to leave where you are staying for any reason. If you do not have a plan for isolation, including how you will buy groceries and access other essential services, please wait to travel until you have made one. The Government of Canada will not cover the cost for accommodation once you are in the country.

· Your compliance with this order is subject to monitoring, verification and enforcement. Those in violation may face detention in a quarantine facility as well as fines and/or imprisonment.

To find out more on public health measures for travellers to Canada and the quarantine requirements, visit:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#health

and

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/2019-novel-coronavirus-information-sheet.html

Sincerely,

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

JumboJuice

Oct 30, 2019
Hi guys,

I've received my CoPR before March 18, 2020 and it'll expire in Nov 2020, do I need to settle in Canada permanently once I landed?

Can I validate my CoPR and leave the country after the 14 days quarantine?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Hajra789

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
I sent a webform to IRCC around two months back stating my ability to travel. A few days later my application was re-opened and medical date updated. I was also told by IRCC to inform my VO about my ability to travel. So everything after that, i sent to both my VO and IRCC. I got my Letter of Authorization on 22 Aug 2020.
How did u contact your VO directly?? Fill out a webform for London VO specifically? Or is there a particular email address?

krissanu

Jul 28, 2019
Hi guys,

I've received my CoPR before March 18, 2020 and it'll expire in Nov 2020, do I need to settle in Canada permanently once I landed?

Can I validate my CoPR and leave the country after the 14 days quarantine?

Thank you!
Currently, short duration stays are not allowed as per travel exemption guidelines. - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

To meet the travel restriction exemptions, you must also:
  • be coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary)

However, no one can stop you if you decide to leave the country after quarantine. It might attract unwanted scrutinies later on.

rockmyway

Jan 7, 2018
A friend found this update on Facebook...

Family of 3 people (couple + 20 month old baby), visa before March 18, expires July 27th.

1st webform sent on August 03th (notice expiration)
2th webform on August 21th for the Ready to travel (proof of funds + resignation letter + plane tickets)

Call received yesterday from the Canadian embassy in Algiers for passport drop + photos

Drop off this morning, I'll give you a return once passports are recovered.

mayar-123456789

Star Member
Nov 25, 2019
I got it on 22 Aug 2020.

You must carry a copy of this letter along with your passport as proof of your authorization to travel to Canada.

On March 18, 2020, the Government of Canada announced travel restrictions to Canada to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect the health and safety of Canadians.

Your application for permanent residence (PR) was approved on 2019/10/25 and you were issued a confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) document. If you are from a country that requires a visa to travel to Canada, you were also issued a PR visa counterfoil in your passport.

As your application for permanent residence was approved on or before March 18, 2020, you are exempt from the travel restrictions.

As your CoPR and PR visa expired on 2020/04/19, we have extended their validity until 2020/10/19.

At this time, we are not printing and mailing new CoPRs or PR visa counterfoils. For your travel to Canada, you will need to:

· bring this letter, along with your original CoPR and PR visa

· show it to the airline as proof that you are exempt from the travel restriction and that the validity of your expired CoPR and PR visa have in fact been extended.

· use this letter before 2020/10/19

When arranging your travel to Canada, we advise that you book a direct flight to Canada, if possible. If not, we strongly advise that you do not book a flight with more than one international transit stop, since you may encounter issues with local authorities upon transiting through other countries while on route to Canada. Should you book a flight with a stop or layover, it is important to confirm that you have the necessary documentation to transit through that country. This could include a transit visa, for example.

Please note that your passport must also be valid to travel to Canada and you will need to show this letter upon arrival in Canada to the Canada Border Services Agency.

If you are unable to travel before the expiration date of this letter on 2020/10/19, IRCC will leave your PR application open and you will have to go through this CoPR and PRV re-issuance process again when you are able to travel to Canada.

You must follow the public health measures below if you plan to travel to Canada:

· If you travel by air, you will need to pass a health check before you are allowed to board your flight and wear a non-medical mask or face covering during travel (including to the place where you’ll quarantine). Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 won’t be allowed to travel to Canada. If you know you are sick, delay your travel plans until you are feeling well.

· Once you enter Canada, you must quarantine (self-isolate) for 14 days and monitor yourself for symptoms. You must have a plan for how you will isolate for 14 days when you get to Canada and how you will get medical care if you become sick.

· While in isolation, you will not be able to leave where you are staying for any reason. If you do not have a plan for isolation, including how you will buy groceries and access other essential services, please wait to travel until you have made one. The Government of Canada will not cover the cost for accommodation once you are in the country.

· Your compliance with this order is subject to monitoring, verification and enforcement. Those in violation may face detention in a quarantine facility as well as fines and/or imprisonment.

To find out more on public health measures for travellers to Canada and the quarantine requirements, visit:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#health

and

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/2019-novel-coronavirus-information-sheet.html

Sincerely,

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
do we need to restamp the visa??
or only the eta? and thats it

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Yes, makes sense! You must know that based on this forum reporting numerous Visa Offices have been functional and processing eTAs etc.

E.g. as reported on this forum includes: Vienna, France, Hong Kong, Pakistan, Philippines, USA, South Africa, (either Kazakhistan or Krygystan can't remember).

But only 1 from India.
And that is baffling. What was different - what caused the special treatment. Atleast two dozen applicants here have provided very detailed evidence of permanent settlement, PoF etc. Unless, this person was in essential services sector or something special as such!

Not Justified or Communicated:
I am beginning to think our good old Indian Consulate brethren have earned some critique! Immigrants from India are high in numbers, implying this is a larger source of local employment in India. Likely those jobs have remained well secured during COVID. And if so many other sectors are functioning in India, other consulates are functioning in other countries, there should be little reason not to process eTAs/CoPRs extensions.

Agents from India are responding to our webforms - implies they are working even if remotely. They are able to access file information remotely - so what is preventing eTAs? Based on guidance / instructions from the IRCC (in my case the CPO was Mississauga Ontario) the eTA can be locally generated by NDVO. How is that too unreasonable?

Unless, as many have opined - there are other commercial, financial or political factors influencing this dragging of heels, unlear, non-transparency of policy and next steps. COVID can no longer be the reason of not communicating how NDVO plans to approach CoPR extensions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

Partho

Mar 23, 2019
Hey all,

we submitted a “ready to travel” webform and received reply that “your information has been transferred to your visa office..”

What exactly does this mean? Do we need to contact our VO and ask for travel authorization letter? Or do we just wait and see if they will update themselves?? We r planning on traveling in October. Not sure how to proceed now. Our online status check just says “decision made” and hasn’t been updated since February. Our copr expired in may.
when did you raise the webform?