+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

WantToImmigrate

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2019
From my point of view it's not about Canada banning Indian but the extensions. How long will it take for extensions to be processed by NDVO ?? We have many people with expired COPR and keeping in mind that NDVO hasn't even opened it might take 2-3 months or more for NDVO to process extension. NDVO will have its hands full with students visa, normal applications and also our extension.

You are right that jobs scene in Canada is bleak currently but atleast we can find some job or other and once situation starts recovering people landed now will get jobs. After October or November there will be again a lot of rush of people and situations might get out of hand.

It's like rock and hard place scenario.
So you too agree that it is not a question of "if" but a question of "when" it would be extended.. right?

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Know any suggestions for cheap hotels?
If you do not have symptoms then you can share the house but not room and bathroom and you need a concrete plan for food and groceries. You just need to avoid someone who is above 65 years old or someone who has medical conditions in your stay. Check quarantine guidelines before over thinking too much. If a person has symptoms then quarantine plans are too strict.

Reactions: SithLord

Mutha123

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Friends,
One more question :

Is it allowed to work in India after becoming PR? Since the job market in Canada is not rosy , I thought of activating PR, come back, take a new job and work in India until everthing becomes OK. But not aware if any legal attachment to it. Please guide.

Thanks

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Friends,
One more question :

Is it allowed to work in India after becoming PR? Since the job market in Canada is not rosy , I thought of activating PR, come back, take a new job and work in India until everthing becomes OK. But not aware if any legal attachment to it. Please guide.

Thanks
Sure you can work in India, buy property, do business etc etc. Not only in India but in any other additional countries where you wish to obtain residency or work permit - that does not get impacted by your Canadian PR. Not in Canada neither in that other country.

When it comes to filing income taxes, enjoying Canadian medical or other benefits that a Permanent Resident has - some differences will exist only after 90 days or 180 days etc depending on what we are talking about - which Province, what Service etc. Once you return, your residency rights resume. Some differences amongst Provinces apply (e.g. in Ontario your Medicals kick in ONLY after 90 days. In BC it is immediate.

There are neither legal issues, nor practical hurdles. You continue to remain an Indian Citizen who continues to enjoy all rights. Other country residencies, do not in any way impact your Indian Citizen abilities or rights.

Reactions: YouGotMeHere

Mutha123

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Sure you can work in India, buy property, do business etc etc. Not only in India but in any other additional countries where you wish to obtain residency or work permit - that does not get impacted by your Canadian PR. Not in Canada neither in that other country.

When it comes to filing income taxes, enjoying Canadian medical or other benefits that a Permanent Resident has - some differences will exist only after 90 days or 180 days etc depending on what we are talking about - which Province, what Service etc. Once you return, your residency rights resume. Some differences amongst Provinces apply (e.g. in Ontario your Medicals kick in ONLY after 90 days. In BC it is immediate.

There are neither legal issues, nor practical hurdles. You continue to remain an Indian Citizen who continues to enjoy all rights. Other country residencies, do not in any way impact your Indian Citizen abilities or rights.
Thanks a lot for your candid reply.

Reactions: hinavin

chukeedon1

Jun 26, 2019
Thanks a lot friend.
I doubt so. I did my soft landing from the UK on the 23rd of June. I am to travel back in two weeks. All I was asked was what address I was to use as quarantine, if it is my permanent address and whether people lived there. I provided an address and notified it to be my permanent address. I also stated that my relatives did live at same place but that I will be at a separate room. They asked if someone will be able to get me basic groceries and all and I said yes. That was all. Its not that complicated.

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
Soft landing was never in the "official" option of IRCC. It's something applicants do because they aren't ready yet to settle. It's not prohibited but it's not also explicitly allowed ( there is no mention of it in the official site). So it's unlikely an agent will give definitive answer when asked about it.

I did soft landing before Covid and when I investigate about it, most people here advised not to even mention you're soft landing to the officers.

So I think if you decide to do it, you will have to decide on your own.
Soft landing was never in the "official" option of IRCC. It's something applicants do because they aren't ready yet to settle. It's not prohibited but it's not also explicitly allowed ( there is no mention of it in the official site). So it's unlikely an agent will give definitive answer when asked about it.

I did soft landing before Covid and when I investigate about it, most people here advised not to even mention you're soft landing to the officers.

So I think if you decide to do it, you will have to decide on your own.
Well IRCC explicitely said it's prohibited at this time in its tweets of July 3. Hence the predicament. Even if you don't mention it, but the custom agent directly asks you about it, you have to disclose it. Will that result in your being turn down and sent back home? Technically, it could.

Here the tweets I'm referring to:

"3/4 Please note that only those ready to live and settle in Canada and able to quarantine for 14 days immediately upon arrival will be allowed to travel to the country."

"4/4 Travel for temporary stay, including strictly to finalize an application, will not be permitted at this time."

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Hi friends,

In my view, hard or soft landing is a term used by us and it is not in IRCC dictionary. As long as we meet the protocol, we can travel and return as and when needed after completing quarantine period. (Of course, you need PR card / PRTD to enter Canada next time by airport).

To my little knowledge, I have nowhere seen a statement from IRCC saying that people who enter Canada should not leave immediately (after quarantine). Actually, nobody can stop you leave after quarantine for personal reasons and as a PR you have the rights to leave any time if flights are available. However, please read the following question and answer, which would give more clarity on this topic:

I am inside Canada. Can I still travel to the border and flagpole to activate my status?

No. IRCC has issued an official statement in this regard.
“They [temporary residents inside Canada] should not travel to a port of entry (POE) to apply directly to a border services officer. Travelling to a POE from inside Canada for the purpose of getting immigration services is not considered essential travel, and they will not receive these services.”
(Source: IRCC), https://moving2canada.com/travel-to-canada-coronavirus/

If you already inside Canada and just want to activate your PR status then only it is non essential.

Please correct me if I am wrong or if you have different views with back up from IRCC.

Thanks
***Long Post Alert***
Just so we can decide with eyes open, rather than wishful thinking!
(and most likely my take below is incorrect...)

First - One has all the legal rights to leave the country at will, at any time. No questions. Do we want to be all boastful about it at the POE? Do we want to challenge the border officer? Or... that is the point of my comments below.

Not a lawyer and I think your reference here is perhaps to the letter of the rule. A border officer or immigration authorities may or may not be fully satisfied. And if one is unhappy, surely you can appeal the decision etc.

Will you want to do that? Risk it? Will one be able to?..those are the considerations we must mull over deeply, before even suggesting such a course of soft landing, in these times where Canada (like every country) is spending billions of dollars to minimize COVID 19.

Coming back to the letter or rule noticed the specific section of current responses to CoPR extension request

@CitImmCanada (IRCC)
1/4 Hi. We are currently reviewing requests from clients who are out of the country and have received a valid CoPR or who have an expired CoPR who are now ready to move to Canada permanently. We expect that next steps will be provided in the next few weeks.
2/4 Please wait to receive confirmation from IRCC that your CoPR has been extended and that you are now able to travel with documents the department will identify.

3/4 Please note that only those ready to live and settle in Canada and able to quarantine for 14 days immediately upon arrival will be allowed to travel to the country.

4/4 Travel for temporary stay, including strictly to finalize an application, will not be permitted at this time.

And then there is the rule book - I agree the examples below do not include CoPR confirmation. Is CoPR driven landing optional at this time? Could we seek extension of CoPR? Has Canada offered not to penalise for not traveling at this time (as of today 7 July 2020)?:)

As per the travel exemptions page of the IRCC's website, essential travel is defined as "travel for reasons that are non-discretionary and non-optional. The emergency orders under the Quarantine Act do not allow people to travel to Canada for optional or discretionary reasons, such as for tourism, recreation or entertainment."

So yes you are correct, there is interpretation and subjective conclusion, which remains in the eyes of the beholder! :) You and I in our vested interest would like to read the below as "My landing and confirmation of PR is essential". Let us remember the Officer at the border has the same subjective space to conclude if we a traveler is only landing and intends to return back after the temporary 14d quarantine - while the CoPR could have been extended, Canadian Govt has repeatedly written in thousands of letters that your application will not be denied due to your inability to travel - then it is NON-Essential.

Personally I truly dearly wish, the officer sees it differently, but if not
a) can't see a fault with that officer's decision
b) even if I did - what are my recourses? Appeal to IRCC? From where - once I am back in home country? Or sue them from overseas?

Well all of those options are fairly given by one of the FAIREST countries in the world - Canada. So yes - you could do that.

Equally some might decide to be safe, understand the spirit of the rule, comprehend why CBSA has asked you not even to flagpole.

Where even flagpoling is deemed risky and discouraged
  • these are people living in Canada, safer that India or many other countries,
  • with far better medical facilities).
  • And still - CBSA is trying to protect, minimise and serve the larger greater good!
So .. the decision and beliefs are entirely our own. But we Canadians like to be respectful - no wonder we say sorry even when someone else has erred). :)

Wish every single person here the very best of wise, decision making!
(and if you read this far - you are a brave one, thank you!)

Last edited:

icanh

Oct 1, 2019
Just want to share my landing experience for anyone who is thinking to land during this time. My COPR got approved in Jan and it was supposed to expire on July 15. I flew in from Hong Kong via Cathay Pacific yesterday. It took an hour for me to check-in since they had to verify my details with the Canadian Embassy and because my visa was in an old passport (I renewed my passport in Feb but didn't update IRCC). The flight was quite empty with about 30-35 passengers max for the entire plane, so social distancing was possible. The landing process at Vancouver International Airport was very fast and straightforward, I wasn't even asked about my quarantine plan. The only blip is that today I noticed that my COPR wasn't signed by the immigration officer. I called up CBSA and I have to go back to the airport after my quarantine to get it signed.

Mutha123

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
***Long Post Alert***
Just so we can decide with eyes open, rather than wishful thinking!
(and most likely my take below is incorrect...)

First - One has all the legal rights to leave the country at will, at any time. No questions. Do we want to be all boastful about it at the POE? Do we want to challenge the border officer? Or... that is the point of my comments below.

Not a lawyer and I think your reference here is perhaps to the letter of the rule. A border officer or immigration authorities may or may not be fully satisfied. And if one is unhappy, surely you can appeal the decision etc.

Will you want to do that? Risk it? Will one be able to?..those are the considerations we must mull over deeply, before even suggesting such a course of soft landing, in these times where Canada (like every country) is spending billions of dollars to minimize COVID 19.

Coming back to the letter or rule noticed the specific section of current responses to CoPR extension request

@CitImmCanada (IRCC)
1/4 Hi. We are currently reviewing requests from clients who are out of the country and have received a valid CoPR or who have an expired CoPR who are now ready to move to Canada permanently. We expect that next steps will be provided in the next few weeks.
2/4 Please wait to receive confirmation from IRCC that your CoPR has been extended and that you are now able to travel with documents the department will identify.

3/4 Please note that only those ready to live and settle in Canada and able to quarantine for 14 days immediately upon arrival will be allowed to travel to the country.

4/4 Travel for temporary stay, including strictly to finalize an application, will not be permitted at this time.

And then there is the rule book - I agree the examples below do not include CoPR confirmation. Is CoPR driven landing optional at this time? Could we seek extension of CoPR? Has Canada offered not to penalise for not traveling at this time (as of today 7 July 2020)?:)

As per the travel exemptions page of the IRCC's website, essential travel is defined as "travel for reasons that are non-discretionary and non-optional. The emergency orders under the Quarantine Act do not allow people to travel to Canada for optional or discretionary reasons, such as for tourism, recreation or entertainment."

So yes you are correct, there is interpretation and subjective conclusion, which remains in the eyes of the beholder! :) You and I in our vested interest would like to read the below as "My landing and confirmation of PR is essential". Let us remember the Officer at the border has the same subjective space to conclude if we a traveler is only landing and intends to return back after the temporary 14d quarantine - while the CoPR could have been extended, Canadian Govt has repeatedly written in thousands of letters that your application will not be denied due to your inability to travel - then it is NON-Essential.

Personally I truly dearly wish, the officer sees it differently, but if not
a) can't see a fault with that officer's decision
b) even if I did - what are my recourses? Appeal to IRCC? From where - once I am back in home country? Or sue them from overseas?

Well all of those options are fairly given by one of the FAIREST countries in the world - Canada. So yes - you could do that.

Equally some might decide to be safe, understand the spirit of the rule, comprehend why CBSA has asked you not even to flagpole.

Where even flagpoling is deemed risky and discouraged
  • these are people living in Canada, safer that India or many other countries,
  • with far better medical facilities).
  • And still - CBSA is trying to protect, minimise and serve the larger greater good!
So .. the decision and beliefs are entirely our own. But we Canadians like to be respectful - no wonder we say sorry even when someone else has erred). :)

Wish every single person here the very best of wise, decision making!
(and if you read this far - you are a brave one, thank you!)
I respect your views and thanks for sharing a different dimension to this matter.

Reactions: hinavin