+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

BS85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2020
Some people were asked to retake medicals before their ppr was issued. But now its possible people can be asymptomatic and they are not aware. hence everyone is asked to re-do medicals
Medical does not include Covid 19 test !!! So whats the use, unle
From my point of view it's not about Canada banning Indian but the extensions. How long will it take for extensions to be processed by NDVO ?? We have many people with expired COPR and keeping in mind that NDVO hasn't even opened it might take 2-3 months or more for NDVO to process extension. NDVO will have its hands full with students visa, normal applications and also our extension.

You are right that jobs scene in Canada is bleak currently but atleast we can find some job or other and once situation starts recovering people landed now will get jobs. After October or November there will be again a lot of rush of people and situations might get out of hand.

It's like rock and hard place scenario.
I think it should not take much time , because in terms of priority expired COPR extension should come first and , i don't think they will be asking for passport for stamping may be they will go with e-visas using the old stamped COPR as reference (going by the principle of work from home and distancing).

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Hi pkhare, thanks for your response. Are you saying there are no consequences for doing a softlanding with the 14 day quarantine?
The footnote you are referring to is the copy paste of my previous email. From my perspective one could argue that the CoPR expiry date is non-discretionary and non-optional, so the softlanding would be essential travel. But this is contradicted by the IRCSS tweets of July 3 I shared earlier today.
As far as I know 2-3 people have successfully done soft landing those were COPR holder's from US so situation might me different for them. Regarding consequences I don't know what IRCC or CBSA might do if they found out.

Yes under normal circumstances COPR expiry date would be non-discretionary and non-optional but under current scenario it can be said to be optional since IRCC has said they would give extension to those who can't travel or unwilling to.

The points 3 and 4 mentioned in your previous message exactly reiterate that soft landing is not permitted under current rules and regulations.

turbomau5

Apr 23, 2020
Dear Community please help...

My spouse (Secondary applicant) is in US and I am (Primary applicant) currently stuck in India since march. My COPR expires on July 24. Clearly I wont be able to make it before the deadline but my spouse who is in US can probably make it into Canada. Now, ideally Primary applicant should be the first one to land but have you heard or know of any exceptions where the secondary applicant has or was allowed to land first to activate PR.?

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
Guys,

I just spent 2 hours on the phone with CBSA who then forwarded me to IRCC.

One CBSA agent told my friend softlandings were no big deal.

I called them back to double-check and the agent I spoke to categorically stated that softlandings were not permitted at this time. She then said "why don't you raise an extension request". I said that the guidelines of IRCC were contradictory and I don't believe there are any guarantees that the extension would be granted. She forwarded me to IRCC.

After having navigated for 1 hour in their endless automated voice menus I was finally put in touch with an IRCC agent who checked my Express Entry profile. I told him about my situation and that my CoPR expires in 1 month and how I'm anxious because I'm told I can't do a soft landing but at the same time I'm not ready to travel because... you know... COVID-19 hit us in the middle of the CoPR validity period.

He was not reassuring AT ALL. At all times he refused to give an opinion or say that it was OK and I just had to ask for an extension. He said I had to send a webform explaining my situation and that extensions were reviewed on a case by case basis by an immigration agent. He sent an internal email to the Ottawa office asking them to let me know ASAP if I could obtain an extension and he said I should hear from them by email but in the meantime I have to raise a webform and explain my situation.

Honestly guys it was the worst call I could imagine. The guy seemed to know nothing about the situation and the extensions. He just pretty much said "ask for an extension and pray".

Had I known this I would have never called and would have done my softlanding as initially planned.

Reactions: Uncle_Iroh

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
Hello, it was M1 and I have had other medical exams before - no issues. May be they saw something, but they should have told me, right?
To request fresh medical exams was standard protocol for extending medical validity of an application during pre-covid times. They would request re-medicals if a case was being processed for longer than 11-12 months. Your VO is probably very conservative. I highly doubt it has anything to do with your previous test results.

Mutha123

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Hi all,

Will it be acceptable to book a private room in airbnb with common kitchen? Sometimes we may need to see the other person in common areas and I wonder whether it is OK as per quarantine protocol. The other option is booking a hotel and food supply delivered outside the room from hotel restaurant. Kindly advise which one is a safe bet.

Thanks for your time.

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Hi all,

Will it be acceptable to book a private room in airbnb with common kitchen? Sometimes we may need to see the other person in common areas and I wonder whether it is OK as per quarantine protocol. The other option is booking a hotel and food supply delivered outside the room from hotel restaurant. Kindly advise which one is a safe bet.

Thanks for your time.
Book a hotel. You can't share your living quarters with anyone during quarantine period. During your quarantine you maybe visited by either CBSA agents or local Cops to make sure you are following the protocol if found in violation of rules you will land in lot of trouble hence Book a hotel.

Reactions: SithLord

Mutha123

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Hi technically speaking you.wont be denied entry to Canada. However soft-landing still falls under non-essential travel.

Look at the footnote in this link
www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html
Hi friends,

In my view, hard or soft landing is a term used by us and it is not in IRCC dictionary. As long as we meet the protocol, we can travel and return as and when needed after completing quarantine period. (Of course, you need PR card / PRTD to enter Canada next time by airport).

To my little knowledge, I have nowhere seen a statement from IRCC saying that people who enter Canada should not leave immediately (after quarantine). Actually, nobody can stop you leave after quarantine for personal reasons and as a PR you have the rights to leave any time if flights are available. However, please read the following question and answer, which would give more clarity on this topic:

I am inside Canada. Can I still travel to the border and flagpole to activate my status?

No. IRCC has issued an official statement in this regard.
“They [temporary residents inside Canada] should not travel to a port of entry (POE) to apply directly to a border services officer. Travelling to a POE from inside Canada for the purpose of getting immigration services is not considered essential travel, and they will not receive these services.”
(Source: IRCC), https://moving2canada.com/travel-to-canada-coronavirus/

If you already inside Canada and just want to activate your PR status then only it is non essential.

Please correct me if I am wrong or if you have different views with back up from IRCC.

Thanks

Reactions: dashing_warrior

Mutha123

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Book a hotel. You can't share your living quarters with anyone during quarantine period. During your quarantine you maybe visited by either CBSA agents or local Cops to make sure you are following the protocol if found in violation of rules you will land in lot of trouble hence Book a hotel.
Thanks a lot friend.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Know any suggestions for cheap hotels?

b.namit87

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
This is believe is because Qatar Airways flights were scheduled in agreement with Delhi High commission in India hence they must have recieved instructions from them. Whereas Lufthansa and KLM flight were scheduled after DGCA approval hence the discrepancy.
When I looked at Air India in June, there were still flights to Canada, despite being pricey. This month, I cant see even a single ticket to Toronto. All are listed as Sold Out or No Flights. How can all of them get booked so soon? I have no idea

hijabman

Jul 7, 2020
This is incorrect.
"
You may use shared spaces in your place of quarantine provided you minimize contact with those who did not travel with you.
"
via https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/phac-aspc/documents/services/publications/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/covid-19-travellers-without-symptoms-returning-canada/covid-19-travellers-without-symptoms-returning-canada-eng.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2G0wi5FkTunr8uF5Wwphr3aKrRHYugeQ6nC-69YY3XOJQ0p9wfqTTqUWs

markmw

Feb 3, 2019
Guys,

I just spent 2 hours on the phone with CBSA who then forwarded me to IRCC.

One CBSA agent told my friend softlandings were no big deal.

I called them back to double-check and the agent I spoke to categorically stated that softlandings were not permitted at this time. She then said "why don't you raise an extension request". I said that the guidelines of IRCC were contradictory and I don't believe there are any guarantees that the extension would be granted. She forwarded me to IRCC.

After having navigated for 1 hour in their endless automated voice menus I was finally put in touch with an IRCC agent who checked my Express Entry profile. I told him about my situation and that my CoPR expires in 1 month and how I'm anxious because I'm told I can't do a soft landing but at the same time I'm not ready to travel because... you know... COVID-19 hit us in the middle of the CoPR validity period.

He was not reassuring AT ALL. At all times he refused to give an opinion or say that it was OK and I just had to ask for an extension. He said I had to send a webform explaining my situation and that extensions were reviewed on a case by case basis by an immigration agent. He sent an internal email to the Ottawa office asking them to let me know ASAP if I could obtain an extension and he said I should hear from them by email but in the meantime I have to raise a webform and explain my situation.

Honestly guys it was the worst call I could imagine. The guy seemed to know nothing about the situation and the extensions. He just pretty much said "ask for an extension and pray".

Had I known this I would have never called and would have done my softlanding as initially planned.
Soft landing was never in the "official" option of IRCC. It's something applicants do because they aren't ready yet to settle. It's not prohibited but it's not also explicitly allowed ( there is no mention of it in the official site). So it's unlikely an agent will give definitive answer when asked about it.

I did soft landing before Covid and when I investigate about it, most people here advised not to even mention you're soft landing to the officers.

So I think if you decide to do it, you will have to decide on your own.