+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

rt0308

Star Member
Mar 27, 2020
Hello Everyone,

My COPR is expiring on 21st July,2020.Since there is no confirmation from the IRCC about the extension so far, there is no surety when would we be able to land in Canada. I belong to IT field which is considered a regulated occupation in Canada, and requires an ISP certification. So I obtained the certification when I was applying for the ITA. Now at this point in time , the CIPS is again asking me to get my membership renewed, which costs around CAD 350.So my question is, should this certification be renewed now? Will this certificate serve any purpose in Job search? If I do not get it renewed, will there be any impact on my COPR?

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
Hello Everyone,

My COPR is expiring on 21st July,2020.Since there is no confirmation from the IRCC about the extension so far, there is no surety when would we be able to land in Canada. I belong to IT field which is considered a regulated occupation in Canada, and requires an ISP certification. So I obtained the certification when I was applying for the ITA. Now at this point in time , the CIPS is again asking me to get my membership renewed, which costs around CAD 350.So my question is, should this certification be renewed now? Will this certificate serve any purpose in Job search? If I do not get it renewed, will there be any impact on my COPR?
This is the first time I am reading about the IT field being regulated. I haven't heard or read about this before and I am from the IT field myself(NOC 2174). My application was approved a few months back without having any such certification. Is this a new requirement or a province or NOC specific requirement?

Reactions: CountessO

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Hello Everyone,

No I haven't heard of anyone who requires to obtain certification for IT field ... Core engineering branches like Electrical, mechanical and civil yes they need certification to get a job but IT people don't need any such certification. I am telling this because my friends who are in IT have successfully got jobs without any certification. As long as you haven't claimed points for your certification while applying your COPR won't be affected by this certification.

CountessO

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
This is the first time I am reading about the IT field being regulated. I haven't heard or read about this before and I am from the IT field myself(NOC 2174). My application was approved a few months back without having any such certification. Is this a new requirement or a province or NOC specific requirement?
Well, some are regulated and it also depends on the province. Your NOC for instance is not regulated in Ontario.

CountessO

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
No I haven't heard of anyone who requires to obtain certification for IT field ... Core engineering branches like Electrical, mechanical and civil yes they need certification to get a job but IT people don't need any such certification. I am telling this because my friends who are in IT have successfully got jobs without any certification. As long as you haven't claimed points for your certification while applying your COPR won't be affected by this certification.
Your friends happen to be in fields that are not "regulated". Some are and also like I mentioned before it depends on the province too.

rt0308

Star Member
Mar 27, 2020
I was selected through PNP and the certificate I am talking about is the licensure which is a prerequisite for getting the ITA.