+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

turbomau5

Apr 23, 2020
Hi All, Need your help!!

I have a COPR thats valid till July 24th. I applied for my PR while I was in US and my application was processed in Ottawa. I left US for good in Feb and came to India for a month to stay with my family before my big move to Canada, and then the lockdown started. My question is, if I am unable to travel to canada before the COPR validity date, then should I raise a webform to both IRCC and Delhi office since Im currently in India even though they didnt process my case? If I have to send my passport for COPR extension, then where should I send it?

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018

I saw this on twitter. Does anyone know if this is legit? Does anyone have this experience? (photo not mine)
This might be legitimate, have been hearing lately that IRCC is going to contactless COPR ( If we can call so) to people in Canada (assuming because all the interviews are cancelled at the moment)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi All, Need your help!!

I have a COPR thats valid till July 24th. I applied for my PR while I was in US and my application was processed in Ottawa. I left US for good in Feb and came to India for a month to stay with my family before my big move to Canada, and then the lockdown started. My question is, if I am unable to travel to canada before the COPR validity date, then should I raise a webform to both IRCC and Delhi office since Im currently in India even though they didnt process my case? If I have to send my passport for COPR extension, then where should I send it?
You still have some time to travel and hopefully flights should start gradually coming back in June, nobody knows of course and assuming lockdowns are eased by then both in home countries and any transit points. People here could advise you to raise a web form saying you cannot travel right now or leave it for another 4-6 weeks to see how things develop, decision is yours though and maybe you might feel more at ease sending one now..

As for sending a passport anywhere given the thousands of people affected doubtful that will be the process versus an electronic extension should one be required. All speculation of course but hopefully common sense will rule

Reactions: icanh

sanketdalal

Apr 20, 2020
I have already filled the web form. Its not that agent can not.I mean he refused to fill it.He was not interested in helping me with this matter.Said you will have to do it urself.Wow !!I mean as u gave got all ur fee so your job is done!! I just didn't like his approach so I am thinking of doing all future correspondence my self.But at the same time I am afraid that it should not create any confusion and I should not miss out on their mails.Has any one else ever done this? Changing the contact from consultants to self?
I think you can change the email ID by yourself if you have the username and password of GC Key. In "Account Profile" you can update your email address.

NehaGupta19

Star Member
Apr 30, 2018
Punjab
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Jalandhar
NOC Code......
I wrote an email to Delhi Immigration International Office regarding visa extension since my COPR expires on May 20.
Here is what they have replied :
If you have been issued a Confirmation of Permanent Resident (COPR) document and you have not yet travelled to Canada and had your landing interview, you are still a foreign national. This means that you are subject to the restrictions and cannot travel to Canada until the restrictions is lifted. If your counterfoil expires prior to the restrictions being lifted, you do not need to email us as you will receive communication from our office on the next steps to be taken once full service resume.
My concern is :It is written on IRCC website that approved permanent residents are exempted from travel ban. Aren’t COPR holders the approved permanent residents? I don’t understand this discrepancy.

wick_sran

Mar 5, 2012
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-06-2019
IELTS Request
01-02-2019
I wrote an email to Delhi Immigration International Office regarding visa extension since my COPR expires on May 20.
Here is what they have replied :
If you have been issued a Confirmation of Permanent Resident (COPR) document and you have not yet travelled to Canada and had your landing interview, you are still a foreign national. This means that you are subject to the restrictions and cannot travel to Canada until the restrictions is lifted. If your counterfoil expires prior to the restrictions being lifted, you do not need to email us as you will receive communication from our office on the next steps to be taken once full service resume.
My concern is :It is written on IRCC website that approved permanent residents are exempted from travel ban. Aren’t COPR holders the approved permanent residents? I don’t understand this discrepancy.
Yes, you can travel if you're issued CoPR before March 18. Question is how would you travel when there is no outgoing flight?

jefferson12

Apr 5, 2020
We are all hoping that IRCC will be clearer about our CoPR extensions right? They will not give us more details because EVERYTHING is written on the website. They were very clear saying that if you can't travel, tell us why you can't, and then when you can, tell us as well. They did not say “if you cannot travel to Canada tell us why and we will see if we will give you a visa extension” It is very clear that if you cannot travel, simply tell them why. It could be several reasons (related to the Covid-19 of course) Fear of contracting the virus, difficulty stabilizing in Canada, lack of flights, canceled flights ... Of course if you can go to Canada, just go! and of course they will say you this. But as they said on the website “if you can’t travel, tell us why) and that’s it! Just tell them why. We are all afraid of losing our visa. But I really believe that EVERYONE on this boat will receive an extension.

My CoPR expires on May 29th.

Stay positive, folks.

NehaGupta19

Star Member
Apr 30, 2018
Punjab
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Jalandhar
NOC Code......
Yes, you can travel if you're issued CoPR before March 18. Question is how would you travel when there is no outgoing flight?
Exactly my point. Even if there are outgoing flights, I still would chose not to risk my life given the pandemic. I am safe at my own home in my own country. I hope Canadian government comes with the terms of not creating havoc in terms of health by inviting us over.

Reactions: Neha_khedekar

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
I think you can change the email ID by yourself if you have the username and password of GC Key. In "Account Profile" you can update your email address.
Thanks .There is a progress.As I do not have gc key etc , I had a final talk with my agent today to give me these details but he seems to be concerned.He said he will mail ircc from his side too.So I will give him some time and will consider changing the email id as a last resort.After all they are more experienced.Its good if he is ready to help me.

Reactions: sanketdalal

ravriener12

Star Member
Apr 11, 2016
This might be legitimate, have been hearing lately that IRCC is going to contactless COPR ( If we can call so) to people in Canada (assuming because all the interviews are cancelled at the moment)
This gives hope to people like me who are inland applicants. It's about time IRCC to adapt since it has been more than a month since the lockdown. Thank you for the info.

Reactions: IGOR_BR

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
This gives hope to people like me who are inland applicants. It's about time IRCC to adapt since it has been more than a month since the lockdown. Thank you for the info.
My consultant told there us very less staff in ircc offices .There are ppl who had sent their passports fot stamping but have not got even after 2 months .I think being an inland applicant you should not worry at all as they have cancelled all appointments so they will contact you.You are in no way going to lose copr .Its a tension for us who have not reached Canada.God knows when we will be able to land in the beautiful country!!BTW whats job scenario there now a days.Sp for new immigrants.Do you have any idea?Thanks

Reactions: CountessO