+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Stitha1234

May 2, 2019
@Indranil01
1. If you are sad, because you cannot land before expiry date, don't worry. All indications are that that won't be end of PR process and you will have a way to land once everything becomes normal
2. If you are sad, because the lockdown date and expiry date matches, then also don't worry. Modi, today mentioned that there will be a staggered exit. This could mean, they will slowly lift the restrictions. The last restriction could be lifted (my conjecture) is international travel bans. So, in that case the end of lockdown is beyond your COPR expiry date

Indranil01

Mar 19, 2020
Thanks for your reply! I wasn't aware of the staggered relaxations, will do some research. You are right, international travel will be a priority only at the fag end of the process. The thing is, I had left my job and had invested in this whole process (like many of us). Now, I am already unemployed, and looking at few more months of the same. Getting a job in India (or there) won't be easy given the recession that's about to begin. Essentially a massive mess.

Reactions: Kalyan C

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
Our KLM flight from Delhi to Toronto got cancelled as well, but we've not received any response for a refund. They're giving vouchers though.
Yes, you have to apply for a voucher through their website. Its been 10 days since i applied but there has been no reply from them yet

Ziyad

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, you have to apply for a voucher through their website. Its been 10 days since i applied but there has been no reply from them yet
I also cancelled my flight on Air France and received my vouchers last week. I received them through email in just over a week which is pretty quick. I would suggest you try calling Air France toll free number and speak to them as both Air France and KLM are the same.

Reactions: saad_im

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Hi everyone, I have been checking this for a while and received a lot of helpful tips. Here is my share:

My COPR expires in late May, no dependent, and I am in the situation where the country (UK) hasn't banned travel but I just don't want to risk it, plus the whole 14-day isolation is just not convenient even for a soft landing, especially when we don't know anyone there. I initially booked a return flight on 21st March, planning to do very quick soft landing, basically fly from London to Toronto and back on the same day. However due to the announcement of border shutting down on the same day that I booked my ticket (16th March) I had to cancel my flights.

So I have raised two web forms. One to Ottawa office, received a generic reply. I then raised another form to my visa office in London, UK, asked specifically whether I can get an extension based on my situation, below is their reply:

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have received your enquiry regarding the validity date of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR) and visa (if required).

Your application has been updated with notification of your current inability to travel before the expiry of your document.

Please note that your documents will remain valid for travel up until the expiry date shown on the documents, should you be able to travel before that date. Your application will not be closed or refused as a result of not being able to travel within the validity of these documents due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

Any extension to the validity of your documents will only be possible after a review of your application by an officer, to determine whether any new assessments, including a new immigration medical examination are required. Once you have met all the requirements to have your documents reissued, you will be instructed as to which documents to submit for reprinting of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR), and visa (if required). Do not submit your passport until you are instructed to do so.

Please contact our office using a IRCC Web form when you are able to travel.

While we continue to serve our clients, service disruptions and restrictions due to COVID-19 will have an impact on processing times and we are therefore not able to provide a timeframe for the completion of any assessments and at this time. We will endeavor to review your application as soon as possible.

Please consult IRCC’s web page on how COVID-19 is affecting immigration services and Canada’s Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak site for the most up to date information.

We trust that this information will be of assistance and thank you for your patience and understanding during these uncertain times.

Sincerely,

So for those who are in the similar situation, please do not worry. Like many suggested, just raise a web form specifying your case, they will be able to extend your COPR. And I am sure the reassessment will not be that complicated, even if it means we have to wait for a few more months. Thinking in a positive way, that might just give us and Canada itself some time to recover from the situation, after all, we don't want to move there and not be able to make a living.

Good luck all.
Its good they are giving such detailed reply.Delhi office sends generic response only.God knows how much time they will take to reassess the files etc.

Kiw_Lemon

Apr 2, 2020
Their website seems to be asking people to either reschedule or apply for a voucher which will be valid for 12 months. I applied for a voucher and received a reference number for my request. Its been 10 days but i havent heard back from them yet

I opted for refund on March 19th and my status remains "waiting confirmation from airlines" till today it's the same ... I tried to contact them directly as well but like I said no one is there . Only websites have stated the rescheduling so I have hope they will do.( Goibibo also stated that) I wonder if it was only KLM . Did anyone else face this with other airlines?

Kalyan C

Mar 20, 2020
Thanks for your reply! I wasn't aware of the staggered relaxations, will do some research. You are right, international travel will be a priority only at the fag end of the process. The thing is, I had left my job and had invested in this whole process (like many of us). Now, I am already unemployed, and looking at few more months of the same. Getting a job in India (or there) won't be easy given the recession that's about to begin. Essentially a massive mess.
Much the same here buddy. We've left our jobs, all poised to fly on March 21st and on 16th all the restrictions come into play. Our visa is expiring as well by the 10th of April, so just have to wait for the lockdown to be removed and instructions from the visa office.

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
Explicitly mentioned on IRCC website:

If we already approved your permanent resident application
Permanent residence applications approved on or before March 18, 2020
If your application was approved on or before March 18, 2020, but you haven’t travelled to Canada yet, you’re exempt from the travel restriction measures.

Landing appointments will be held by telephone, if possible
We cancelled all in-person permanent resident landing appointments until April 13, 2020. All landing appointments will be done by telephone whenever possible. Otherwise, we’ll reschedule them for later.

We’ll contact you by email to let you know when your phone appointment will be. Use the Web form if you need to update your contact information.

Approved permanent resident applicants with expired or expiring documents
If we already approved your permanent resident application but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, use the Web form to tell us why you can’t travel.

Once it’s possible for you to travel, use the Web form to let us know so we can tell you what to do next.
What is landing appointment for? Is it required for everybody?

kangk

Mar 19, 2020
Received an email from IRCC to inland CoPR people. This sounds a good sign that they will deal with our case gradually.
  • IRCC will be in contact with each client in this situation to clarify next steps as we adapt and resume our landing services.
  • Maintaining a legal temporary resident status is an important requirement. If your status is about to expire, you must apply online for an extension (visitor, student or worker).
  • We invite you to visit our website regularly to receive up-to-date information as more announcements are made.

JNS1214

Star Member
Mar 19, 2019
Hi guys. It breaks my heart to see so many of us affected by this situation! My own case is like a cruel joke - COPR expires on April 14 but my country (India) is on a total lockdown, also till April 14. Totally clueless, very sad. Any advice?
Tomorow is last day of my job. COPR expires on 23rd April and booked ticket for 18th April. I dont know i will be able to fly or not if locked down extend beyond 14th April.

Reactions: Jojorabbit