+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

vjexpress2019

Nov 19, 2019
What is the process to request for COPR extension? I have a COPR which is valid till Sep 30th, but with Coronavirus situation I doubt it would be safe to travel to Canada , considering I have 7 month old son. I send a request through the web form, but wondering would I get an extension?

inlandapplicant

Star Member
Mar 24, 2020
Received an email from IRCC to inland CoPR people. This sounds a good sign that they will deal with our case gradually.
  • IRCC will be in contact with each client in this situation to clarify next steps as we adapt and resume our landing services.
  • Maintaining a legal temporary resident status is an important requirement. If your status is about to expire, you must apply online for an extension (visitor, student or worker).
  • We invite you to visit our website regularly to receive up-to-date information as more announcements are made.
When is your COPr expiring?

wick_sran

Mar 5, 2012
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-06-2019
IELTS Request
01-02-2019
What is the process to request for COPR extension? I have a COPR which is valid till Sep 30th, but with Coronavirus situation I doubt it would be safe to travel to Canada , considering I have 7 month old son. I send a request through the web form, but wondering would I get an extension?
You have plenty of time.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
Wrote web form that it is unsafe to travel now and got the response bellow:
Approved permanent resident applicants with expired or expiring documents
If we already approved your permanent resident application but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, use the Web form to tell us why you can’t travel.

Once it’s possible for you to travel, use the Web form to let us know so we can tell you what to do next

Regards,

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
Wrote web form that it is unsafe to travel now and got the response bellow:
Approved permanent resident applicants with expired or expiring documents
If we already approved your permanent resident application but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, use the Web form to tell us why you can’t travel.

Once it’s possible for you to travel, use the Web form to let us know so we can tell you what to do next

Regards,
Was that their response? Did they grant you an extension, or what?

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
You don't need an extension. By September it should be safe to travel.

going2CA

Sep 16, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
17-10-2019
Passport Req..
09-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2020
LANDED..........
27-8-2020

going2CA

Sep 16, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
17-10-2019
Passport Req..
09-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2020
LANDED..........
27-8-2020
Anyone here who can tell me how long it takes to receive pr card after landing?

Sachubai

Mar 27, 2020
My copr end June 18..now I'm n oman.. Here also situation bad.. Idnt knw situation is become worse or not... Any one can to suggest one good opinion for raising web form

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Nobody knows what the policy will be for granting any extensions although at this point doubtful that anybody would get a positive response where their COPR expires in 6 months versus people with COPRs expiring in next couple months who literally cannot travel at all. The challenge for many people may be being able to demonstrate not being able to travel due to travel restrictions versus not being inclined to travel even if restrictions hopefully have been removed. at some point

Nothing to stop you sending a web form but maybe do not expect much in reply.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Much the same here buddy. We've left our jobs, all poised to fly on March 21st and on 16th all the restrictions come into play. Our visa is expiring as well by the 10th of April, so just have to wait for the lockdown to be removed and instructions from the visa office.
Guys lets all put our request on twitter.We may get a generic response ryt now but atleast they will be alerted that many ppl's pr is on stake due to the lock down.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Hi everyone, I have been checking this for a while and received a lot of helpful tips. Here is my share:

My COPR expires in late May, no dependent, and I am in the situation where the country (UK) hasn't banned travel but I just don't want to risk it, plus the whole 14-day isolation is just not convenient even for a soft landing, especially when we don't know anyone there. I initially booked a return flight on 21st March, planning to do very quick soft landing, basically fly from London to Toronto and back on the same day. However due to the announcement of border shutting down on the same day that I booked my ticket (16th March) I had to cancel my flights.

So I have raised two web forms. One to Ottawa office, received a generic reply. I then raised another form to my visa office in London, UK, asked specifically whether I can get an extension based on my situation, below is their reply:

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have received your enquiry regarding the validity date of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR) and visa (if required).

Your application has been updated with notification of your current inability to travel before the expiry of your document.

Please note that your documents will remain valid for travel up until the expiry date shown on the documents, should you be able to travel before that date. Your application will not be closed or refused as a result of not being able to travel within the validity of these documents due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

Any extension to the validity of your documents will only be possible after a review of your application by an officer, to determine whether any new assessments, including a new immigration medical examination are required. Once you have met all the requirements to have your documents reissued, you will be instructed as to which documents to submit for reprinting of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR), and visa (if required). Do not submit your passport until you are instructed to do so.

Please contact our office using a IRCC Web form when you are able to travel.

While we continue to serve our clients, service disruptions and restrictions due to COVID-19 will have an impact on processing times and we are therefore not able to provide a timeframe for the completion of any assessments and at this time. We will endeavor to review your application as soon as possible.

Please consult IRCC’s web page on how COVID-19 is affecting immigration services and Canada’s Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak site for the most up to date information.

We trust that this information will be of assistance and thank you for your patience and understanding during these uncertain times.

Sincerely,

So for those who are in the similar situation, please do not worry. Like many suggested, just raise a web form specifying your case, they will be able to extend your COPR. And I am sure the reassessment will not be that complicated, even if it means we have to wait for a few more months. Thinking in a positive way, that might just give us and Canada itself some time to recover from the situation, after all, we don't want to move there and not be able to make a living.

Good luck all.
I am scared of this word reassessment.Why do and what do they want to reassess.I wish they check only the causes of our inability to travel .
Otherwise it would take a long time.6 month is normal express entry processing time.If they take 2 months for extension only then its like unnecessary and unjustified delay in reaching Canada.I have to reach there before Sept I am getting too restless.Just keeping my fingers crossed they reply fast.